“Terrific Hotel for Sports and Youth Groups”

Princess Royale Resort
Ranked #4 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Our youth sports club had the pleasure of staying at the Princess Royale while visiting Ocean City for a soccer tournament this month. The entire staff of the Princess Royale was friendly and extremely accommodating, they made our entire stay a pleasure. The suites were vary spacious, clean and had a great view of the atrium pool area and the ocean. The hotel offers such amenities as a restaurant, bar, indoor olympic size swimming pool, indoor and outdoor hot tubs, sauna, pool side arcade and workout room, The location of the hotel was perfect as well. There was plenty of restaurants and entertainment close by. The kids were never bored at this hotel! We look forward to coming back again next year.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank morinci
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Public Relations Manager at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2011

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your patronage as well as your postive feedback and look forward to serving your hospitality needs on your next visit to Ocean CIty.

Princess Royale

Write a ReviewReviews (2,886)

Reviewed 5 March 2011

Notice the last 3 bad reviews they are all within 3 days , they are witten by the same person , so keep that in mind .also notice the reponse from the hotel . My wife and I stayed in room 468 a ocean front jacuzzi and it is great clean room .I can only speak for this specific room but this is a good hotel and I would recommend it , the room had an awesome temperpedic mattress awesome sleep

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank manors18

Thank you very much for your review and your comments. We appreciate your repeat patronage and look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Ocean City.

SIncerely,

Reviewed 1 March 2011

First let me say I did not make a group reservation nor was I traveling with the cheerleading groups but during my stay the hotel was filled with out of control cheerleaders screaming throughout the entire hotel all nigh long both nights. The hotel is old and filthy disgusting and there is absolutely No customer service and No Respect. The first night of my stay was in an oceanview suite that was filthy so dirty the pull out bed in the outer room of the suite was unuseable. There was mold on the ceiling tiles in the bathroom and the bedroom was worn as if during the summer months the sliding glass doors to the balcony were constantly left open and the sea air destroyed the room. The climate control didnt work and in February in the dead of winter you needed the air on.Security did nothing about the hundreds of children screaming thru the hallways all night long. . The hotel and its lacking customer service could not accomodate us (even though while I was at the front desk checking in others were getting upgraded to 2 and 3 bedroom suites) and I was forced to switch rooms for my second night to a pool view room. The front desk made us check out and re check in and at no time could we get any help in doing so we were forced to lug all of our luggage and a baby port a crib across the entire hotel. While I was at the front desk there was someone making a complaint that her child was bitten by bed bugs during the night and while I was sitting in the lobby the night before the cops were there twice once for underage drinking and second for screaming kids throughout the hotel. The second room which was a pool view room smelled like cholorine and was even more hot and humid than the first room. Never saw housekeeping I gather at one point they were in the room to straighten it up and replace the 2 towels that came with the room. The towels in the hotel even have special filaments in them and set an alarm off if you go to take them out of the hotel according to the sign on the bathroom mirror. The worst part of the trip was as I checked out on Sunday night. I went to the front desk with my small children and IO was the supervisor at the front desk. He printed me my bill and I was using the online welcome back coupon for the free night and there were multiple charges on the bill he couldnt explain including an upgrade fee of 30.00 and sunday nights room which shoudlve been free. I explained I was downgraded for sure not upgraded then he tried to tell me it was the extra people in the room but the only other people in the room were my husband and 3 young children so that wasnt it, then he tried to tell me it was the pack n play of which I brought my own because this rip off a hotel was going to charge me $15.00 a night plus tax for a dirty one.I asked for a manager and was told he was the supervisor and he was in charge and he had no power to do anything that basically it sucked to be me. As I complained about the hotel he was insulting and condescending and could basically care less he told me my children who are 9 months, 6 and 9 were the ones running thru the halls disrupting the entire hotel. I again asked for a manager and was told there werent any he was the only one I then asked for his name and he told me to get it off his name tag and he refused to tell me his last name. Then he apparently decided he sucked at his job so much that he gave up and Called 911 and made the cops come and of course they couldnt help him do his job and they really couldnt be bothered because the hotel is so bad they are apparenlty there all the time. The issue to date is still not resolved because this hotel is not a real hotel there is no one in charge and IO the supervisor told me to call monday morning and a manager would resolve it but the is never a manage in and allegedly if you want answers you need to go thru the board by sending a general email. I intend to follow this thru until it is resolved but will never stay here again....Stay a name brand hotel DO NOT STAY HERE and dont go by the other positive reviews on here like I did or you will regret it as I still am.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank K3J2
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2011

We are in receipt of your review regarding your stay at our hotel last weekend. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you felt you encountered. You are correct that our hotel staff experienced some unusual as well as difficult challenges during your stay and some of your points are valid and for that we sincerely apologize. I assure you that the weekend was not "business as usual" for us. However, and with all due respect, other comments in your review are not accurate and we would like the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you. Please contact me personally at 410 524 7777 and I will be more than happy to both address your concerns as well as review any questions that you have concerning your charges.

Again, we regret that you did not enjoy your stay and look forward to speaking with you regarding your concerns. I assure you that our guest's comments are very important to us and all comments are thoroughly reviewed at our weekly staff meetings. Guest satisfaction is our utmost concern and I regret that your experience did not reflect our dedication to service.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

Do NOT stay here unless you want to sleep in filth or feel like you are back in the 70's!! I had to take 2 elevators just to get to my room, those same 2 elevators smell like someone vomited in them. I can't say I saw bed bugs, but I was very itchy. The front desk is so, so rude, it's obvious they hate their job! Spend the extra money and stay at the Holiday Inn!

• Stayed: February 2011
3  Thank justme028
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Public Relations Manager at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2011

We are in receipt of your posting and would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you felt you encountered during your recent stay. Guest satisfaction is our utmost concern and we sincerely regret that we did not exceed your every expectation.

We, like every lodging establishment, very occasionally experience an issue that is simply not foreseeable and not within our control even with the most diligent planning. As would be the scenario in your own home, we had the challenge of a sudden plumbing issue on the date of your stay. Of course, this was not an issue we could have foreseen and was due to no fault nor negligence. The outside contractor we contracted to resolve this weekend emergency has advised us that the unfortunate issue was caused by several items including wash clothes, diapers, toys and other items being improperly flushed by a hotel guest which, of course, caused a back up. As I am sure you can understand, this is certainly not an issue that we could have prevented as much as we would have liked to do so.

In addition, as there was a large youth conference throughout Ocean City, our hotel as well as many other establishments were host to hundreds of youth and their chaperones. As a conference center, especially in the off season, we are privileged to host numerous groups and conventions of this size. However, as is common, when 500+ youth gather at one establishment for a conference there will be some additional challenges. Being in the hospitality industry, we are accustomed to catering to such size groups and plan to the very best of our ability. Unfortunately, not all guests always conduct themselves in a manner that we, as well as other guests, may prefer. It is always unfortunate when the actions of a few cause an issue to others and we apologize for any inconvenience.

There is no excuse for your suite not being cleaned to your satisfaction. However, had you contacted us during your stay we would have been happy to either dispatch a member of housekeeping to your suite to immediately address any concern or have relocated you to another suite more to your liking.

I sincerely regret if you felt that any staff member was anything less than courteous and professional. Please be assured that your comments will be reviewed with the appropriate staff and corrective action taken as part of our ongoing weekly training sessions. It most definitely was not "business as usual" for us and it was a very challenging weekend for all of our staff; especially the Front Desk and, again, we apologize for any inconvenience. I assure you that we will utilize any comments received to identify the areas in which we can improve.

While I am unable to discern from your review your specific room number, I would be more than happy to look into the exact nature of your concerns should you care to contact me to discuss the matter in detail.

In closing, I do feel it important to state that while the subject of "bed bugs" is receiving world wide media attention, it is NOT limited to hotels as upscale retail stores and other establishments have reported issues. In an effort to be proactive, our hotels annually invest over $10,000.00 each just for prevention for this important issue and we have thus far been very fortunate. However, when there is any question regarding this matter, our national pest control company responds within 24 hours to inspect any suite in question and the suite is immediately placed out of service not only for initial inspection but for follow up inspection at regular intervals as well. I am very pleased to report that such an inspection took place Monday morning and there were absolutely no indications of bed bugs nor any other insects. It is important to understand that this is an issue hotels can not prevent as they are "brought" in, unknowingly, from guests. However, when there is an issue and it is responded to immediately by certified professionals the concern is then eliminated.

Again, I regret that you were not pleased with your stay at our hotel. We sincerely hope that on your next visit to Ocean City that the accommodations, service and staff exceed your every expectation.

Reviewed 27 February 2011

Our room was very outdated, seemed clean until my son woke up the next morning with what looked like bites all over his body, that got worse throughout the day (He was taken to the doctor as soon as we arrived home, and is now on steriods). When I advised the front desk of this the VERY RUDE women did not have a care in the world. When I asked for the phone number for corporate she handed me a business card, it only had a fax and an email on it. I wanted a phone number, she told me there was no phone number, I told her again I wanted a phone number, she then called security to escort me out just for asking for a phone number. My reciept was also thrown at me when I left. We were there with a large group of people, some people of our group had sewage in their bathtubs and this same manager told one of the other parents "we'll get to it when we get to it." Security is awful, we had to call for them three times with people running up and down the halls yelling and nothing was done, this lasted until 2am when the cops came to try to handle the situation but nothing could be done, it was the hotels responsibility and they did nothing. Also the morning of checkout the front lobby was completely flooded. We paid over $100 per night and the Princess Royale is only worth about $30. I will NEVER stay here again and I'm sure after all the complaints from other parents our organization will be going elsewhere next year!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family