All reviews bedroom unit off track small closet the atlantic ocean living space sound of the waves quiet area sliding door great view of the ocean second floor full size refrigerator private balcony a great stay dinnerware cape kitchenette futon
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

Ok, so I needed a place to crash for a night because my current apartment is up for sale and I had to get some sleep because I work the night shift. I knew the Garlands has a good reputation and was nearby. Boy, was I disappointed! First, no AC-the room was hot and stuffy-ok, so I opened some windows and turned on the ceiling fan in the bedroom. As it started spinning, it made this repetitive knocking sound like a washer. I did ask for another room and the millennial , snippy girl in vocal fry said there were none available. The box fan in the living room was filthy, blowing out dust as it spun. Went into the bathroom and saw a streak of s$it on the wall above the toilet, an ancient mid-century shower infested with mold and mildew; a ripped shower curtain . Maintenance was unable to fix the fan and left his tools behind. Tiny TV-I’m getting older and appreciate a bigger TV since my eyesight has changed. Peeling paint-springy mattress-no ice available-the list goes on. I checked out this morning and have a good mind not to pay for last night! Bottom line: when coming to the Cape, do not stay here! $170.00 a night for a dumpy room-alright you’re on the beach, but that doesn’t matter when you’re staying in a run-down room! I WOULD recommend “Club Cape Cod” nearby: clean, pleasant, cozy; Steve the manager is a nice guy..I should have stayed there! Oh, well!! I chose the Garlands because it was near..live and learn..

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed in the Annex seaside unit 4, which is on the second floor. It is a small one bedroom with an unobstructed oceanfront view. The stairs are fairly steep, and the unit is small but suited our needs perfectly. The bedroom has a full bed, dressing space, small closet, and two end tables, and located immediately to the right when you walk on from the street. On the left is the small bathroom with toilet, sink, and standup shower. The main living area is more spacious considering the layout with an apartment (not dorm) sized kitchen/ appliances, table with two chairs overlooking the view, mid sized flat screen, full sized futon, and a few tables and an extra dining chair. Immediately off this room is a private balcony with sliding door that overlooks the ocean and lounge area for the building. We slept on the futon and left the sliding door open for the breeze and to hear the waves.

The unit didn't appear to have an AC but did have heat, and the breeze was amazing with the windows and doors open. The unit could definitely use a makeover - microwave is probably older than me, sliding door and screen both fell off track at least a dozen times on our 2 day stay, furniture doesn't match, carpet is older, limited cooking/dinnerware etc. But overall everything seemed pretty clean and some things were new like the futon and bathroom sink. For the view and location we paid $300 for 2 nights midweek at the end of June, and it was a bargain compared to other oceanfront units on the cape.

The on-site management was incredibly sweet and knowledgeable on the area and the property itself. There is a small beach in between the garlands and seaside which disappear at high tide, but luckily for us was in the middle of the night and we got the entire beach area to ourselves the whole day. There is another beach next to seaside which can be used, and it is semi private to a few of the accommodations in the immediate area. It seems like a quiet area great for families or couples looking for low key, but we did go in June so it may be busier in summertime. The walls and floor seem pretty thin - the people below us left a note on the car claiming we kept them up all night since we checked in around midnight, unpacked, took showers, checked out the beach, etc, even though we tried to be quiet and weren't yelling loudly or stomping around. I'd ask for a second floor unit if you're sensitive to people walking around above you, and maybe an end unit so you only have neighbors on one side. That being said we didn't hear anyone else, but the units next to ours may have been empty.

I'd upgrade the review to 5 stars if the unit was updated, or at least the patio doors were in working order, which seems to be a well known issue according to management, since individual owners are responsible for those type of repairs and upgrades. While a car isn't necessary, the closest gas station/stores we found were a few miles out, although a few restaurants and bars were closer. Since we arrived late we couldn't find anywhere close serving food, even the fast food joints within ten miles were closed, but they may have different hours in the height of summer. We would definitely stay here again in this unit if it was just the two of us, but I think it would be cramped with more than two adults and maybe a child or two. They do have two bedroom units that we saw in the garlands building that were nice and seemed big enough for two couples, although they are smaller units so anymore would definitely be pushing it.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2018

We were at the garland over July 4th weekend for 2 nights. We were in an ocean view apartment (unit 1) on the ground floor. While the size of the 2 BR/1Bath unit didn't bother us as much as a severe lack of privacy !The entry is a full size glass sliding door and the blinds were very old and many of them were missing !! Its such a small improvement that can change the overall experience. Overall the property looks dated but the location makes up for it. The beach is lovely.

Room Tip: Each of the apartments are individually owned and might not have the same level of upgrades !
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Radha C
Reviewed 30 June 2018

We stayed in room 5 during the most glorious beach weekend in June before schools ended and the crowds began. The motel was spotless and Lauren and John were incredibly friendly front desk attendants.

Stayed: June 2018
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

The place looks lovely from the outside and our little condo - unit 9 is nice and clean BUT there is no AC, which would be ok if air was moving but the can’t in the bedrooms don’t seem to move the air at all, even on high. And the fridge is tiny, which would be ok if there was a ice machine somewhere, or even a couple of ice trays in the minuscule freezer compartment. But as far as I can see, that isn’t the case, so it looks like we will have to buy bags of ice each day and leave them to melt in the sink since we hadn’t been told we’d HAVE to have a cooler if we wanted ice. With so many other great places to stay that have all these things, generally for the same price, I don’t think I’ll bother coming back. I took a chance, and fortunately it’s only for 2 nights.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends