“Food Was Great, Service Was Lacking”
Review of Kapnos Taverna

Kapnos Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Kapnos Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 137 Restaurants in College Park
Reviewed 26 May 2018

I really enjoyed the food here - the lamb was incredibly well-prepared, and some of the best I have ever had. Unfortunately, my server at the bar seemed a bit disinterested at best, and angry for having to deal with the commencement crowd at worst. I was dining solo, and received very little attention (my drink was never refilled during my visit.)

I saw other servers doing excellent work - so I will chalk this down to just one bad experience, and would eat there again. Good atmosphere, prices were reasonable for this type of place, and the drinks seemed to be well made.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

We were there at University of Maryland Graduation time, so this place was full and noisy, but we were seated and served quickly. 3 of us shared several small plates, all of which were good. The lamb and the Brussels sprouts were memorable.

1  Thank jtp4
Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Service was attentive. Pita comes salted for some reason. Wings are good as was the mixed grill. Good is mostly small plates. Falafel was served on an eggplant mush instead of tahini.

1  Thank Litig8or2014
Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

My family moved to College Park in 1964 and has lived there ever since. During that time we watched restaurants come and go, most of them mediocre at best. Today we had the pleasure of trying Kapnos Taverna. This is a destination spot that should not be missed. The 50 year drought is over! We tried several of the small plates, starting with eggplant salad, zucchini fritters, spanakopita, and dolmades. All excellent and not the least bit ordinary. There are delightful twists on these beloved classics. There is a parking garage and the restaurant validates. Service excellent. Large outdoor patio. Full bar

1  Thank Mary M
Reviewed 3 May 2018

Friendly service but not obtrusive. Small plates is the way to go. The grilled octopus is a must, olives with thyme is a winner. Lamb dishes are also, predictably for a Greek restaurant, excellent. The sprouts were the only dish that did not live up to expectations..overly embellished so they lost the sprout taste.