“Excellent lunches in Old Deerfield”

Champney's Restaurant & Tavern
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Deerfield
Price range: US$9 - US$31
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Rts 5 & 10
Description: Come and gather at a New England table! Our seasonally driven menus are a reflection of the rural landscape and come and go as the harvest is available. We celebrate our area farmers, foragers, and growers in our menus. Of twelve draught beers, six are always local. We cook from scratch, and source as locally as we can. A warm, friendly, local gathering place with food and drink at the center of the experience.
Missouri
“Excellent lunches in Old Deerfield”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

In the past two weeks, on two separate trips through the Pioneer Valley in western Massachusetts, my wife and I had lunch twice at Champney’s, the restaurant at the marvelous Deerfield Inn (which is the subject of another favorable review.) Service was excellent as was the food – soup and sandwiches on both occasions. On the two occasions, we enjoyed a great grilled chicken sandwich, a half-pound blue cheese burger, and a turkey sandwich made with cranberry sauce – all first rate. Also worthy of mention are the homemade French fries served with the sandwiches and the maple-sweetened Indian pudding with maple flavoring for dessert, also prepared on the premises. We heard other customers commenting favorably on other lunch menu items, including fish and chips. Ambiance in the Tavern at Champney’s, where we ate, is cozy and the staff is very personable. It’s worth a stop if you’re in the area.

We also ate at Champney's on a similar trip in 2009, and the same comments would apply to that occasion. (Sorry, insufficient information to rate the more extensive dinner menu.)

Daphneanne, Owner at Champney's Restaurant & Tavern, responded to this review, 11 December 2010
Thank you for being so kind as to take the time to write of your experience with us. We all so appreciate it, and we send best wishes for peace and joy in the holiday season ahead and for a happy new year.

Hong Kong
“We were staying at the Deerfield Inn and...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2010

We were staying at the Deerfield Inn and since there is literally nowhere else in town, we decided to try the restaurant in the hotel. Champney's was disappointing on all counts. The service was slow and the staff seemed overwhelmed. We asked to be seated in the bar as it was less busy and noisy than the main restaurant. The waitress was pleasant but she kept making excuses for the slow service. I ordered a glass of the white Zinfandel which was weak and watery. I immediately ordered another glass of wine but the waitress did not bother to ask what was wrong with the first glass. We ordered the calamari for appetizers which came fairly quickly but it was chewy and tasteless. Our mains took forever to arrive. When I asked, the waitress checked and reported that the food would arrive in 4 mins. Fifteen mins later (1 hour and 15 mins after we sat down) our main courses arrived. My teenaged kids were practically falling asleep at the table! My barley risotto was too salty and the flavors were uninspired. Three of the mains were salads which meant hardly any cooking was required! The Caesar salads were mediocre. My husband reported the ham was decent. After dinner, the waitress came to our table with another plate of risotto and said the kitchen accidentally gave me a side order of risotto and not a main. I told her I did not want anymore risotto. She was very apologetic and said the dish would be taken off the bill. When the bill came, the risotto was still on the check and at a price higher than what was quoted on the menu! It was very surprising considering she made such a big deal about taking it off. If you lived in the area and did not have many options then this restaurant would be ok. I think this is why it has survived because there is not much competition.

Daphneanne, Innkeeper at Champney's Restaurant & Tavern, responded to this review, 10 April 2010
Dear L***, I am so sorry that you had a bad experience when you stayed with us. We had 72 reservations on Easter evening that exploded to 125 with no advance notice, and we obviously had a challenge in your instance with timely service, and I apologize for that. We do not hear bad reports on our Caesar or the risotto, so we will review our prep and recipe and invite some of our secret reviewers back to a meal to see where we can improve. We appreciate your input. I am also glad that you pointed out the error in our POS system. I checked immediately and the price for the risotto had been entered incorrectly. Thank you very much for that. Human error! If you have occasion to dine here again, please speak up and let us know how things are as the evening progresses. It is so helpful if we can address any issues right as they arise so we can make things right. We certainly wouldn’t take offense as all criticism is a valuable learning tool for us, and we thank you for taking the time to write. Jane
Florida
“Nothing great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2009

We stopped at The Deerfield Inn for lunch while on a road trip through Massachusetts. The service was extremely slow even though it was past the lunch hour rush time. Our waiter was very friendly but kept disappearing for lengthy periods even when we were trying to pay our tab. I have to say the french fries were very good but the 12.00 hamburger was tasteless and a waste. Not many choices for dining in this area but don't think I would stop there again.

Daphneanne, Innkeeper at Champney's Restaurant & Tavern, responded to this review, 5 December 2009
Dear Visitors from Florida, I am sorry you did not enjoy your lunch with us. The beef for our burgers comes from the Yazwinski Farm right here in Deerfield. It is hormone free, grass fed beef and although I am not a meat eater myself, I have heard from guests that it tastes "the way beef should taste". Glad you liked the fries, though! The potatoes are also from a local farm and we wash and cut them to order in the kitchen so they are as fresh as can be from field to table. Best wishes for peace & joy in the holiday season ahead. Jane
Huntington, IN
“Beautiful Restaurant; Excellent Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2009

We had Mother's Day dinner at Champney's Restaurant at the Deerfield Inn. We drove 30 miles from Brattleboro, VT to dine here, so our hopes were high. We were not disappointed.

The restaurant is beautiful and the service was perfect. In addition to that, the food was fantastic. I started with the Caesar Salad and it was the best I have ever had. My Mother also had the Caesar and thought it was outstanding. She ordered the lamb chops for her entree. They were perfectly prepared and she thought the mint demi glace was just the right touch of mint for the lamb. I had the veal sirloin with onions, lemon, capers and grilled asparagus. The veal and sauce blended well together and the grilled asparagus was the perfect addition.

I eat out often and try to seek out good restaurants. The restaurant at the Deerfield Inn is definately going on my list to visit again next time I am in the area.

Daphneanne, Owner at Champney's Restaurant & Tavern, responded to this review, 12 November 2014
Oh - I missed your delightful review and had not responded to thank you! I do apologize and belatedly thank you very much. How lovely to read of your happy expereince. We hope you can come back to see the "new" Champney's after the great flood that was Tropical Storm Irene! All kind regards from the crew here.
Massachusetts
“A great dining experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2008

The last time that my husband and I dined at the Inn was quite a few years ago. Because that dining experience was not a positive one (bad service, worse food), we haven't been back since then. However, we heard recently that the Inn had a new chef and that the menu was updated and very good, so we decided to give it another try. What a memorable meal - from service to food to wine to ambience! Although the prices are above average, our taste buds did not complain. Happily, the Inn now has a Tavern menu, too, in the more casual dining area. The prices are a bit lower and there's good variety in the menu. We're thrilled that the Inn has become a food destination for us!

A posting I had missed due to general ineptitude with social media! I do apologize for not thanking you, and we are glad to read of your good experience. We hope you can come back to oet us know what you think of the "new" Champney's after renovations made necessary due to Tropical Storm Irene that hit us so severely on 8/28/11! All good wishes, and belated thnks again.