All reviewsfire pitgranolasconesmonument mountainlocal yogurthard boiled eggsgreat coffeebanana breadowners and staffpicnic tablesdelicious breakfastreception areanew englandgreat recommendationsold schoolshort drivecomfortable beds
Reviewed 5 September 2017

We've stayed at the Briarcliff Motel three times now when visiting the Berkshires, and look forward to visiting again in the future. Why? The place just has a good vibe. If you're looking for a 5 star all inclusive resort experience (been there, done that too) , the Briarcliff might not be your cup of tea. However, if clean, whimsical, cozy and comfy makes you happy, then I urge you to give Clare and Richard's contemporary B&B in a refurbished old-fashioned drive up motel a try. It's not a fancy place but it doesn't pretend to be either and that's fine! Be sure to have a chat with your inn keepers for they are lovely and amusing and full of excellent recommendations for places to eat and things to do in the area. Can't beat the scones, granola and coffee for breakfast, and the firepit is fun too. The Briarcliff is a true gem and I can't recommend it quite enough.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2017

When I made my reservation, this property was described as a "no-frills" motel, so I had relatively low expectations. I was pleasantly surprised to find a quaint, clean, updated "boutique" motel with plenty amenities, including a beautifully appointed room, fabulous breakfast options (including vegan accommodations), a supply of wine glasses for a nightcap and a large DVD library for entertaining myself or my children.

The owners and staff, as well as the other guests, were friendly and helpful and offered great suggestions for things to do in the area. The weather was a little damp while we were there, so we did not have a chance to enjoy the fire pit, though it looked like a cozy place to spend an evening.

I would definitely recommend Briarcliff Motel and plan to stay there again when travel takes me to the Great Barrington area.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Very clean rooms. Very friendly couple that runs it gives great recs around the area. They even lent us their chairs and blanket so we could go pic nic in comfort at the Tanglewood music venue. The breakfast is great with local eggs, fresh pressed cider, and lots of nice small touches.

Room Tip: we went in peak season (labor day) so only room was two double beds
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Our small family (2 adults, one 10 year old) spent a wonderful Labor Day weekend at the Briarcliff. The location is fantastic -- an quick walk to the trail head at Monument Mountain and a short drive to downtown Great Barrington and Stockbridge. The rooms are simply furnished and sparklingly clean. Movies are available (gratis) in the lounge, which was great for the evenings. But really, the highlight of our stay was the breakfast. The scones were delicious (chocolate chip the first day, maple the second) as was the granola. To our surprise, even the coffee in the vacuum container was good. We also lucked into the first pressing of apple cider! If you're looking for quiet, simple accommodations, I highly recommend Briarcliff.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Clean, comfortable and cozy accommodations close to Berkshire attractions such as Tanglewood and Shakespeare. A motel and not a resort, but the complementary breakfast was an added bonus. Owners Clare and Richard were quite welcoming and offered great restaurant suggestions. Cheers!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple