“Peanut Soup, Monkey Ribs, Cape Malay Stew...Exotic Sounding & Tasty”
Review of Karoo Restaurant

Karoo Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 33 Restaurants in Eastham
Cuisines: African, Dutch, British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Note: We're now open! Karoo Restaurant is inspired by the diversity of British, Dutch, African, Malaysian, Portuguese and Indian flavors that make up the delicious dishes of Chef Sanette Groenewald's South African homeland. Our eclectic menu ranges from VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, and Gluten free options to homemade burgers, fish & chips, native stews and exotic meats. We carry a wide assortment South African wines and unusual imported beers from all over the world. As always our entire menu is available for dine-in or take-out.
Reviewed 17 July 2015

It took us four or five tries to finally get to Karoo at a time when they were open (closed on Tuesdays) and had space, but we're grateful to have persisted. The atmosphere is comfortably safari: colorful loops of African cloth prints (music frozen in time) covered the ceiling, and the entire decor speaks of South Africa. The service is professional and efficient; our waitress steered us vigorously away from low spots on the menu. The peanut soup was spicy and tasty; the "monkey" ribs (actually pork) were TERRIFIC; and the Cape Malay stew (I got the shrimp version) was rich and exciting. All of us got beers or mixed drinks that were tasty and potent. We'll come back and make this a regular haunt.

1  Thank jaseaton

Reviewed 9 July 2015 via mobile

My wife and I were intrigued by the South African theme of the restaurant. We thought it was worth a try. We were very pleased.

We started with two appetizers, lamb skewers- delicious.

The other appetizer - beef Samoans - also very good.

Peri peri chicken and pap with sausages.. The service was prompt and courteous. We will visit again when in Wellfleet!

1  Thank TheTravelBoss
Reviewed 8 July 2015

We were visiting friends in Wellfleet, and this was one of their favorite restaurants. So it pains me to write a less-than-satisfactory review centering around an entree that was more than unacceptable.

We all started with the Apple Hard Cider, which was very refreshing. In fact, we commented how good it tasted and that we could smell the apple fragrance as the waiter approached the table with our drinks.

Three of us had the West African Peanut Soup, which was an ample portion (almost too much, which I don't think I've ever written before in a restaurant review) and very interesting. The fourth in our party had the Snail Ragoons, which could have had a little more cream cheese, in my opinion, but were otherwise quite tasty.

The Salmon entree over couscous special that two of our party ordered looked very good, and they enjoyed it. My companion had the Bobotie, a national dish that is basically meatloaf.

The big disappointment was my entree, Curried Lamb Stew. First of all, I asked the waiter if I could have it over couscous (which was being offered with the salmon) instead of rice. Our waiter said they would not accommodate my request because they were only offering it with the special (salmon). Now, if the restaurant was full, I might appreciate that they would have a limited amount. But this was a Monday night and the place was not nearly filled to capacity, and if you know anything about Israeli couscous, it comes in a box or square plastic container and takes mere minutes to prepare.

The second problem here was that my first bite was not a nice piece of lamb but a chunk of fat with not a smiggen of meat on it. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that roughly 25% of the 'meat' in the stew was actually fat, not meat. Pretty unappetizing. The vegetables did not include the nice tops of the broccoli but the stalks cut up in chunks. I did did not eat it.
Really a shame because the curry sauce was tasty.

I did not return my dinner because I did not want to embarrass my friends, but it was pretty awful and it is highly doubtful that we will return when we're next on The Cape.

3  Thank Lori G
Reviewed 8 July 2015

One of our favorite places to go anywhere. The decor is amazing, the food is excellent, the owner/chef & staff are the best. They have a lovely garden & deck for outdoor dining & live music in the garden. Pet friendly on the deck. Featured recently on Phantom Gourmet. Lots of vegetarian, vegan, gluten free & healthy options. & open year round! The jewel of Eastham.

Reviewed 7 July 2015

Cape Malay Shrimp Curry....amazing........ It was so good that I wanted to eat here two nights in a row! I would definitely go for the "Monkey Ribs" appetizer...succulent to die for, melt in your mouth and with the perfect level of spice. Only one thing...avoid the high priced drink specials...the over priced Mojito I had was the worst ever and at 9 bucks that is not good. Stick to the food, wine and beer and you will not be disappointed.