“EXCELLENT FOOD, REASONABLY PRICED, WITH A FUN WAITSTAFF!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mateus Place Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 53 Restaurants in Ludlow
Reviewed 19 May 2016

Took my baby sister to lunch here the other day! She had the baked scrod with a gorgeous array of gently cooked vegetables... I had the Pork Allentejana, a dish including clams, potatoes, pickled vege's in a nice broth... excellent.
They serve both ethenic Portuguese dishes as well as American food in a clean atmosphere. Our waitress was a hoot!
We enjoyed our meal here and we will be back!
In fact, my "Baby Sister" booked this restaurant for a small wedding reception for her girlfriend.
Try Mateus, you'll like it

Reviewed 27 March 2016

The food was authentic, with the grilled flavor we associate with Portugal. We had grilled baby squid, grilled bacalhau (cod) and chicken francaise. All were just right and the big plates looked like they held a giant mound of food, but we scarfed up most of it. The rolls were delicious, crusty outside and chewy inside. The bartender was filling in for the waitress in the dining room. He was friendly, knowledgeable and courteous. This was our second visit while passing through the Springfield area, but won't be our last.

Reviewed 19 December 2015

I have eaten at Mateus through it's various chefs for many years for both lunch and dinner. It has been generally good.
I guess you can not judge a place by one meal . . .
Last night, Alentejana, though on the menu, was offered as a 'special'. I often have this dish in a Portuguese restaurant. However, if last night's offering where the first I had had in my life, I am not sure I would have it again. It was 'OK', but hardly up to the 'Ludlow standard' for this dish. I have to say I was unexpectedly disappointed.

Something has changed . . . Or maybe it was not a good night?
Eventually, I will go back again and see how they are doing.
Atmosphere: About the same as it has been . . . Acceptable, but not staggering.
(I go for food before atmosphere . . . the food fell short this time.)
Value: OK . . . 1/2 bottle, one starter, 2 entrée, no desert . $40 before tip.

Reviewed 25 April 2015

Everything was just okay from the atmosphere to the dessert.

There is no atmosphere, the service was less than welcoming, the food was acceptable and the prices are higher than other area restaurants.

1  Thank Dana S
Reviewed 26 March 2015

It seems that most of my reviews are in the 4 circle (Very Good) category. That is because, like most of us, I don't want average or worse. With TripAdvisor's help, and sometimes other sources, one can find better places! My wife and I were very pleased with our lunch today at Mateus. It is a little out of the way, unless you live in Ludlow, but well worth trying if you are in the area. Also, don't be put off by the large parking lot on the bar side, filled today with a lot of pickup trucks. I took a peak in the bar, and the folks there, at least during the lunch hour were hard working types, not lounge lizards.

While we were the only folks on the restaurant side, the welcome was warm and sincere. We had, respectively, the Shrimp Mozambique and Rabbit Stew, and both were excellent. Vegetables and potatoes were well prepared and the the sauces for both main courses delicious. A glass each of the house red wine was respectable, and more interesting wines were available by the bottle and half bottle.

We shared a slice of "cracker cake", a pleasant and fairly light concoction. I was especially delighted with a European class espresso, Bistrot, a superb and connoisseur's blend from the Dolomites in Italy. Both the restaurant and bar side have professional grade espresso machines, but they won't do much for you unless you start with top quality beans and someone who cares about making it right.

We are blessed, in this part of Massachusetts, with a number of pockets of ethnic communities that maintain strong ties with their culture and heritage. On both sides of the Atlantic, the Portuguese are among the nicest and hardest working people. We will remember this address, and look forward to more meals here.

The restaurant has been in business since 1987 and should be around for many more decades based on quality, friendliness and service.

3  Thank ulysses4