“It's a SHACK, but the food is great!”
Review of Shrimp Boat

Shrimp Boat
Ranked #35 of 474 Restaurants in Ocean City
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: If you don’t know Captain Joe, then you just haven’t been to the Shrimp Boat yet. In 1989, Captain Joe set up an umbrella, scale, and a couple of chairs just outside of a box truck along the side of the highway. He set out to sell the freshest shrimp in Ocean City at the best price. Customers had to receive their education first in why cooking shrimp with the heads on kept the juices and flavor inside. This is a 10-second class and always ends with a Free Sample for graduating. Captain Joe says, “Try it before you buy it. I want people to know they are getting the freshest product possible.” The next year, he started selling his shrimp out of the back of a boat along Rte. 611 where we stand today. He is often quoted as saying, ” I’ve owned fifteen boats in my lifetime and this is the only one that has ever made me money!” What started out as just shrimp quickly expanded to meet his regular customers’ desires for fresh seafood with clams, crab meat, and crabs. Today it is now the most extensive line of seafood options like stone crabs, hand-cut sushi-grade tuna fillets, and live lobster. Over the years many nieces, nephews, and even Joe’s own kids worked at the Shrimp Boat as word spread and business grew. In 2009, the first kitchen opened to allow customers to take home the fresh seafood already prepared. Joe quickly outgrew it and added a second, larger kitchen in 2010. The original kitchen is now a state-of-the-art crab room with pressure steam pots to get hot crabs out fast. After much fan fare to get Joe to add seating, Captain Joe’s Restaurant opened in 2012 which offered a full menu, beer and wine, and comfortable seating. In 2013 Captain Joe turned over the day to day operations to his nephew, Joe White who worked at the Shrimp Boat from a teenager through college. Captain Joe himself is still a regular working out of the back of the boat selling shrimp or sitting in one of the chairs out front telling fish stories. So nothing has changed. 2013 saw several new features such as our outdoor seating area featuring up to 24 seats with umbrellas, our outdoor bar waiting for area adjacent to the restaurant, and draft beer tap system featuring local brews too. We have now begun to see our third generation of regular customers; many grew up with the Shrimp Boat their whole lives as a local or regular stop on long weekends and family vacations. Our customers are very special to us, we never take their experience of fresh seafood and great service lightly. However, we are the fortunate ones to have so many interesting characters sit in our chairs out front over the last 25 years and tell their fish stories.
Reviewed 6 October 2018

Stopped for lunch. Hubby had 1 lb. of steamed shrimp in Old Bay and fries, I had the lobster roll and fries, and we both left FULL! Shrimp is served with the heads on so if that bothers you, then skip this place. I thought it would bother me, but it didn't. Shrimp was fat, juicy, and plentiful and very tasty. My lobster roll was just that.......lobster, plenty of it and a roll. No fillers, a few pieces of chopped celery mixed in, and whatever they use as a sauce or binder and a few mild seasonings. Very good, and the lobster was large pieces of lobster, not chopped up. Plenty of lobster. In fact I had a hard time opening my mouth that wide! Lots of people around us were eating whole crabs , pounding them on the paper covered tables. This place is truly a shack, but it's perfect for a true fishing area restaurant.

1  Thank momoo

Reviewed 30 September 2018

This is our 1st visit this season (2018) and dove into a pound of Steamed Shrimp and 1/2 a dozen of Large Crabs ($30) with Side Salads and Hush Puppies. The crabs were very meaty and heavy. Very yummy just as I remembered them last year. My wife enjoyed her steamed shrimp. Our server Debbie was very attentive and friendly. Lots of free parking. Can't wait to come back!!

1  Thank PHLee7ca
Reviewed 23 September 2018

This roadside shack is the tops for its seafood! Not much for atmosphere, what it lacks in aesthetics it more than makes up for in food and flavor. I had a pound of shrimp, along with a start of an appetizer of assorted fried seafood. This was shared with my wife who had ordered the crab cakes. The service is pretty fast and they serve on butcher paper and paper plates. Lots of napkins at the ready, this is now a go-to place.

1  Thank yeshossyem57
Reviewed 17 September 2018

Stopped in for a late lunch and ordered the crabs. They were juicy and spicy.
The place is nothing fancy but a good spot if you like crabs.

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

Food overpriced. We are locals and have had iffy experiences here before, but this time was incredibly bad. Clearly old seafood being over salted to hide bad taste. Tourist trap for folks who do bit know what good seafood should taste like.