All reviews exercise classes spa services outdoor activities healthy lifestyle life changing no tipping cutting edge learn something aerial yoga salad bar dining room weight loss healthy living healthy food happy place skin care cooking class
Reviewed 4 November 2018

My wife and I visited here to celebrate our 10th anniversary. Neither of us had been to a "wellness" type resort and we've had spa treatments but we've never been to a destination spa before. We both had a fabulous time and can't wait to return! The complex is beautiful, and although it was November we were lucky that peak foliage was late this year so the grounds were gorgeous. Check-in was efficient and from the moment we arrived to the moment we left everyone was super friendly and helpful. Staff said "good morning" or "hello" when they passed you in the hallways. If someone didn't know the answer, they went and found out what the answer was. The facilities are beautiful- there are "man cave" type rooms with bookshelves, fireplaces, and chess sets that look like from another time that are wonderful to cozy up with a book and stare out the window at the amazing Berkshire scenery, and there are also passageways decorated with gorgeous art of all styles from local galleries, making even walking down the hall a pleasant experience. My wife and I had different modes of operation- she wanted to take everything at a slow pace and relax and let go, and I wanted to cram as many activities as I could into my time at Canyon Ranch. We both had terrific experiences and enjoyed our classes and spa treatments. For my wife the highlights were a lecture from a physician about secrets for better sleep that she really got a lot of pearls of wisdom from. She also really enjoyed Cardio Tennis with Mario, and it meant so much to her when Mario ran into her later while she was free and asked if she had a few minutes to go back to the court and review some things one-on-one with her. That was the moment my wife became a repeat customer. I loved trying new things- aerial yoga was a blast!!!! I would never believe that I could swing upside down hanging from my feet (thanks Laurie!). I also conquered my fears and went back and forth from a 104 degree whirlpool to a 48 degree plunge pool and my skin never felt so good! We really enjoyed every moment and are already trying to figure out when we can go back.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
CanyonRanchLenox, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I am delighted you chose Canyon Ranch in Lenox to celebrate your 10th Anniversary! There is no better gift to give yourself than restoration and a continued commitment to each other. How wonderful to hear about your wife’s interaction with Mario and that you conquered your fear of the Cold Dip! It certainly is exhilarating! We truly hope your initial experience is just the beginning of a long relationship between us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 31 October 2018

There are many wonderful components such as the grounds, delicious food and excellent exercise instructors. I had three spa services and enjoyed one but found the other two lackluster. My hotel room Also had a thermostat literally hanging off the wall and it was fixed only after three requests.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Opinioned_traveler
CanyonRanchLenox, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2018

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed so much during your stay! However, I am sorry to note your disappointment in two of your massages and shared your observations with our Massage Manager for review and attention. In addition, it is of concern to learn of the difficulty you had with the thermostat in your room. Your experience was certainly not in line with our high standards and I regret the impact on your time here. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and will do all we can to ensure your stay is the best that it can be in every respect!

Reviewed 27 October 2018

Pampered is how you’ll feel. Everything is taken care of - no need to worry. We got you! As first time visitors interested in getting a lay of the land we quickly realized there is so much to do it could easily become overwhelmimg, so we eased in. Underachievers and proud of it! A recently constructed property, the rooms reflect that esthetic - clean, spacious, well lit, efficient, with bland inoffensive modern design, and a patina of luxury. Compared to luxury hotel brands this would fall a notch below the best. But you don’t come to CR for the rooms. We liked what CR is selling, or at least we liked the offerings. This is privileged adult overnight camp with skills to be gained, activities to participate in, challenges to tackle, sweat to be produced, acquaintances to make - all as much or as little as you choose. And at CR you don’t have to share your cabin. Unless you enjoy feeling like a freshman on the first day of high school, signing up for back-to-back activities or classes isn’t the best strategy. It’s very hard to resist that temptation - and generally speaking the sessions, classes, demonstrations, workouts are pretty well planned and enjoyable. The lunch time cooking demonstration was like being on the set of a Cooking Channel show where you could watch, question, and then consume the product! Yoga is a real workout. Want to make earrings? Paint in water color? Learn about alternative medicine approaches to pain management? Engage in one-on-one counseling? Check your schedule, maybe you can fit it in.Tense and exhausted from all the doing, learning - visit the spa for a 100 minute massage, or detox wrap. All this and the almost unbelievably low cal, low fat dinners in an elegant dining setting taste too good to have those numbers attached. It may be the few who come and after several days reorient their lives and lifestyles, but I would wager the majority leave feeling they’ve enjoyed a unique and worthwhile experience. Maybe that’s what they’re really selling here.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your lovely sentiments regarding your recent stay! Our unique and varied offerings and “adult camp” atmosphere mixed with our excellent customer service are what set us apart. I am glad to hear you paced yourself during your first stay – taking time to relax is important for your personal wellness, and you can always try new activities on your next visit. Your tips for potential guests are appreciated and go a long way toward helping people get a real feel for the unique and varied experience we offer at Canyon Ranch. We hope you can join us again soon!

Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

This rating is a blend between average and excellent.

Pros—great staff, classes, activities, and one on one instructions, healthy and plentiful food, beautiful countryside. Close to NYC for a long weekend.

Cons—the feel of the facilities and guest rooms are not up to par. They have the feel of a chain hotel.

Fitness and spa area felt like a Marriott or Sheraton Hotel or a state university, not a first class establishment. For example the fitness areas at Equinox are at a much higher level.

And too many extra charges for activities. It’s one thing to charge for one on one training, but for a group trip of kayaking etc doesn’t fit with $1000 per person per day rates.

Guest rooms are pedestrian and ordinary. For example, the shower is in the tub, no scales in guest rooms only in the spa. For an establishment where guests are trying to manage their weight this is an odd omission. Linens were of average quality, not up to the $2000 charged per room. WiFi is of poor and unreliable quality.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravellingSMH

I am glad you enjoyed the food, setting, and activities during your stay. However, it was of concern to note the disappointments you mentioned with regard to the aesthetics of the accommodations, facility overall and extra fees. Please know we are constantly working to uphold the Canyon Ranch standard and your thoughtful input allows us to evaluate where we fit in the luxury resort marketplace, look for ways to stand out and continuously increase our level of service, offerings, and amenities. I would very much like to speak with you directly regarding your experience and invite you to call me at 413-637-4400 where the operator can connect you with me directly.

Reviewed 14 October 2018

Canyon Ranch in the Berkshires is a wonderful place to stay if you want to rest and relax, or get into better physical or mental shape. The resort offers excellent healthy food, comfortable, quiet rooms and a positive environment which most guests are able to bring home with them. CR offers fitness classes all day long, outdoor activities year round, all sorts of massages and body treatments, counselling of every kind, and excellent lectures which are often practical and motivational. There is a wonderful health area which can provide psychological, spiritual and physical benefits designed to fit each person's needs and goals. My spouse and I come back time and again and always cherish the experience.

Room tip: Rooms on the East Wing are closer to activities. All rooms are quiet. It is that kind of place.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank DStarfield

How wonderful to hear of your recent stay and your continued commitment to your wellness journey. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!