“A very pleasant experience along the South Branch Patapsco River”
Review of Baldwin's Station

Baldwin's Station
Ranked #6 of 49 Restaurants in Sykesville
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, View, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Our dinner here made for a very nice end to a day in Howard and Carroll counties. We sat on the porch overlooking the South Branch Patapsco River - despite the unseasonably warm weather, a cool breeze blew up from the river valley occasionally. The porch sits immediately next to train tracks - unfortunately, there wasn't any train traffic while we were dining.

The kids' meals were fairly massive, with huge piles of French fries (I may have helped finish them off). For the adults, the crab and corn chowder was mild but tasty - not too much sherry or spice. We probably didn't need the eggplant towers, but it was pretty good as well. The red snapper special was terrific, if a bit heavy, and the fish was JUST slightly over-fried (pan-fried, not deep fried) - but the flavors were bold and very pleasing.

If we travel again without the kids, we'll probably try out the cool (but small-ish) bar for dining inside. We've already made plans to return!

Reviewed 28 August 2017

We were seated by one waiter who said that he would be serving us and then he just disappeared. Another young man said that he would be serving us and then disappeared also. Eventually he came back and took our drink order. It took him a while to come back with the drinks. Another couple who came in after us got their drinks and food before us (they had a different server.) We were seated for an hour before our server took our order. It took an inordinate amount of time for our food to come out. Our waiter explained that it was because the kitchen was so small that they don't have a sous chef. He told us twice that they were plating our food before he brought. When the food arrived it was just okay. The Chicken Schnitzel was bland. The Grilled Salmon was good, but the brown rice was wet and the grilled asparagus was stringy. The Pasta Bowl was the only one of our entrees that had excellent reviews. We won't be coming back again.

1  Thank Choirladies
Reviewed 21 August 2017

This restaurant offer outside covered dining that is a pleasure when the weather suits. Beef and seafood dishes alike were fresh and well prepared. We went during restaurant week this time and the Prix Fix menu was well thought out with normal portions. A great place to try if you have not been there!

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I visited on Saturday evening around 5:30pm and we were seated right away. The waitress was very nice and took our orders quickly. That is where the quickness stopped. We waited quite a long time for our food when the restaurant was not busy at all. There were 4 tables occupied including us. I am not sure how many tables were on the porch though. My crab cake was very good, but I did not like the tasteless grilled grits and didn't attempt to eat the vomit like pile on my plate that I guess was the ratatouille. My husband's filet was delicious and so were the potatoes. The vegetable de jour was two huge hunks of cauliflower? It just seemed odd. We ordered dessert, which took over 20 mins to reach our table. I guess they had to make the bread pudding? Overall, the food was good, but I felt like the prices were too steep for the atmosphere. The carpet was well worn and possibly the cause of the smell in the room. The bench along the wall was an old train station bench with dividers. It made it awkward to get into the seat. As the tables filled up around us, I heard the others comment on this as well. Also, I had a gift certificate to use that i bought through restaurants.com-somehow this meant we could not participate in the restaurant week meals because it was another offer. To me, it is simply a means of payment.

1  Thank paws0804
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

We enjoy coming to Baldwin’s Station for special occasions. The food is tasty but the pricing for drinks and the food can be a little over priced.