“A little disappointed”

Allium Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Allium Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: For public transportation within Berkshire county, contact Berkshire Regional Transportation Authority (BRTA) at (413) 499-2782 or (800) 292-2782. Great Barrington is also served by Peter Pan Bus (800-343-9999) and Bonanza Bus (800-343-9999) companies.
Description: Allium Restaurant + Bar serves casual contemporary American cuisine highlighting the best of the season in support of independent farmers and artisan producers using sustainable practices. The food is handcrafted by Chef Dan Hardy and his team; they take great care to source local and seasonal ingredients including farm-fresh produce, meats and cheeses. Menu items are paired alongside seasonal and small-production wines, small-batch microbrews and local spirits. Located in the heart of downtown Great Barrington at 42 Railroad Street, Allium Restaurant + Bar serves dinner nightly beginning at 5 p.m. and offers a late-night bar. All major credit cards are accepted. Co-owned and founded by Nancy Thomas and Bo Peabody, Mezze Restaurant Group is comprised of Allium Restaurant + Bar in Great Barrington, Mezze Bistro + Bar in Williamstown and Mezze Catering + Events, which provides full-service event planning. Mezze Restaurant Group is a member of Berkshire Grown, Slow Food and the Berkshire Visitors Bureau.
Reviewed 29 October 2016

After having read the reviews, I wanted to see wanted to see what they were all about! Made a reservation and was immediately seated at the proper time. The restaurant was about 50% full. As I wear a jacket and tie every day, I was, perhaps a bit dressed down in a hoodie and jeans. The first table they took us to was all the way in the back of the restaurant just outside the kitchen where there was a strong odor of something having been burnt. My wife and myself politely asked to move and then we were taken to a table in the corner in the back of the restaurant, behind a knee wall and situated between the bathroom and kitchen. This too was unacceptable and once again, not wanting to be difficult I asked to change. Remember, the restaurant was only 50% full and we had a reservation! We were then given a table in the front of the restaurant. Finally seated, the service was prompt and crisp and unpretentious. We ordered drinks and subsequently our dinner. Mussels arrived as our appetizer and when they arrived, they were cool. At Allium you have to request bread (not a bad idea as so much bread goes wasted these days). The waiter astutely picked up that we didn't have any bread to enjoy the sauce and offered to bring us bread. 10 minutes later, no bread - so we asked again and it arrived immediately The mussels were a bit gritty, but nonetheless well prepared. Short ribs and trout arrived as our main course - both well prepared, however again, the vegetables were cool. If the food had been a bit "warmer" and seating properly executed, I would have given this restaurant 5 stars. I think I'm being a bit generous with 4 stars, but the potential is there and with just a bit more attention to customer's needs and details. I will definitely go back

Reviewed 27 October 2016

For a few years we've gravitated to Allium on our annual trip to GB. They take reservations and are conveniently located. Yes we put up with lots of noise when seated on the bar side, and well meaning but harried wait staff, and the occasional table by the kitchen across from the bathroom. But the food is usually good. But last Saturday we came to the realization that there was nothing on the menu for us to eat. That's not a knock on the restaurant, but we're not quite on the cutting edge of the latest food fad. Just check the menu before you go. I'll do that before I go back. Hope you have better luck than we did. Tip: you have to request bread.

Reviewed 26 October 2016

This is the only repeat restaurant visit we have each year we return to the Berkshires.
The ambiance is fun and festive and the service is friendly and extremely competent. I've been with parties as big as 6 and as small as 2 and it's been wonderful at every level.

Reviewed 24 October 2016

Service was great. Food very good.
I would recommend the onion rings. the burger. fish taco and the NY strip.
my wife had the mussels. She said they were ok but not exceptional.

Reviewed 21 October 2016

Thus is my favorite restaurant in Gt. Barrington. The small plates allow you to sample several dishes and the fried red onion rings and fish tacos are favorites. Last night the tacos weren't nearly as good as usual which was disappointing. Consistency is important and it is not always there at Allium. The servers could be better trained to not clear until everyone at the table is finished. It's not cheap but the food is well conceived and balanced. Just hope that the chef doesn't have the night off.