“Still a Work in Progress”

Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
California
“Still a Work in Progress”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This is my 3rd stay at the Sea Crest Beach Hotel over the last few years. Each stay was over the Dec/Jan quiet period. First, the good part. You can't beat the hotel's location on the beach. Second, the renovations are showing progress. The rooms used to be dumps. Under the new owner, the rooms are not too bad. My only concern is whether the renovations will hold up over a busy summer season. From what I can see, the renovations were not well supervised. Rooms are newly painted but there are still spots you can see that were not painted. Bathroom faucets are new but not bolted down to the sink firmly. Bathtubs are new but water does not go down fast enough and pools up when you take a shower. By the way, also make sure the TV works in your room, I asked to be moved since the TV did not get a good signal in my first room. A nice big flat screen TV does not do you much good without a good signal.

Still not completed is the indoor gym and pool. You can use the facility in a Holiday Inn around 15 minutes drive away for free. Definitely an inconvenience. Front desk support is a friendly but a little inconsistent. A pet peeve is that they said they had a policy of not matching available rates from sites like Hotels.com. I called them up to see if they had a better deal than Hotels.com and they quoted a rate that was higher and said they don't match rates. This does not seem to make good business sense. They want me to book from a third party rather than from them?

I wish this place all the luck in the world. They certainly have a great location. I just don't know whether its worth the hundreds of bucks a night they charge over the summer months to stay here. I paid around $100 a night (low season) without breakfast and thought my rate, with what the facility currently offers, a little high.

Room Tip: Make sure the TV in room works.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Middle_Aged_Guy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 December 2011

From what I've heard, the property has made great strides in renovation and upgrading what it had been. It's right on the beach and and a wonderful location if one is driving there.

It helps to have the background for the review:
- Business conference at which I was speaking.
- Flew in and out of BOS.
- Car service btw. property and airport.

This review is awkward because the property was a sponsor of the conference. However, if a property is going to improve and make itself available for meetings as well as leisure guests, it helps, I think, to provide feedback.

My greatest concerns about the property:
- Not ADA compliant or easily accessible for those with even slight disabilities or an inability to manage steps.
- Safety does not seem to be a concern. Hallways and stairways are dark. (See more comments below.)
- No newspapers on property in off-season.
- Television is a lovely flat screen and there are few channels with much besides ESPN!
- Restaurants not open at hours posted and without a car, you are stuck.
- Banquet and reception food not labeled for ingredients which can be a health and safety issue.

My arrival was a bit "bumpy" and that's not about air turbulence:
The property had upgraded me to an ocean front room. Nice but in another building and not an easy walk for me. They checked room 703 and said it was fine (and in the main building.) To get there, one has to go up steps. The room, an "accessible" room, does not have a desk. (Silly - people with disabilities work or need a writing surface too!)

On I went to 712 which had a desk, a king size bed and was reasonably comfortable. (I am not sure if it has been fully renovated; I hope not - it needed more work.) IF YOU STAY AT THIS PROPERTY do not stay in this room until they correct:
- NO chain or doorguard on the door to the corridor.
- The room is right by a door to a hallway that had an OPEN door to the outside. The outside door was propped open with a large rock. I kept closing it; someone kept propping it open even after I told the front desk. (Excuse given: the door's lock hadn't been fixed yet.)

Note too: the room looked on to the parking lot and street. One could look through the fence to see the water. "Partial ocean view" room!?

On arrival, mid-afternoon, I wanted lunch. There was nothing open on property even tho' the info. card in the room said the restaurant hours included the time I wanted lunch. I ordered from a local restaurant that delivered. Grateful to them. [NOTE: there was nothing in my room about the hotel's services - room service? laundry or dry cleaning? bellservice? busn. center or place to print boarding passes?]

ADA:
To get to much of the meeting space, one has to use stairs. There was no elevator access. There is a very long and winding ramp; the door however to get back in (if one used the restrooms which are only up the ramp from the space) was locked. Note too: on the meeting room floor, there is a pillar that has the restoom sign on it. There is no way someone in a wheelchair or on a scooter could get around the pillar to the ramp to get to and from the restroom.

Security:
See above re room 712 and the issues. I talked with a conf. participant who said that she was in an "800" building room (I believe in room 805) and her bathroom window wouldn't close. I'd done a risk management training that morning and strongly recommended she vacate the room and get another one - that it wasn't safe. A colleague checked and said the window, which faced the highway, appeared to have been "jimmied" from the outside. I told the front desk staff and I'm not sure anything was done.

This was the first hotel in which I've stayed in many years of regular travel where I put my desk chair [just a regular chair, btw - not a rolling comfortable one] under the door handle for safety. (I opted not to change rooms again.)

I observed staff (who were generally very nice if not thorough in their information to guests) one of whom left a ladder in the middle of a floor while he went to do something else. I observed staff not paying attention to the comings and goings of people in the facility. It simply didn't feel safe.

The banquet staff were very nice and helpful, clearly committed to service.

I realize that this property is still undergoing renovation, that we were there "off season" and perhaps things are different during the season but the issues that concerned me (ADA and safety, open restaurants for guests who may arrive by non-private car) remain.

It is my hope that the GM (who has responded to a number of posts here and who welcomed the conference) will take these issues under serious consideration. Flat screen TVs and ocean views are lovely; but as I teach, it doesn't matter if someone is injured.

Oh and about the newspapers and news stations: get MSNBC please, and have newspapers daily when there are guests in house or when asked about them, offer to get them for a guest. Even in a beautiful location, people want to be informed.

Room Tip: NOT 702 or 703 or 712 or 800 building. Ask carefully about the room's amenties like a desk, elec...
7 Thank JLEDC
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I must agree with IBTSDOSM.... because I also just returned from a 2 day meeting at the Sea Crest Beach Hotel and I just have to say, WOW! Nice Job folks! The facility, food and service were very impressive and I cannot wait to come back for a summer vacation visit or two!
Beautiful setting on the lovely Old Silver Beach in Falmouth, a Cape Cod beach I had never been too, and it is a stunning location. All the staff was exceptional as well as food and meeting rooms and A/V etc. Thanks Sea Crest!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 327 in the Yankee Girl Building (overlooking the patio and decent view of the beach...
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I just returned from a 2 day meeting at the Sea Crest Beach Hotel and I just have to say, WOW! Nice Job folks!
The facility, food and service where above and beyond expectations! Best part is this hotel sits on Old Silver Beach in Falmouth, a beautiful stretch of heaven complimented by the most gorgeous sunsets I’ve ever seen on the east coast. Will return with the family soon!

Boston
Reviewed 29 November 2011

After staying here years ago and physically being sick from the awful sleep number beds and horrid housekeeping, my mouth dropped to the floor after going back again for a function. The lobby is beautiful, the staff was great - especially the restaurant and bar staff, the breakfast was fabulous (with breathtaking views). It's November, so we didn't venture outside but if we did, the beach was a step away. The pool was undergoing renovations so I can't speak of that area but the rooms were nice, the beds no longer uncomfortable, the heat was loud, but overall the place has done great! Much nicer stay this time around. Way to go Sea Crest!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Heather F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
34.9 km away
32.1 km away
Bayside Resort Hotel
Bayside Resort Hotel
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth

Been to Sea Crest Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!