“Great place to meet friends for lunch 😋”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mateus Place Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 53 Restaurants in Ludlow
Reviewed 13 October 2016 via mobile

I have lunch at Mateus 4 to 5 times a week, a great place to meet with your friends for lunch. They serve Portuguese style dishes witch i enjoy with some red wine. Good atmosphere good food and their prices are reasonable.

Reviewed 19 May 2016

Took my baby sister to lunch here the other day! She had the baked scrod with a gorgeous array of gently cooked vegetables... I had the Pork Allentejana, a dish including clams, potatoes, pickled vege's in a nice broth... excellent.
They serve both ethenic Portuguese dishes as well as American food in a clean atmosphere. Our waitress was a hoot!
We enjoyed our meal here and we will be back!
In fact, my "Baby Sister" booked this restaurant for a small wedding reception for her girlfriend.
Try Mateus, you'll like it

Reviewed 27 March 2016

The food was authentic, with the grilled flavor we associate with Portugal. We had grilled baby squid, grilled bacalhau (cod) and chicken francaise. All were just right and the big plates looked like they held a giant mound of food, but we scarfed up most of it. The rolls were delicious, crusty outside and chewy inside. The bartender was filling in for the waitress in the dining room. He was friendly, knowledgeable and courteous. This was our second visit while passing through the Springfield area, but won't be our last.

Reviewed 19 December 2015

I have eaten at Mateus through it's various chefs for many years for both lunch and dinner. It has been generally good.
I guess you can not judge a place by one meal . . .
Last night, Alentejana, though on the menu, was offered as a 'special'. I often have this dish in a Portuguese restaurant. However, if last night's offering where the first I had had in my life, I am not sure I would have it again. It was 'OK', but hardly up to the 'Ludlow standard' for this dish. I have to say I was unexpectedly disappointed.

Something has changed . . . Or maybe it was not a good night?
Eventually, I will go back again and see how they are doing.
Atmosphere: About the same as it has been . . . Acceptable, but not staggering.
(I go for food before atmosphere . . . the food fell short this time.)
Value: OK . . . 1/2 bottle, one starter, 2 entrée, no desert . $40 before tip.

Reviewed 25 April 2015

Everything was just okay from the atmosphere to the dessert.

There is no atmosphere, the service was less than welcoming, the food was acceptable and the prices are higher than other area restaurants.

1  Thank Dana S