“A lovely location but disappointing innkeepers” 3 of 5 bubbles

Candleberry Inn on Cape Cod
Ranked #4 of 9 Brewster B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Rhode Island
“A lovely location but disappointing innkeepers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

We went to the Cape during Christmas because it is a fascinating micro-eco-system of tidal flows, lovely architecture, and incredible unspoiled and powerful ocean views. However, over a month before our arrival we asked the owner if he would book us a place for Christmas dinner and he said he would. He didn't and so when I checked with him he suggested we try a couple of places. I did my own research and we found the dinner at the old Brewster Inn and Tavern delicious. The breakfasts were adequate at the Inn but not special or well presented except for the made from scratch waffles one of the 4 mornings that we ate there. The extended family also used the dining area as a dining area for the holidays so we felt like we were interlopers. while we will return to the area often, we will not stay here again.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for a room away from the road near the middle or rear of the Inn.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mkayes
Candleberrry, Owner at Candleberry Inn on Cape Cod, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
We were disappointed to learn, via this review, that your felt your Christmas stay with us was less than satisfactory.
We must gently set the record straight, however, for the benefit of future guests. We did indeed send you information about restaurants that were open on Christmas - as you requested - via email on Dec 6th. , with the caveat to "book early". When you arrived without having made a reservation, Charlotte was more than happy to secure you a table at the restaurant of your choice - the Barnstable Tavern - where you dined on Christmas Day (not the Brewster Inn, which was closed).
We enjoyed interesting conversation and good holiday cheer with you and our other guests when we offered complimentary holiday wine and cheese, and would never have guessed you felt like "interlopers" when you returned from your Christmas dinner as we, and 4 adult family members, were finishing our holiday meal in the dining room together!
Since the holidays are an especially joyful time for us, we're sorry that you didn't leave with a happier memory of your stay.
Stu and Charlotte Fyfe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Walpole, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

My husband, 16 year old son and I stayed at the CI for two nights right after the Thanksgiving holiday. I am familiar with the area since I usually stay at a friend's condo in Orleans. There is something really calming about going to the Cape in the off season. This was the 2nd B&B I ever stayed in and was very impressed. Stu and Charlotte were perfect hosts. I thought they were both personable and quite gracious. Stu would come into the living room and light the wood burning stove as I was reading. He helped my son get wifi service on his laptop and was not bothered by me asking many questions. Charlotte would make me a fresh pot of decaff coffee each morning even though I was the only one drinking it. Her apple turnovers were magnificent in addition to the home made breakfast. We stayed in the Seacroft Suite which was very clean. This is vital since my son & I are highly allergic to dust/mold spores. The large bathroom was also very clean. I would highly recommend this establishment to anyone and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lori F
Westford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

We had a very nice stay at the Candleberry Inn. The Inn is very peaceful and relaxing. The Inn is located walking distance to a beach. There is no better way to start a day than breakfast at the Inn followed by a walk on the beach. Stu and Charlotte made us feel at home. We are looking forward to another opportunity to stay at the Inn

Westtown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

This was our 1st time at a B&B as well as Cape Cod. We felt the Candleberry Inn was a GREAT place to stay. It's location in Brewster made for easy traveling to multiple attractions. We stayed in the tree tops in the carriage house and our room was nice and always spotless as well as the bathroom in it. The deck was a nice little extra as well to enjoy a fine cigar on. The Inn itself was also very clean and had a "home like" feeling to it.Plenty of space was available on the grounds as well to relax and have some privacy if needed. Breakfast was cooked every morning and delicious. And while the staff and Stu and Charlotte were professional,they also made us feel welcomed. Any questions we had,Stu and Charlotte could answer as well as give there own input and suggestions which was quite helpful and appreciated as we were 1st time Cape Codders! I would DEFINATELY stay there again and DEFINATELY recommend the Candleberry Inn to others. THANK YOU Stu and Charlotte and the Candleberry Inn for everything. Jake and Nicole.

1 Thank Jake K
Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

My husband and I just returned from our latest stay at the Candleberry Inn. Like the Cape itself, this lovely establishment is a place we never seem to tire of. We’ve stayed at several other B&Bs in Brewster, including a couple with slightly higher ratings, but once we tried the Candleberry Inn we knew we had found our home-away-from-home. The inn and its grounds are beautiful and well maintained; the rooms are charming, clean and cozy, with comfortable beds and all the modern amenities; the breakfasts are hearty and delicious, and coffee and tea are available at all hours. The beach is a short (and lovely) walk from the inn, and several excellent restaurants are located nearby. Charlotte and Stu are attentive hosts, whose concern for their guests extends well beyond the dates of their visit. On one of our stays I managed to lose my wedding ring. I retraced my steps around the Cape and left contact info with everyone but was not very hopeful about the outcome. Then one day I got an email from Charlotte. Apparently one of the maids was cleaning our room and noticed a lump in the rug. She lifted the corner and there was my ring! How it got there is anyone’s guess, but a few days later it was back on my finger. Just another happy ending to a wonderful stay at the Candleberry Inn.

Jo and Ken Yellis
Newport, RI

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are on the 2nd floor, which is what we prefer in a B&B. We've stayed in Hi...
1 Thank Yellises