“Most enjoyable stay in an original 19th century house”

167 Water Bed and Breakfast
167 Water Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 7 Newburyport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 June 2015

I am a cyclist from the UK spending a few days cycling in the Newburyport area. This B&B was an ideal base. It's at the quieter end of town on the road to Plum Island with very little traffic passing during the evening and at nighttime.

The exterior of the property belies its interior. The outside of the B&B looks unappealing from the road but once inside its very different. I found the interior to be quaint with its original floorboards and staircases. The rooms aren't en suite but this isn't an issue for me. My room had interesting decor and was clean and comfortable. The B&B only has two bedrooms and I had the one at the back. This had lovely views over the estuary towards Plum Island which was especially atmospheric after dark with the twinkling lights in the distance. So nice I didn't draw the curtains! Most important for me was that it was quiet making for a good nights sleep. Just be aware that there is a water treatment plant at the rear of the property and visible from the rear bedroom. This wasn't an issue for me in practice as there is still the fabulous view beyond. I didn't experience any smells.

The hosts, Chuch and Anne, were very friendly and obliging. I was staying alone so it was nice to have someone to talk to when I returned in the evening or over breakfast. I was intrigued by what they told me about he history of the house. Breakfast was more than adequate consisting of fruit, cereals, toast, bagels, boiled eggs and tea/coffee. I don't particularly like English style cooked breakfasts so this suited me fine.

I'd definitely return to the B&B. If you are looking for luxury accommodation with en suite facilities this B&B may not be for you. I'd far rather stay in a place with character like this than some clinical, sanitised accommodation. But at the price point I think it represented good value.

Room Tip: Rear bedroom quieter
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank Neil P

Reviewed 16 June 2015

My boyfriend and I absolutely LOVED this small bed and breakfast in the heart of Newburyport. The B&B is located in an old house that is so beautiful! And the location made it easy to walk to either downtown attractions or bike to the beach. Breakfast was wholesome and healthy and set out at 7:30 am every morning: freshly cut fruits, Greek yogurts, hard boiled eggs, a variety of cereals, bagels and breads ... and teas and Keurig coffees in many flavors. Oh ... and several juices. Just wonderful. But above all, the owners were such wonderful people -- they really made THIS B&B rise above others we have stayed at. The couple (Chuck and Anne) felt more like good friends than hotel managers. I cannot say enough positive things about them ... they were kind, helpful, and just fun upbeat people.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms. Bamako was ours. It is on the street side so with open windows, you can hear...
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rose W
Reviewed 12 June 2015 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a night's getaway for his birthday. Given the price, it was a no brainer. I did my research and was aware of the unique view from our room of the treatment plant, so everything was pretty much as expected.

In the spirit of transparency, if you are looking for a luxurious high-end B and B, don't stay here. However if you want a no-frills experience similar to staying with a welcoming family friend, you will probably enjoy yourself.

The house itself is very conveniently located. Walking distance to everything and plenty of parking. Once you get past the treatment plant, the view of the river is actually quite breathtaking. We also did not smell anything while we were there. It's also decorated with all sorts of artifacts from the couple's travels, which was pretty cool.

There are no outside locks on the doors, so if you leave the premises your room remains unlocked. There is also a shared bathroom, which never was an issue.

One aspect of the stay I failed to read up on was breakfast. I was under the impression that it was cooked, and it's not which was a little disappointing, but given the price point, I should have expected that. They do, however, leave out quite a spread. We had our selection of yogurt, toast, bagels, cereal, hard boiled eggs and fruit, so we were happy!

The hosts, Chuck and Anne, sat with us and made us feel quite at home. In asking about some of the African decor you quickly realize what interesting lives they have, and that they truly love traveling (Anne was in the Peace Corps!).

The one suggestion I'd give to them is to fix the bed in the Sorrento Room. Though it was quite comfy, the half closest to the wall squeaked at the slightest movement, and for a light sleeper like myself, woke me up a few times.

All in all, a wonderful stay with wonderful hosts! We hope to be back soon.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alisonlaura
Reviewed 3 June 2015

My mom and I went to Newburyport for Mother's day weekend and stayed at 167 Water. We had a great time--the B&B is beautiful and Anne and Chuck and excellent hosts! I would definitely recommend it for anyone traveling in the area.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank lilysS1273QE
Reviewed 20 May 2015

Decided to make a trip to Newburyport at the last minute and found this lovely little spot. Only two rooms and a shared bath, but Chuck and Anne made us feel like family. Our room had a view of the river and a sweet back garden, very close to town but also on the road out to Plum Island, which was our real reason for being there. Over breakfast we had a great time chatting with Chuck about their many travels -- the house is full of their collection of native art from around the world -- and Anne is a local so plenty of advice on things to do and th history of the town. Great fun! I'll be back!!

Room Tip: River view is best, away from road noise.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
0.7 km away
4.7 km away
Blue - Inn on the Beach
Blue - Inn on the Beach
#1 of 1 in Plum Island

Been to 167 Water Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!