“Always a Great Meal!”

Price range: US$12 - US$32
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A traditional, Tavern and Restaurant with wood paneled walls, open fireplaces and an outdoor covered deck for al Fresco dining during summer. The fare includes guest favorites such as roasted rack of New Zealand lamb, and seafood strudel (a seafood blend baked in pastry) with Newburg sauce. Lots of fresh local seafood and oysters. Many more seafood entrees, sandwiches, burgers, steaks, chicken, pasta selections, and their truly famous version of Grapenut Custard.
Reviewed 18 August 2018

We always enjoy Scargo when visiting the Cape. Nice atmosphere, great food at reasonable prices for a fine Cape restaurant in high season.
Very nice bar and friendly but professional service.
Be sure to make a reservation. This place is popular with both locals and visitors!

Reviewed 13 August 2018

Our server was very friendly. We started with Oysters on the half shell and watermelon salad. Both were excellent. I had lobster mac and cheese with big chunks of lobster and my wife had the tuna poke which was delicious. For dessert we split the cheesecake which was also very enjoyable. The place was very busy but the atmosphere was relaxed. Overall this was an excellent dining experience.

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

We think it’s time to take a break from the Scargo. We go annually, but the menu is getting stale.

We had a 7:00 res and still had to wait a while to be seated. Once seated, owe had a table that was in the hallway. I just didn’t enjoy that experience. It feels secluded and you only see wait staff passing back and forth all night. I missed the energy of being in a crowd. The acoustics, lighting and air were also off. It was warm, dark and just weird.

We started with salads. The burrata was fabulous. The arugula apple salad was tasty but far too heavily dressed. I didn’t even eat half of it.

Dinner was ok. We had a filet which came with a portobello mushroom. The mushroom was the size of a quarter, which was a huge disappointment. It was covered in a slab of goat cheese which we removed and very rich mashed potatoes which wasn’t listed on the menu. The other dish we tried was the seafood stir fry. Lots of noodles, very little scallops and fish.

In the end, we found the dinner pricey and mediocre. Coupled with the atmosphere, we just left feeling disappointed.

A note to the chef - Switch up the menu. Love the GF and A options, but everything I wanted (especially the pork) isn’t an option. Add in a few more “specials” or change up the style of the seafood, beef and chicken recipes.

scargoboy, Owner at Scargo Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Dear PickyEater, (love that user name!)

First let me apologize for seating you at a table that was not to your liking. The "little table under the stairs" is our second most requested table, but I will admit, it is NOT for everybody. As a private hidden table for two it is often requested by couples. It a frequently requested spot for marriage proposals and was always a big favorite of celebrities back in the glory days of The Cape Playhouse. Stars like Loretta Swit ("Hot Lips Houlihan" on MASH*) and Meredith Baxter-Birney (Family Ties) enjoyed that table regularly as a place to hide from their fans and enjoy a private meal. I'm sure that if the table location was irritating, it might have turned a good meal into an average one, rather than bumping it up a notch. I'm sorry we were unaware that you would have enjoyed another table more. We should have been "in-tune" and discerned this in some way. No excuses. No explanations. There is no accounting for personal preferences. Tastes do vary with regard to table choices as well as our menu preparations and offerings.
Anyway, we appreciate the feedback and input. Your comments are certainly well taken. Of course we always prefer them directly and appreciate emails or messages or calls anytime. As always, we have an implied guarantee of great food and caring service and I will gladly extend an invitation to have you return as my guest for an experience more similar to the ones that brought you back to us each year in the first place.

You can feel free to reach out to me directly anytime whatsoever.

All the best,
Peter@scargocafe.com
508-274-8903 mobile

Reviewed 4 August 2018

My husband and I recently I had a lovely meal with a very kind (and patient!) waitress. Dinner out with a 2 year old is a bit of a gamble every time, but our experience was fantastic all-around. My husband and and I got crab cakes to start which were terrific; my meal of a beet salad with shrimp was HEAVENLY, and my husband's chicken sandwich was also a win. Our son loved his macaroni and cheese but, to be honest, finding a nice restaurant with good food and a child-friendly atmosphere (that wasn't a fried fish place on the side of the road) was a true treat. Will definitely return!!

Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

Recently celebrated a milestone anniversary with large family reunion here. The staff was very accomodating, the food was outstanding, and everyone enjoyed their meal. We really felt that they put in an extra effort to make our event memorable. Would definitely recommend and will plan to return in the future.