“Lovely Lake-side Italian Restaurant”
Review of Allora Ristorante

Allora Ristorante
Ranked #9 of 155 Restaurants in Marlborough
Price range: US$11 - US$62
Good for: Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 September 2016

For months my wife and I had been looking for an opportunity to visit Allora Restaurant, and when we finally did we were delighted. We arrived just before sunset on a warm summer evening and were immediately seated on the lovely outdoor deck overlooking a lake. Sipping prosecco as we watched the sky turn brilliant colors as the sun sank behind the hills across the lake was magical!

Our waiter Joseph was friendly and patient as we dawdled over the interesting Italian menu, which reminded me of many of the delicious meals prepared in my childhood by my Italian grandmother, who was a genius in the kitchen. We finally settled on antipasto and a variety of different hot appetizers -- fried calamari, baked ravioli, eggplant rollatini -- which all appeared quickly in healthy but not overwhelming portions. Each was delicious, cooked perfectly, and well matched to the prosecco.

As entrees, we ordered a pasta dish and a seafood dish of pan-seared scallops. The pasta -- orrechiette or small cap-like cups of pasta with home-made sausage and broccoli rabe in an Alfredo-like cream sauce -- was incredibly delicious. The scallops were equally good. Everything had a fresh, home-made quality (just like Nonna's cooking long ago!), and none of it seemed pre-cooked and warmed up to serve. Both of us were delighted with our entrees and we kept stealing bites from the other's plate.

We shared a dessert of pistachio semi-freddo with an Italian cherry sauce -- also with a wonderful home-made taste -- but a bit too rich and over-the-top. Altogether a delicious, very satisfying evening meal!

As we were about to leave, feeling happy and very well fed, I stopped at the men's room, and noticed on the wall a framed essay by Allora owner Joe Ferro. It shared Ferro's wonderful insights on what it means to be Italian in America these days and heralded the culture of the Italian kitchen as the core value of Italian life. I commented to the headwaiter that Ferro's words summoned up all the nostalgic memories of my own Italian grandmother and grandfather, and he whipped out a copy of the essay from a drawer and gave it to me to take home to read and re-read at leisure. Allora is a family restaurant where each diner is made to feel part of a larger "Famiglia!" I would recommend it happily to anyone!

Reviewed 1 September 2016

Over a handful of years, Allora has provided our small company a wonderful option for conducting morning work shops. Although Allora was/is not open (in AM) their consistent flexibility (be sure to talk with Manager Laura Palmer) allowed as few as 12 and as many as 20/25 to attend our ¾ day workshop.

The arrival of particpants to morning and break pastry were always excellent, and the luncheon menus were equally outstanding. The service was consistently very good, and the involved cost was very fair.

For a location that is very attractive to many, our returns to Allora were ideal and our evaluations from participants fully supported our initial and follow up decisions. Going to Allora is a win/win for our clients, associates and thus our company.

Allora_139, Owner at Allora Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2016

Frank, It is always a pleasure to accommodate you and your groups. We always try to take extra steps to meet our guests expectations and am so pleased to receive your wonderful review. - Laura

Reviewed 19 August 2016

Appetizers were very good. Everyone really liked their sandwiches that came with fries or salad. Restaurant was very nice inside and out. Very pretty right on the lake. Service was excellent. Would definitely recommend to family and friends.

Allora_139, Owner at Allora Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2016

Thank you very much for reviewing your experience. We were very happy to have you choose Allora and hope to see you on your trips back up to area. Please be sure to let me know when you are coming so I can personally welcome you. My very best to your family. Laura

Reviewed 14 August 2016

we had fried oysters and steamers and they were excellent. the drinks were great but when the meals came, the veal marsala was awful, the $58.00 rib eye was not cooked, my risotto and lanb was tasteless. for the price of these meals we were all extremely dissappointed. the total bell was $295.00. was not worth it.

I am so sorry to hear that your entrees were not as expected. We do everything in our means to ensure you have the very best experience including food, atmosphere and service. I understand that the manager took the lamb entrée off of the bill in hopes of resolving the issue that was brought to his attention. I hope that you would visit us in the future for another opportunity to show you that we are worth it.

Reviewed 3 August 2016

We were looking for an "in the middle" place to meet for drinks and appetizers with another couple and ended up at Allora. It was the perfect night to enjoy their lovely deck. Their drink menu is fun, and I actually didn't even review the wine list, which I normally do, so I can't comment on that. We had a variety of apps and they were all enjoyable. The prices are a bit high, hence the four stars. The fried clams were perfectly done, calamari was good, but at least two of the four of us wished the hot peppers had not been breaded and fried. The bruschetta is a delight! I'd say the only disappoint was the brie appetizer. I found that to be completely underwhelming. I enjoyed the pleasant and helpful staff. I like it when staff is able to convey to customers that they enjoy being at work. We would definitely plan a return visit when in the area.

Thank you for your comments. We really appreciate the feedback in order to improve all the time. We hope that you visit us again when in the area and please introduce yourselves so we can personally thank you. Laura