“A sushi restaurant to visit in Salisbury”

Sushi De Kanpai Japanese
Ranked #12 of 225 Restaurants in Salisbury
Reviewed 23 September 2018

While traveling, I try to seek out different and exciting restaurants. I stumbled across this one, not easy to find, and was surprised at the quality of food that it serves. My palate is somewhat finicky when it comes to sushi. Cut the fish the wrong way and it becomes a chewy mess in your mouth, cut it correctly and it becomes a savory delight that is truly enjoyed. 4 stars here. Service was slightly slower than I am accustomed to, that being said, it was well worth the wait. The chefs at this establishment try to go out of their way to surprise you with concoctions are truly their own design. You must try to Super Dynamite roll.....a wonderful mix of flavors.....I loved it. Give this one a try, do not be in a hurry, sit, relax and enjoy...........I know you will.

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Great tasting and fresh sushi and other menu items are available for those that don’t eat sushi. The Tophat and Spicy Salmon are two of our favorite rolls. Desserts are good especially their homemade mochi ice cream (our favorites are strawberry and coffee flavors). Some of the best Sushi I have had in the area. Service is slow but food is worth the wait, plan for at least an hour spent here, this is not a quick/fast-food restaurant. Rolls are pricey but they always have specials.

Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

Who would have thought one of the best sushi and tempura restaurant finds would be in Salisbury?! I never did! It’s the real deal when it comes to eating authentic Japanese food. I’d rate the chirashizushi and tempura as some of the best, certainly on the eastern shore, and possibly, in Maryland. It’s not a Japanese restaurant wannabe! The owners are from Japan! It’s a pity we don’t live closer.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

Their California Rolls are amazing and I'm excited to keep going back and try more items from their menu!

Reviewed 1 February 2018

I am not the sushi police or the Auditor General of Sushi regulations; that being said, my take out sushi experience during lunch on a Wednesday literally left me visually "in awe" and "wanting more". Having briefly assessed prior reviews here and on Yelp (since highly rated) it was noted that Tuesdays are discounted or perhaps even buy one get one roll days. Did the place run out of key ingredients the night before? Were the sushi guys so exhausted from Tuesday they couldn't see straight? were they upset that I didn't dine-in and down-sized my take-out order? Or were these smaller than a quarter mini bites the standard roll size and I was crap out of luck for saying so?

As a sushi lover, I have seen and tried many types at restaurants, grocery stores, even gas stations (seen but definitely have not tried on this one), and these were the smallest (in height and diameter) rolls I have EVER seen (see picture--a rarity that I took one). But as Bryant Gumbel on HBO's Real Sports show says, "let's move on".

Quality over quantity. For the rolls I ordered (Mexican, Dynamite, and Dancing eel), there were tasty, given the area's geographical location. Perhaps that's why I bemoan the size, since I wanted /craved more (but who wouldn't, if it's decent fare?).

Intangibles: ginger and wasabi were standard (although wished for a little more of the latter). To my heart/BP's happiness, nice touch that they provided lower sodium soy sauce packets. Place is located on a weird one way plaza street with minimal parking spots, so as a visitor who does not have a permit, side street metered parking your option. The place reminded me more of a diner-esque style than true restaurant look and feel. Both staff women that engaged me were courteous. Of note,the website links do not list any pricing, which I found very odd.

Having re-read my comments, and recollecting that a number of prior reviewers had mentioned price to value concerns (and therefore suggesting going on discounted days and times), the "get what you pay for" motto doesn't jive with me, since based on size/amount, my purchase should have been part of one of those discounted deals. Alas, that is my two bits, which as forewarned, are bigger than rolls.

1  Thank BlearyBusinessBum