“"Fun way to spend Christmas Eve"”

Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Bloomfield, New Jersey
“"Fun way to spend Christmas Eve"”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My husband & I needed to arive at church for an early service, so we decide to give this hotel a try. Tiya welcomed us and got us right up to our room. We stayed in a whirlpool room & it was very clean. On the weekends the parking is free and in a covered garage. It was nice having restaurants right outside your door. Enjoyed wacthing the ice skating.Very close to the highway. We got a restful night's sleep.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denise C
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Thank you so much for your comments regarding the Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience the excitement surrounding the downtown Silver Spring area. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area you will again give us the opportunity to service you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in downtown Silver Spring, MD over the Xmas holiday weekend. We often find ourselves traveling over Xmas and staying at hotels. It can be hit or miss because of short staffing and most businesses are closed, but not at this Marriott. The front desk attendants were cheerful and helpful. The location provided plenty of local restaurants, movies and activities as well as free weekend parking in a covered, secure garage. The bistro in the main lobby served a full breakfast and had plenty of healthy choices. If you're traveling over a weekend and need a place near DC, but with convenient access to the hwy and the metro - this is the place to stay

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank David4advice
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I have stayed at the Downtown Silver Spring Courtyard numerous times since it opened. The hotel is in the central Silver Spring shopping, dining and recreational complex. It is just a few blocks from the Metro, across the street from Whole Foods Market and steps away from a variety of eateries. It is also just a short distance from my relative's home. This Courtyard is ideal for my purposes. On various stays I have used the hotel van for transportation to the Metro and a ride over to my brothers. The van is available on a "first come, first serve" basis in a certain radius of the hotel.
The lobby and rooms were refurbished since my last visit in Dec of 2010. The color scheme changed from blue to red. The lobby is more contemporary and the room decor is very stylish. Even the bathroom looks spruced up and they might have even re-tiled the tub/shower. I had a room with 2 queen beds, it was spacious and comfortable. Plenty of towels, coffee maker and nice big flat screen TV. Unlike another reviewer that stayed over the Christmas Holiday I have no complaints with the housekeeeping service. My room was made up and I had plenty of clean towels and a fresh set of bathroom amenities.
My only disappointment was the change to the dining format. Previously, they had a breakfast room and nice buffet. I really liked the available choices; fruits, yogurt, cottage cheese, cereals, various breads, muffins and bagels, scrambled eggs and home fries. I believe they had dinner options too, but I never experienced any meal other than breakfast. I booked a Stay for Breakfast based on my previous visits. The renovations changed the food service to a bistro format. I looked at the posted menu and it did not appeal to me so I ended up changing my rate to room only. The new format looks like a Starbucks and I decided to grab something over at a Panera nearby instead of at their Bistro.
If you don't want to be bothered with a car and need a central location near the Metro the Silver Spring Courtyard Downtown is a good choice for visiting Silver Spring and beyond.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms with 2 beds.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank 105countries
CYSILVERSPRING, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, 2 January 2012
105countries,

Thank you so much for your nice comments about our hotel! I am sorry that you do not like the new food and beverage format that we are offering at the hotel. The idea with the Bistro was to make a quicker; more affordable dining option for our guests. We are truly appreciative of your business and look forward to seeing you in the future. Happy New Year.....

Connecticut
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Stayed here between the 26th and 29th of December 2011. While the location is superb and many aspects of the hotel were adequate, our entire experience was soured by poor or non-existent housekeeping. Upon checking in we found a missed dirty towel in the bedroom-really not a big deal. The following day we returned to our room at 3:30 and the housekeeping staff had just collected the dirty towels and put the garbage cans in one area of the room-unemptied. The bed was unmade, trash not emptied and towels not replaced. As we were exhausted and just wanted to rest we just asked the housekeeper to empty the trash and provide clean towels. We made the bed. The following day we returned to our room at 8 pm. The room was just as we left it at 9 am. This time we reported this to the front desk and while they offered dinner (we had eaten) and then a drink on them, we really just wanted to relax in the room. However, we accepted the drink so we didn't have to stay and linger while the room was attended to. Really, two complete days with no house keeping. Is there a new policy that we pay extra for that these days? While the people at the front desk took care of things, they were not particularly hospitable or friendly. We won't be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Tulip60
Dear Tulip60,

I am sorry to hear about the challenges you faced while staying at our hotel. From your feedback it looks like even with our attempts to resolve the issues it did not change your feelings about your overall stay. I am currently working with my team to address the issues and make sure what you experienced does not happen in the future. We value your business and want you to know that we are truly sorry that this stay did not exceed your expectation. I hope that you will give us a chance in the future, so we can show you the great service you have come to expect from Marriott. Have a happy and healthy 2012.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I was impressed the moment I walked through the door. After a long day's work and travel, the night front desk staff were friendly and efficient. My room request was met and I was on the elevator within 5 minutes. The room was beautifully decorated, clean, and odor free. Very Zen actually. The sheets, towels, bathroom, iron were all clean too. The Ipod clock radio was a dream and the flat screen LCD was also fantastic with HBO included. There was a refridgerator, but no microwave which was disappointing. I was also bothered that the air conditioner seemed to start up loudly, but then again it could just be my sensitivity to noise. There was public parking, $7 per day, free N&W, attached directly to the hotel and there was always an available space. I would defintely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank J B
CYSILVERSPRING, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, 13 December 2011
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel.We truly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you in the future.