“Anniversary Dinner”
Review of Sycamore

Sycamore
Reserve with OpenTable
Sycamore is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 285 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

We came to Sycamore for our special anniversary dinner and enjoyed ourselves very much. We started out with the Frisse Salad, which was very tasty, but could have used a tad more acid...yummy nonetheless. Our main courses consisted of the Chicken, which was very moist and tender, and the Steak Fritte, which was cooked perfectly to order! The restaurant gave us a lovely dessert wine to celebrate our anniversary. We then had Raspberry Sorbet and Beneit Balls for dessert. The noise level was a little high (but not impossible to hear each other) and the bench seating got a little uncomfortable by the end of the evening. But a great dining experience overall! Our waiter was extremely friendly and made sure everything was served timely and to order.

Reviewed 5 January 2018

My wife and I almost left the restaurant because we were waiting so long for the food which, upon arrival, was so salty and greasy that we were both sick after a few bites and for the entire night afterwards. Thankfully, we went to this place because we got a gift card from a friend – so the wallet crunch was not so bad. However, we felt gypped – this is the best way to describe the experience. Despite making a reservation, we had to wait for a table. The service felt very forced throughout. We have eaten at many restaurants in Europe and understand that a fine dining experience should be eloquent with careful attention to detail, all while respecting the customer. Waiters serve the meal and then let you just sit there and enjoy it (all while accomplishing their duties like a ghost!). There were several instances during the meal when the waiters were a little over boundaries - moving items we had placed on the table – my eyeglasses, for example. The service felt very staged and not customer-centric. I was asked repeatedly if I wanted another glass of wine, although I had made it clear I didn't. We had to hold our menus during the appetizer cheese tray and were repeatedly asked if we had any questions on the menus even though we were very much ready to order! The cheese was okay, the brioche crackers were actually quite good and seemed fresh. Once we were able to order, it was another long wait for our single entrée and two sides to arrive. All the while, the waiter seemed to lose interest in us since we were not ordering more drinks or large expensive items. We both felt very pushed to spend money during the entirety of our time. When the food finally arrived, it was so bad, and I hate to be so negative in my review. We were really shocked – especially given the reviews and the price! The steak was very tough, it had a decent flavor, but overall tough and salty. The fries were bland at best. The Brussel sprouts were so salty and greasy, coated in this blue cheese "break your teeth" hard bacon bit solution – I think this is what made us so sick. The polenta was okay, again just very heavy and salty and greasy. Even the butter had salt in it! I think we will definitely NOT go back. If you’re considering this restaurant, I would recommend you skip it and go to the Abbey (Washington Square) instead. They have much better food, for fair prices, with a classier vibe and good service! I’ve never been disappointed there!

1  Thank Adventurocity
Reviewed 4 January 2018

It certainly has the people fooled. It's like the kings new clothes; different is supposed to be good, whether it is or boot.

2  Thank Alexander6310
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

We had a 5:30 reservation on a Thursday night.We were seated promptly by the friendly staff.This is a small restaurant so I highly recommend a reservation.In fact you may have to look out a couple weeks if you are looking for 6-8pm.

I had the Jacks Abbey smoked lager,great local brewery.She had the Cranberry Collins and friends had the Petit Pavelli,Bordeaux.These were all excellent but I think the wine by the glass selection is quite limited.

We started with two items from the snack menu.We had some marinated olives which were fine to nibble on while we contemplated our dinner choices.We also had the Chorizo Croquettes which everyone loved.

For entrees we had the Baked Mushroom Pasta,and the Hudson Valley Duck Board for 2.
The mushroom pasta was excellent.It was a large folded piece of pasta with chanterelles,porcini,celery root and creme fraiche.This was one of the best dishes I have tried recently.
The Hudson Valley Duck board was composed of duck pastrami on small potato pancakes,duck confit,baked duck breast and poutine.The bites of the confit were unreal.Fall off the bone tender with maximum flavor.The duck pastrami was unremarkable and the baked duck was way too rare and chewy.The poutine was decadent and very tasty.

We thought this was a very nice restaurant,I would have given 5 stars if they had the Duck Confit as an entree and skipped the rest of the Duck Board.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

Our family had dinner at Sycamore on my husband's birthday. Made the reservation way ahead of time. Waitress told us that we had the table for the evening and attentively served us. Since it was October, we had their delicious German meat platter which three of us shared. Others like the chicken dinner. Would definitely go again!!