“Retirement Dinner...”

Ranked #6 of 49 Restaurants in Sykesville
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 28 September 2018

My wife and I went here to celebrate my retirement.
Dinner was nice overall. Atmosphere is good. The restaurant sits, as it's name implies, right next to the railroad tracks and the Patapsco River. We have eaten outside here and it's really a nice environment. It was raining this time so we were inside.

Service was good, pretty fast and efficient. Which I would have expected on a Thursday night. They weren't very busy at all.

Food was good.

My crab cakes were decent size and the squash and potatoes were good.

My wife's rib eye was cooked as requested but it was fatty with a lot of waste. That said it was big enough that there was plenty. It just seemed she had a lot of picking and trimming to get to the meat. Her crab and corn risotto was ok but any crab flavor was overpowered by the cheese in it.

The dinner roles were very small but good.
We did not have dessert.

Overall a nice dinner. At $34 for each of our entrees it's pricey.
Not a place for a cheap dinner.

1  Thank Dan8605

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

Traveling through to Eastern Maryland/Delaware for a race, decided on a whim to try something “non-fast food” for lunch. Just a few minutes off of 70/68, this is a gem! The entire area is quaint and historical, a trip back in time. The restaurant is a former train depot, and literally sits adjacent to the tracks. When trains pass it’s LOUD, but that’s part of the gig. Pretty wife ordered the filet, while i went for a Reuben. Both were fantastic and prices were reasonable. The bourbon selection looked tempting, alas, with more driving to go and a race in the morning that was not a good option. My late father loved trains, and it was really as though he led us here. It’s exactly where he and my mother would have stopped. Definitely worth a few extra minutes off the highway, and hopefully we’ll be back that way!

1  Thank Freddie S
Reviewed 10 September 2018

Loved the vintage feel, but it was a bit too musty for us. Definitely not the best choice if you have allergies/asthma. Our dinner was good, but not remarkable in any way. I had the mushroom bisque and scallops. My husband had a steak. Pleasant staff. Priced a bit on the high side. Glad we tried it, but just too musty for a return visit.

2  Thank Sharlbeav
Reviewed 9 September 2018

party of 4, saturday night: great service by Annie. Calamari, veal scallopini, and tuxedo ahi tuna, all excellent (taste, presentation). Creme brulee for dessert almost matches mine (very very hard to do). The ambiance of the old train station only added to the great evening. too bad the weather was 'iffy' or we would have seated outside and enjoyed the passing train. overall, the entrees were a bit pricey, but quality, taste, and annie's attention to detail means that this stop is definitely worth a return visit

1  Thank jerryk3289
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Our friends from Baltimore picked this location to have a get together lunch. First off we are planning our next visit. The facility can accommodate wheelchairs. The service was very pleasant, attentive, and prompt. MY wife and I started with blackened chicken corn soup — very tasty. I had the Rubin and home made chips. My wife had a cheese omelet — minor problem the cheese was a tad bit runny. Portions were very good.

Date of visit: August 2018