“Very Nice Experience”

Ranked #11 of 115 Restaurants in Gloucester
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Gloucester House restaurant is renowned for its local lobster dishes and for the freshest North Atlantic seafood, prepared to perfection. Having been among the first to popularize fried calamari, our specialties range from award-winning clam chowder to homemade bread and cornbread, from Dottie's bourbon cake to Lily's wine list, and from Sambuca mussels to blackened haddock tacos to a fried fisherman's reuben sandwich. We always cook to order and have gluten free and vegetarian menus available, as well as children's meals. Dine full-service on our outdoor, dockside deck or eat lobsters in-the-rough on our harbor side wharf. Located on historic Seven Seas Wharf, there's something for everyone here: shop for souvenirs and local art at our General Store gift shop, enjoy a sail on the Schooner Thomas E. Lannon, or see the whales aboard Seven Seas Whale Watch. Whatever your fancy may be, the Linquata family invites you to join us year-round for a true taste of New England.
Reviewed 26 September 2016

We traveled to Gloucester, MA by way of a cruise ship that provided a one day stop at this beautiful little town. If you get a chance to visit Gloucester two things you may want to do is to visit the Fishermen's Memorial and stop into the Gloucester House for a drink and/or a meal.

The Fishermen's Memorial is a tribute to the many men that perished in the sea that sailed from this village. Nearly 1000 ships have been lost.The Memorial is in a beautiful part of town overlooking the sea.

The Gloucester House is not far from the Memorial and also has beautiful views. Gloucester is not very large and it looked to me that this is one of the more popular restaurants in town.

It often gets crowded especially when cruise ships are in port. We were told there was a 45 minute wait for a table the day we sought a meal. We ended up snagging two stools at the bar and avoided the long wait. Eating at the bar was wonderful as we were treated to constant and quick service from the bar maid and the restaurant owner. The bar was practically full with locals and the conversations were very entertaining.

We tried an appetizer of calamari and it was the best we ever had. Extremely tender, not chewy and very fresh. We also ate their famous lobster rolls which also was very good. All of this was washed down with two pints of beer.

What a great day!

Date of visit: September 2016
Write a reviewReviews (924)

Reviewed 26 September 2016

My wife and I drove my Daughter and her English boyfriend up to visit my mother in Gloucester on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. My mother, hoping to impress the English boyfriend made reservations at the Gloucester House and she was not happy. While the rest of us enjoyed our Lobster Pie, Yankee Pot Roast, Big Bang Shrimp Tacos and Fish and Chips - which were all excellent - my mother’s Linguine and clam sauce was not good. Several of us took a taste and we all agree that the Linguine and clam sauce was not good. This was unfortunate because the oysters (which my mother and I split) were not particularly good that day and my mother’s grilled calamari appetizer was only so so. It would seem my mother had picked all the worst things on the menu. Gloucester House did not live up to my Mother’s expectations. My advice, stick to the following: Lobster Pie, Yankee Pot Roast, Big Bang Shrimp Tacos or Fish and Chips and enjoy the view. Avoid the Linguine and clam sauce.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

Great lobster dinner. Reasonable. Best home made cornbread too. Comfortable and clean. Next to the whale watch and village. Good for walking the town.

Reviewed 24 September 2016

At vestibule was "Specials" board showing 2 specials. One special listed 2 lobsters with fries & coleslaw for $20. Went in ordered special from waiter " Kevin" & another dinner for spouse. Food good. Not busy but waiter seemed rushed to have us finish dinner and clean table. Got bill at table,paid bill without reading. On way out noticed "Special" cost $24.99 on my bill. Spoke to female maitre'd who said extra $4 because we had 2 sides( fries& slaw). I pointed out that their posted "special" included those sides. She went & got waiter"Kevin" who said he told me it was a "lunch" special & he told me so. He did not mention "lunch only special" to me NOR did their sign in vestibule.Felt ripped off..

Reviewed 21 September 2016

We were very pleased with the seafood dinners we ate here. The quality and quantity of food was perfect.

1  Thank Shirley W