“Regular visitors ”

The Pig and Whistle
Price range: US$6 - US$31
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A real Devon Inn. The Pig & Whistle looks traditional and serves traditional. Supporting local from land to sea. A warm welcome from the Landlords & staff. Log Burners in winter to warm you; a decked terrace area in Summer. Large car park for patrons. Less than 2 miles from Totnes along the A381 between Totnes & Newton Abbot. Real home cooked food by our wonderful chef's
Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

We eat at the pig and whistle often and we have tried a variety of meals on offer which have been nice. Staff always friendly, pub is clean and easy distance from Totnes would highly recommend

Reviewed 30 September 2018

We stopped for lunch and had their lunchtime menu ( £6.50 main, £9.75? two courses), which was tasty, hot and well presented. The owner/landlord greeted us upon arrival, which is always a good start in my book.

Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

I visited here whilst on holiday in Devon with my mum. I looked on trip advisor for best rated places to eat and gave it a shot. I wasn’t disappointed! Fabulous portions, fantastic food, great service and a lovely little pub!

Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

I have driven past this place a million times without giving it a moment's thought and I now can't help but think about all the amazing meals I've missed.

My partner and I visited today and as the weather is starting to get cool we fancied something warming. The place is a piece of cake to get to by car and there's lots of parking but being quite far from anywhere you'll have to chose between drinking and driving unfortunately. But the location adds to its charm and I wouldn't change it for the world.

The place is warm, friendly and inviting and we were instantly greeted as we walked in. The owners were lovely and made us feel like regulars as did all the staff.

Starters we had creamy garlic mushrooms with a stilton crumb (with unbelievably good home made ciabatta) and Mac and cheese bites with a tangy relish. The first thing we thought was the portion size was very good and both starters were delicious.

For mains we had pork belly with crackling, apricot and sausage meat stuffing (pictures but crap picture) with homemade veg and cider gravy and I swapped my cider mash for dauphinoise and then my partner had vintage cheddar stuffed chicken breast wrapped in bacon with a white wine cream mushroom and leek sauce with sides of veg and potato. Both meats were cooked to perfection (the pork fell apart with the lightest touch) and the sauces were both rich and decadent. The veg and potatoes were the perfect accompaniment, clearly garden fresh and cooked perfectly. Again the portion sizes were spot-on; it was gourmet quality food but with real sized portions.

With only a little room left we may not usually have ordered a dessert but the food was too good to not give it a try. My partner had a millionaire tart (at least half of that described her accurately) and I myself had the special which was apple and custard crumble with raspberry's. Again, the food was excellent and the fruit especially was fresh and seasonal.

In addition to this there was a good selection of drinks including local ales and ciders and service was never anything but exceptional.

All in all we were so impressed we took out a loyalty card as we will certainly be back soon. It's rare to find a good quality pub that caters for food this well. The food was top-line restaurant quality yet the place had not lost one bit of it's warm tavern feeling. I imagine in winter this place would feel even more cost with the log burners on.

Would recommend this place to everybody and if you want good sized, hearty passionately prepared food without the snobby feeling you may get in some restaurants I can't recommend this place enough. Easily five stars, thank you Pig and Whistle.

Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

We visited for a family meal, very obliging staff who found us a table at short notice.
Excellent menu choice, food fresh and well presented.
Good quality food and nice portion sizes.
Delicious desserts, and individual requests met.
Friendly staff with unobtrusive service
Will definitely return.