New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Porthole Pub
Ranked #10 of 177 Restaurants in Lynn
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Alabama
“My favorite restaurant in the entire world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

I previously lived in Marblehead, Mass, and ate so often, that I usually spent $500/month in that restaurant, and that was in the early 80s. I was took family, friends, and entertained customers there, What made it so special is that the entire extended family worked there.
Everything on their menu was wonderful, fresh, and they were proud of everything that they served.
I am back home in Alabama, but I have sent 3 friends there that are boaters, traveling the area, and everyone raved about the food, the atmosphere, and the owner, Bob. He was Bobby when he was younger, and so was I.
I spent Thanksgiving week in the area last year, and visited 3 times, met the owner again, and he told me about the nice people that I had sent to meet him, and to dine there.

• Visited November 2010

Boston, Massachusetts
“Good for a local meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

If your in the Lynn area, probably one of the best around. Decent food, decent prices. Service has always been good. I always get the same thing Liver and onions, it's one of the few restaurants I frequent that always has it on the menu. I love the Delmonaco potatoes too. The menu is basic, seafood, steaks, chicken. Some good apetizers and the seafood items are good. I like the house dressing. The porthole usually serves an older crowd, not too many young people in attendance, unless it's a family with kids. I've never had any service problems, waitstaff has always been friendly and efficient.

• Visited April 2011
Boston, MA
“Good Food, Indifferent Service, Beware of Flies”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

We decided to take my wife's aunt out for Sunday lunch and chose to stay local, so we went to the Porthole Pub. We've been at this location many times, so decided, why not?

We were seated immediately without reservations, and the restaurant was not busy. We were given the regular menu and a menu with a broad array of luncheon specials, and a basket of fresh, moist Italian bread with butter.

Our order was taken fairly quickly. Each entree came with a choice of vegetable, starch, and Caesar or garden salad. The salads came out shortly after ordering, and were fresh and crispy with good dressings, even though it looked like about a cup of greens spread thinly on a chilled plate.

Our group ordered a variety of seafood, beef, and chicken. I had the fried chicken plate, and it was very tasty except for when I encountered a small hunk of chicken fat lodged inside some fried goodness. French fries and carrots rounded out my meal, and they were fine.

Everyone enjoyed their meal except my daughters. One ordered fried shrimp, and they arrived with the tails on (as well as some shell, as she said she got a "crunch" that was a little unexpected on a couple of pieces, which turned her off). My other daughter got steak tips that were delicious and cooked perfectly, but some flies that troubled our table decided to land on pretty much each piece on her plate and she got "grossed out" and decided not to eat any more. My wife got swordfish which was PERFECT, and my wife's aunt got lemon pepper haddock which she liked very much. So overall, the food was "good" only because of the shrimp issue and the fly issue.

Overall our server was, as the table described, "blase." Not a fireball, no eye contact, looked like he wanted to crawl home for a nap. No problems really, but no connection at all.

Overall, I'd recommend the food here, and the value is very good for the dollar.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank DieselDad
Saugus, Massachusetts
“Nice restaurant but slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

This was the second time I went there for lunch. The service was slow and the mixed grill which incluced a piece of chicken, boneless pork chop and large sausage was dry and overcooked. The pork chop and chicken were cold and the sausage was scalding hot as if it had just been microwaved on high. The service was slow. I heard a waitress say they were busy but less than half the tables were occupied. The first time we ate there a few months prior it was good. Maybe they were just having an off day.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank dtiger
Lynn, Massachusetts
“Not Impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

Although the Scallops Jason appetizer was good, and the filet mignon was cooked just as ordered, the fried seafood plate tasted “off” (probably frozen). The seafood at my local roast beef take-out place is better. There were only 2 fried shrimp on the whole platter, one of which still had the black intestine line still running along the back (gross). We went on a Tuesday night, and it wasn't crowded at all (maybe 10-12 occupied tables), but it took about 20 minutes to get our drinks, and a REALLY long time for our entrees to arrive. The waitress was good, and she checked back with us often, so I don’t think it was her fault the bartender took so long to make our drinks, and the kitchen took so long to make our food. There were only two of us at our table, and from the time we walked in the door of the Porthole (we were seated immediately) to the time we received our check, it was just under 2 hours. I suppose sitting outside on the deck for drinks would be nice, but for dinner, we won't be back.

• Visited August 2011