“Loved the food and the atmosphere”

El Potro Mexican Bar & Grill
Ranked #15 of 157 Restaurants in Malden
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Description: At El Potro Mexican Bar and Grill, you'll experience authentic Mexican and Central American cuisine at its finest. Using recipes handed down from generation to generation, our family-owned restaurant has created a menu full of traditional meals prepared daily with fresh, homemade ingredients. Don't miss our music nights with a live Mariachi band! With music, food, and hand-carved Mexican furniture, El Potro makes you feel like you're in Mexico! We are now open at three locations: Malden, Somerville and Lowell, Massachusetts. Come by for a visit!
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We found El Potro via an Internet search for a place to have dinner. We'd just spent a day doing touristy things in Boston returned to our Airbnb in Malden, tired, footsore and hungry. Our criteria was for something nearby, casual, and quick. El Potro was a perfect choice for us.

The restaurant was about a 5-minute drive on city streets, no fighting commuter traffic on the Interstate. As many have mentioned, the restaurant has its own lot across the street offering plenty of parking. The interior of the restaurant is brightly decorated with ceramics and, unsurprisingly, sports a Mexican motif. The basket of fresh tortilla chips and salsa was eagerly welcomed. So was the second basket, with which we ordered and then devoured fresh Guacamole. We declined a third basket.

The meals ordered were demolished quickly and I cannot remember all of what we ordered but I had the Carne Asada and very much enjoyed how it was prepared. It came on the medium-well side but was flavourful and tender. I recall that one of our sons ordered the Fajitas Trio but missed the rest as we all focused on our meals and there was little left after we finished eating and no need for anyone to help finish someone else's meal.

The staff were friendly and were sure to refill our drinks. Plus they were amused at my using tourist Spanish during our meal. We would happily return to El Potro given a future opportunity.

ElPotroMexicanGrill, Manager at El Potro Mexican Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

Thank you so very much for kind words. Your review was rich with language and detail; it was as if you took us through a journey. We are so happy you enjoyed your visit with us. Your story is a story which warms our heart, as it tell the story of a family enjoying their meal around a warm table. We are a family restaurant, and we put the care & detail into everything we do so that we can provide an environment and atmosphere for stories like yours.

We hope you enjoyed your visit to Boston as much as you enjoyed our little restaurant. Thank you again for the care and time it took to write such a beautiful story. Please do stop in and see us again in you are in the area.

Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

If you want authentic Mexican food come to El Potro Mexican. The staffs were really nice and attentive. The salsa were freshly made. If you get the cheese dip add couple drops of the hot sauce to get a little bit of the spice kick. The steak carnitas entree were flavorful, however it was cook well done. Margaritas is really good and strong.

ElPotroMexicanGrill, Manager at El Potro Mexican Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Calvin...

Thank you for taking the time to write and for the great details in your endorsement. We always encourage folks to bring the heat when they can, and love to hear that you enjoyed doing so on your visit.

What we love most of all is the nod to our authenticity. We work hard to make sure that every customer experiences the true tastes of Mexico, incorporating not only the same ingredients and flavors, but also the care in every recipe.

Thank you again for taking the time to write & we hope that you will find your way to visit with us again soon.

Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

The restaurant is large, nicely decorated and there is plenty of parking! The food was delicious! We were impressed!

ElPotroMexicanGrill, Manager at El Potro Mexican Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2017

Thank you very much for your kind words. We always want to leave our customers with the best impression we can. Reading words like "delicious" allows us to believe we have done just that. We appreciate the feedback & hope that we can continue to earn your praise & most of all the opportunity for you to dine with us again.

Reviewed 7 June 2017

I had El Porto cater my husband's birthday party of twenty guests. Sal, the manager, was very helpful in taking my order and on the day of pick up saw to all the details. The food smelled fabulous, looked amazing and was absolutely delicious. The Carne Asada was a big hit with the guest. A few mentioned that they normally don't eat beef but found it was outstanding. Thank you Sal and your kitchen crew for making such a big hit a the party!

ElPotroMexicanGrill, Manager at El Potro Mexican Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2017

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate the feedback and will share it with Sal & our staff. Making folks happy and opening them up to new flavors and experiences are all a part of the goal we have each day. We want to bring the sights, sounds and flavors, :as well as aromas!} of Mexico to your table; whether you eat in or take out.

Thank you again for taking the time to write & we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2017

El Potro, which my daughter selected, is clean restaurant featuring a touristy Mexican decor. Parking was convenient at a free lot across the street. The friendly waitstaff seemed to be of Mexican extraction, as did other patrons at a nearby table, always a good sign when you are looking for Mexican food.

The menu has all the usual North American dishes that pass for Mexican. I ordered a house margarita which could be big enough for two, but I wasn't driving. My daughter drank water. She ordered a guacamole app that was fresh and tasty. I focused more on the freshly baked tortilla chips and salsa.

As an entree my daugter ordered enchillada suizas and I had chicken quesadillas. Her dish looked great. Mine was good and the serving was ample, but I wished I had ordered something else. It usually takes me a few visits to a particular Mexican restaurant to zero in on what I like best.

Unfortunately the service was consistently slow and inattentive. This was surprising since on this weeknight there were many empty tables.

We were neglected all evening, and if had been a dishonest person, I'm sure we could have left unnoticed without paying, I didn't do that, but I really had to go out of my way to get a bill and pay it. I can't recommend this restaurant for that reason.

Thank you for your kind words and honest, detailed feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to write. What a customer thinks is very important to us, as we like to review all comments, good and poor from customers with our staff, so we can improve upon the customer experience for you and every customer. For us its not about just putting our best on to your plate or into your glass, it is also creating a warm, inviting experience for all of our guests. You are our eyes and ears, and what you have to say, and how you feel really matters.

As such I am sorry that your experience has soured you on the idea of returning. Certainly that is not what we want. I would welcome the opportunity to speak further to see what we could do to earn back your business. If you are interested in speaking further, please email me direct at joe@elpotromexicangrill.com.

If you are not interested, we understand, and we then would like to thank you again for taking the time to write. We do hope that you will consider a return visit in the future.