“Surprise .... great food, great service!”

Longshore Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 71 Restaurants in Chatham
Price range: US$9 - US$29
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Longshore Restaurant of Chatham MA, is an affordable Cape Cod family-owned restaurant serving the freshest fried and baked foods, quality seafood, bountiful BBQ burgers and children friendly meals on lower Cape Cod. Enjoy award-winning Cape Cod oysters, shrimp, clams, mussels, lobsters and an ice-cold beer from our raw bar. End your meal with a delicious sweet treat, while you and your, family relax by our goldfish water pond.
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We stopped in on a quiet Monday evening and we're delightfully surprised by their great food and friendly service. Malden from Serbia was such a pleasant waiter, he recommended the Grilled Blue Fish and the Lobster Roll ... and both were terrific. He also baked us fresh rolls that were toasty and delicious. We had started with stuffed crab and coconut shrimp which were so tasty and light. Malden is a big guy that we assumed was a European Basketball Player but he is actually a Martial Arts Kickboxer... it was fun to chat with him as he nicely represented the warm mood of this restaurant.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

First let me say, we are not fussy people and in 11 years have only sent one other meal back, we eat out fairly often and travel about. Wait staff didn't speak english well at all, never mind discuss the menu items. Fried appetizers were fine. Grilled scallops and Cod were overcooked, tasted and appeared to have been frozen, definitely not fresh. Cod and scallops were literally like rubber, grey in color and completely dried out. Reminded me of bacalao. The rice was not jasmine either, was mushy out of the box. Service was also lacking, pleasant when checking in but didn't even know how to deal with our issue and instead just disappeared for over 15 minutes. We had to get up and seek the hostess so we could leave. Avoid!!!!!

Reviewed 22 January 2018

This was my first time visiting the Longshore Restaurant, even though we used to dine there quite frequently under the previous name, which I cannot, for the life of me, remember. If any readers do remember the pre-Longshore restaurant, I would appreciate hearing about the name.

Anyway, maybe it was the disappointment that the name, and I am assuming ownership, changed, but we never took the opportunity to give it a try, even though we have passed by too many times to count, and have dined all around Chatham. That finally changed in mid-December when I decided to stop in after seeing “The Post” at the Orpheum in downtown Chatham. Like we used to do, I gravitated to the bar side of the restaurant, which is good-sized with ample stools at the bar and tables around the perimeter. I sat at the bar, which was well attended by the usual locals who for the most part, knew each other on a name basis. And, there was a very jovial and friendly Colleen behind the bar.

While I did not see it on the wine list, I asked Colleen about a Kendall Jackson Chardonnay. They did not have that, but she suggested Hess, which is a good alternative, but also not on the wine list.

As I usually do when solo, I read the current issue of Time magazine and listened in on the various conversations around me. It’s fun and informative, and passes the time versus jumping right into ordering something off the menu.

Anyway, after a period of time, and seeing other dishes the other bar patrons ordered, I went for the lightly battered calamari over arugula, with banana peppers, shaved parmesan cheese, and marinara. While these calamari were the small rings with just a couple with tentacles, they were just about perfectly done, and the light batter was outstanding. However, I did not see or taste any banana peppers at all, and that did not bother me a bit, because I find that they tend to distract from the flavor of the calamari itself. All things consider, these were very good, and I would not hesitate to order them again.

The Longshore has an impressive menu, with sections for just about every grouping a diner would want, including vegetarian, raw bar, kid’s menu, meat & poultry, seafood, fried seafood, and lighter fare. This makes it a good and easy choice for families with kids and picky eaters.

As I was leaving, I went over to look at the dining room. It is quite spacious, but it is also very well illuminated, which removes any and all thoughts of any kind of ambiance for dining. I guess this, along with the menu options, make it a very good option for families or large group, but it not what I am looking for when dining – not just eating – out.

I shall return, but as usual, I'll be sitting at the bar talking with Colleen.

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

Longshore was recommended to us by a local and it didn't disappoint. Warm and friendly staff, attentive service and a good range of seafood dishes. We had the fried scallop platter and the shrimp linguini.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

The food was great. Owner came around to make sure all was enjoyed. It seemed that a lot of local folks came in for drinks and dinner as the bar was full of people who seemed to know each other.