“I was back in Ethiopia.”

Shagga Coffee and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 166 Restaurants in Hyattsville
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed 19 June 2018

This is a "MUST" if you love Ethiopian food. Cooked to perfection, not hard, very flavorful and great service. Great prices and the lamb dishes are to die for. Juicy and tender with a good amount of heat and all of the veggies were outstanding as well. We had greens, beets, salad, chickpeas and more. We come here at least once a month when that urge hits us and we need a fix. A really great place to dine.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

Shagga offers super authentic Ethiopian food. The wait for the food is a bit long because they take their time to make a quality product, so be prepared to wait at least 30 minutes for your order. They offer a wide variety of options on their menu, for vegetarians, meat lovers, pescetarians and vegan options.

The price points are affordable, the portions are filling and the staff is really nice. It is an intimate family run business. I enjoyed the Yebeg Tibbs recommended by the server. This was lamb cubes sautéed in onions, tomato and jalapeño. Along with the gomen (collard greens) and Mesir wot (lentils). The lamb was crispy on the outside and moist in the inside. I highly suggest Shagga if you are looking for a traditional Ethiopian meal.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Both the inside and outside of Shagga are unassuming. Nothing noteworthy on the outside, dark laminate furniture on the inside, and a full view of Route 1 traffic in Hyattsville. However our server was both prompt and ready to please, in opening a world of marvelous Ethiopian choices to us. My spouse and I selected a combination platter that included chicken, beef, rare kitfo and four vegetables. We so want others of our friends to look past the modesty of the restaurant's appearance, and experience this little gem sitting in close proximity to the University of Maryland! A pleasant surprise was the Ethiopian beer offerings, main stream wines and even mixed drinks. Not a surprise was the warm pleasure of Ethiopian spices, reminiscent of other places we have enjoyed in Adams-Morgan and elsewhere. At Shagga, we spent quite a bit less than for comparable early dinners in this area. I really look forward to returning in the dead of next winter, when all those aromatic Ethiopian spices will provide even more pleasure, but I'm also certain we will be back even before then.

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

We stop by Shagga regularly after work. The food is really good -like many other reviewers we like the vegetarian platter a lot and do not get tired of eating it over and over—and the style of eating is a unique experience. The price quality ratio is high and the service is very personal , friendly and efficient. A favorite in College Park!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I had lunch here with my husband and two daughters. The moment you walk in the fabulous exotic smells transport you and the paintings are fantastic and add to the atmosphere. The lentil sambusas were so good and the dipping sauce was amazing. Most of us had the vegetarian platter and one of my daughters had a delicious chicken dish. (Doro Alicha). Plenty of bread to scoop us all the delicious flavorful food. A unique lunch at a wonderful place.