“Good lunch; lots of food”
Review of Kyoto

Kyoto
Ranked #12 of 25 Restaurants in Holden
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 29 June 2016

A sushi loving friend and I had lunch at Kyoto today and it was very good. We split a vegetable tempura which had many large pieces of veggies: asparagus, broccoli, sweet potato, mushroom, zucchini and a very nice dipping sauce. I got the Teriyaki steak hibachi with steamed rice & sautéed zucchini and my friend got 6 California rolls with salmon, tuna & something sushi. The steak was tender & flavorful and had 2 dipping sauces, even though it didn't need any, with a good amount of Teriyaki sauce on the plate. My friend enjoyed her sushi. Both meals came with a very nice salad. I was stuffed when we finished. The Tempura appetizer could make for a decent lunch by itself. With 2 iced teas our bill came to $32, not including a tip.
Service was prompt & friendly and the food came up quickly (but not too quickly, as if it had been sitting there). The floor felt a little sticky but I think it was the tiles, as everything was very clean.
Kyoto opened last year or so and I've always been meaning to go. Glad I finally got there and would be happy to return.

Reviewed 27 June 2016

Kyoto in Holden is definitely one of the best restaurant additions in years. Their sushi is delicious and affordable, and their staff is very friendly and eager to help.

Reviewed 26 January 2016

I am not big on Sushi, but my family is. I got the Mafia roll that is cooked versus raw which was very tasty. The rest of the family like all their seafood including my 92 year old mother-in-law. The place is rather loud and families with younger children do frequent the place also. Nice that the cooking is done out back and does not have an over-whelming smell of the oils usually associated with such.

Reviewed 5 January 2016 via mobile

I picked up a maki special, with three rolls. When I picked it up, close to noon, I paid and went to the car to check my order( I read the reviews on here). There were no chopsticks, soup or salad in the bag. The host apologized and got the rest of my order.

Got my order home and dug into the sushi right away! My sixth piece in, as I'm dipping it into the soy sauce, I notice a weird black line. It is a curly BLACK HAIR with a root on it! I was disgusted and couldn't eat the rest! The third picture is all the sushi I couldn't eat.

The bites I did eat were delicious! The soup didn't smell appetizing, and I hadn't eaten the salad yet. You bet I will be checking the salad before I take a bite!

I don't think I'll be back.

P.s. While I was waiting for the rest of my order to be delivered, I noticed some handwritten notes on the wall behind the register. It was names with "credit for..." some items off the menu. Makes me wonder if these people on the slips had issues with their orders as well.

1  Thank Adrianna G
Reviewed 22 November 2015

Have eaten in the restaurant several times and left with high regards, but when you want to enjoy their food at home, not so good. 1st time for take out, the salad and soup was not in the the containers, did not want to drive 5 miles to or from, so did not say anything. Next time, called in ordered 2 entrees to go, one was cooked and ready to go when I got there, the second was not ready as they did not read the entire order. Waited for the order, by the time I got home, my portion was soggy as it had been in Styrofoam for too long. It was at 3:00 PM, hardly a soul was there, so they were not busy.

Been to Kyoto? Share your experiences!