“Adequate seafood”

Ranked #36 of 69 Restaurants in Edgartown
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Not great, not terrible. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there again. The service was good but the food was nothing special.

1  Thank Brian M

Reviewed 30 October 2011

Known for their Prime Rib and definitely above avg. Cute place, great staff, good value.
Would go back for the prime rib again.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

There are a lot of things I liked about my recent dining experience at the Square Rigger: atmosphere, location, parking, friendly service, and the food was pretty good. I would have easily given the restaurant a 4 out of 5 rating, but for the price. I realize dining on Martha's Vineyard is usually an investment and I have no problem paying a lot for a really good meal, but our dinner at the Square Rigger was not exceptional. My husband got the grilled lobster, which was a unique and tasty dish, but even with the "extra stuffed" lobster, it wasn't that much food. I ordered shrimp scampi over linguini which was also good, but nothing remarkable. Total bill was $86 with 4 diet cokes (they charge $3 per refill). In sum, good casual atmosphere, friendly service, and decent food, but be prepared to overpay a bit.

1  Thank ellekdub
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We decided on the Square Rigger for dinner since they offered grilled lobster and it was close by in Edgartown where we were staying. I had the extra stuffed grilled lobster and it was nothing to rave about. It was good but not great. The setting was relaxing and the service was very good. It is probably a better choice if you want unfussy food in a comfortable atmosphere.

1  Thank Steph2727
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The Square Rigger never lets me down. This is the place to get "real" food: Lobster, fish, steaks, chops. Grilled menu items are cooked in the dining room. Entrees come with warm bread and salad with choice of dressing. I had the prime rib (available on weekends and maybe a few other nights) as did my mom. Both of our orders were perfectly cooked, and we had enough left over for sandwiches the next day. My father had the Lobster Newburg, which he enjoyed very much. Our server, Laura, knew the menu well and was prepared to make recommendations.
There are many restaurants on Martha's Vineyard that are very over-priced and serve "art on a plate," so that the diners leave broke and hungry. The Rigger is not cheap, but it's a good value and has consistently good food and service.
I recommend reservations, at least in the summer and on weekends.