“Family dinner, interesting menu ”

Allium Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Allium Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: For public transportation within Berkshire county, contact Berkshire Regional Transportation Authority (BRTA) at (413) 499-2782 or (800) 292-2782. Great Barrington is also served by Peter Pan Bus (800-343-9999) and Bonanza Bus (800-343-9999) companies.
Description: Allium Restaurant + Bar serves casual contemporary American cuisine highlighting the best of the season in support of independent farmers and artisan producers using sustainable practices. The food is handcrafted by Chef Dan Hardy and his team; they take great care to source local and seasonal ingredients including farm-fresh produce, meats and cheeses. Menu items are paired alongside seasonal and small-production wines, small-batch microbrews and local spirits. Located in the heart of downtown Great Barrington at 42 Railroad Street, Allium Restaurant + Bar serves dinner nightly beginning at 5 p.m. and offers a late-night bar. All major credit cards are accepted. Co-owned and founded by Nancy Thomas and Bo Peabody, Mezze Restaurant Group is comprised of Allium Restaurant + Bar in Great Barrington, Mezze Bistro + Bar in Williamstown and Mezze Catering + Events, which provides full-service event planning. Mezze Restaurant Group is a member of Berkshire Grown, Slow Food and the Berkshire Visitors Bureau.
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

We came here with the family, there were 9 of us. It was one of the few restaurants that took reservations.
The food was good. The kale salad was great as was the fried pickled onions. The steak was ordered by most of the group and it was nicely done. Although the marinade was too strong for the kids.
The only thing that could improve it for families would be some child friendly options.

Reviewed 26 December 2016

I go here often to enjoy the bar..and the truffle popcorn. The bartenders make great margaritas, and the popcorn is to die for. I have never sat down for dinner here, but I have ordered apps and have not been disappointed. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting a nice dinner to anyone wanting to go out for a nice drink with a friend.

Reviewed 21 December 2016

This was our second visit to allium, the first almost a year ago. As before, we found the place welcoming, warm, comfortable and relaxing. Tonight, we had fried chickpeas with Bombay spice, hen of the woods mushrooms, and steam buns with pork belly from the small plates menu; and house-made tagliatelle from the large plates menu. All were excellent. The wine list seems carefully constructed to complement the food. It is not loaded with familiar names, but the variety and quality are comprehensive. The only difficulty we encountered in choosing wines to accompany our dishes (both by the glass and by the bottle) was the embarrassment of riches the list offered; their Italian selections are particularly strong. Server Chris was engaging, helpful, knowledgeable and unobtrusive. We chose Great Barrington as the place to break up our trip from Pennsylvania to Maine specifically so we could re-visit allium, and we're glad we did.

Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

Lovely table by the window. Locally harvested, unique combinations of ingredients. Try the popcorn, The burger is fantastic.

Reviewed 29 October 2016

After having read the reviews, I wanted to see wanted to see what they were all about! Made a reservation and was immediately seated at the proper time. The restaurant was about 50% full. As I wear a jacket and tie every day, I was, perhaps a bit dressed down in a hoodie and jeans. The first table they took us to was all the way in the back of the restaurant just outside the kitchen where there was a strong odor of something having been burnt. My wife and myself politely asked to move and then we were taken to a table in the corner in the back of the restaurant, behind a knee wall and situated between the bathroom and kitchen. This too was unacceptable and once again, not wanting to be difficult I asked to change. Remember, the restaurant was only 50% full and we had a reservation! We were then given a table in the front of the restaurant. Finally seated, the service was prompt and crisp and unpretentious. We ordered drinks and subsequently our dinner. Mussels arrived as our appetizer and when they arrived, they were cool. At Allium you have to request bread (not a bad idea as so much bread goes wasted these days). The waiter astutely picked up that we didn't have any bread to enjoy the sauce and offered to bring us bread. 10 minutes later, no bread - so we asked again and it arrived immediately The mussels were a bit gritty, but nonetheless well prepared. Short ribs and trout arrived as our main course - both well prepared, however again, the vegetables were cool. If the food had been a bit "warmer" and seating properly executed, I would have given this restaurant 5 stars. I think I'm being a bit generous with 4 stars, but the potential is there and with just a bit more attention to customer's needs and details. I will definitely go back