“Real indeed, and delicious!”
Review of Real Gusto

Real Gusto
Reserve with OpenTable
Real Gusto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 148 Restaurants in Medford
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Reviewed 20 April 2016 via mobile

We've eaten here for dinner twice, lunch once, and had take out pizza. This place is fast becoming a local favorite. Wonderfully charming staff (many are extended family members of owners or the owners themselves). The food is the star. I've been to Bologna, Tuscany, Venice and Real Gusto does authentic Italian food very, very well. Don't be put off by what may look like a nail salon in the front section. It's a shop featuring Italian products, but IMHO a poor use of space, because it might deter people from trying the lovely restaurant in the back. Special oven produces amazing pizza.

Reviewed 12 April 2016

Was on high street and noticed a new italian restaurant went in ordered the broccoli soup it was delicious!!! The second time purchased the lingingi bolognese incredible!!!! the pizza is what you would get in italy, my favorite dessert there is the tiramisu!

Reviewed 11 April 2016

If you didn’t know this was a restaurant, the signage is not clear - “Real Gusto” is prominent but the fact that it is a restaurant is hard to figure out. Looking in the window, festooned along the perimeter with a light tube, my husband was certain it was a beauty parlor - there are some tables in the front that look like a waiting area for a spa or salon and jars/bottles of food products displayed such that they look like shampoos or conditioners. But then, keep looking toward the back, and you see the restaurant tables. The large space in the mid area of the rectangular space, where food products are sold to take home, feels wrong because the space is large but the products for sale, the sales counter, etc, take up very little space in the large area. To us, it felt like an identity crisis. Either make the market concept more of a ‘thing' or do away with it - because the restaurant itself, once you make your way to the back, is excellent as a stand alone - the decor is elegantly simple - white, fresh, bright, cheerful - and it it situated directly on the bank of the Mystic, so the view out of the wall to wall bank of rear windows, is beautiful. In this back section, the ambiance if wonderful - the kitchen is open, the pizza oven is on full display, it’s terrific!

The pizza was by far our favorite dish, super authentic, absolutely excellent, and we would definitely order it to go, making our way thru the full menu as all of the pizzas sounded amazing. We ordered the campagnola pizza with artichokes, proscuitto, sundried tomatoes, olives - yum! But I have to say that after reading other reviews, I expected to be blown away by the food and by extreme hospitality. Though the service was efficient, it was perfunctory and when I expressed interest in hearing how the owners had moved here from Italy, I was given a fairly indifferent single sentence reply - and the restaurant was not busy, we were in fact the only diners there. At $16 for the pasta arrabbiata, I expected fresh house made pasta which I did not get. I was under the mistaken impression that all pastas are house made but that is not true; the tomato sauce was light and nicely spiced, but it just was not special enough. At $20, the gorgonzola and pear risotto was very nice, though very heavy - yes, gorgonzola is not exactly a light cheese, but the dish itself was heavy - I recommend more pears, less cheese. A few tablespoons of the dish would have been nice as a side, not two cups of it as a main. The fish of the day was cod, in a light lovely tomato preparation - it was slightly overcooked but not fatally, the real issue being that the flavor profile was nothing to get too excited about. Wines by the glass were pricey. I am not one to take umbrage with prices when I am awed by the dishes and the service, but I feel that most dishes here, particularly the pastas and the wines, are overpriced for what you’re getting, particularly in a suburban location.
I feel that there is excellent potential here but that the restaurant needs to be rebranded and more obviously identified as a restaurant. It’s a hard restaurant to find online, and even when you find it on the street, you are likely to walk past it and miss it, wondering if you should get your hair done there.

Reviewed 8 March 2016

Real Gusto is a rather remarkable place. It is owned and carefully run by a young couple from Italy and their cuisine is truly delicious and very 'Italian', rather than the often heavy Italian-American red-sauce style. The centerpiece of the open kitchen is a massive wood burning oven imported from Italy that is used to turn out superb pizzas. At lunch, the 10 inch pizzas are offered in several versions and run $10 to $12. I loved the Puglia which was a perfect crusty pizza with creamy mozzarella, broccoli rabe and sausage. The balance of flavors was perfect and it was a delicious pie! There are several large salads on the menu and numerous starters as well. Two people could easily split a salad or other appetizer and share a pizza, though, the pizzas are so good sharing might be tough. There are also numerous pasta options, risottos and other classic Italian dishes with meat, fish and seafood. There is an extensive winelist with a good selection of Italian wines including an Amarone and a Barolo. My one wish would be for a couple of lower end wines by the glass and by the bottle. I just can't get used to paying $10 for a glass of wine anywhere since I enjoy wine and have a good selection of every day and splurge wines at home. The atmosphere at Real Gusto is lovely, the interior is a creamy white and large windows facing the Mystic River let in lots of light. A great place for a relaxed lunch and I'm sure a lovely dinner venue as well. This restaurant is REALLY good and deserves active support. It is a terrific addition to Medford.

Reviewed 26 February 2016 via mobile

We ate here early on a Friday evening, and by the time we left, I don't think there were any free tables.

We started off with a couple of appetizers: bruschetta and two salads. For the main entrees we got the pasta arribiata, pasta Bolognese, risotto with mushrooms, and pasta with salmon. All were authentic and tasty.
We ordered a bottle of red, a 2012 Montepulciano which went well with the risotto.

For dessert we got the tiramisu and the calzone stuffed with Nutella. The latter could have been stellar but wasn't--I think it was overcooked. That's brought it down to really good. The tiramisu was really good--but not the best I've had.
Service was provided by a native of Rome and was excellent. Parking on street. No problem.
Prices were maybe a little bit high but the fresh ingredients make it worthwhile.

I would eat here again.