“Best crab cakes in the area!”

Schaefer's Canal House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 March 2017

I was here for lunch and had the crab cakes. WOW! I usually judge a seafood restaurant by their crab cakes and can SAFELY recommend this place for them. My suggestion is to stop by for a beer and a crab cake. But all the food we had was very good. Service was excellent with very cheerful waitress. The view out the window is the canal and the bridge across the canal. While we ate a very large boat floated by the restaurant and it feels like you can reach out and touch it because its so close. Enjoy!

Reviewed 19 March 2017

I remember Schaefer's Canal House back in the 70s. It was a 5-star restaurant at that time complete with linen tablecloths and the waiters wore tuxs. Well, time sure has change everything.

Today, it is a family-style restaurant, and while the view is still nice (if you're lucky enough to see a big ship or barge go by), this place is soooo over priced.

Being a native Marylander, I understand that seafood prices are always the higher priced items on a menu, but $18 for fish and chips? The fish was more tempura batter than fish (asked the waitress what kind of fish it was and she didn't even know), and I swore the potato wedges were leftover cut-up baked potatoes that didn't sell from the day before. $12 for a cheese steak sub? (while plenty of meat, it was flavorless). The cream of crab was watery.

The menu boasted a ton of appetizer and sandwich choices, but very few entrees. The Short Ribs were awful -- tough and chewy. Our sirloin steak had to be returned twice because they couldn't get a medium pink center (first time it was well-done burnt, second time totally raw in the middle). The fried oysters were large and enjoyed, as well as a few appetizers consisting of sweet potato fries and crab dip.

You can tell the restaurant does little to separate itself from others. Would be nice to see a few signature dishes. Entrees came with a baked potato and veg of the day -- which was green beans (yawn). Sandwiches came with fried potato wedges (again, they looked like the leftovers from the entrees). And the crab dip had butter-soggy pretzel hamburger roll tops as the dippers (look at the sandwich menu and see how many sandwiches are served on pretzel rolls). Come on...guests can see the restaurant is cross-using many items.

I will finish with our server -- she was very courteous and always made sure our drinks were full.

It was an hour long drive to Schaefer's, and sorry to say, will be our last.

Reviewed 19 March 2017

We had never been here before yesterday but wre very happy with both the service and food. The place is quite large and well laid out with lots of space, a great bar service and very good seafood. We will return in summer when the weather will permit a really great view.

Reviewed 25 February 2017

We randomly got off the highway and searched for a crab place, and were lucky to find Schaefer's! My teenager and I enjoyed every moment of a Feb. spring-like day eating outside on the patio, facing the water and bridge. The food was excellent...the best crabcakes I ever ate, and the scallop salad was also delicious! I would make a special trip here just for the crabcakes...they were that good!

Reviewed 25 February 2017

The setting is lovely. The food is wonderful. The portions are generous. I had the coconut shrimp appetizer with a cole slaw side. Very tasty. It was plenty for lunch. My companion had the crab and shrimp quesadilla and loved it. It had a lot of crab and had not been ruined with a lot of hot sauce and spice, as is so common in restaurants these days.

Unfortunately, the service was uneven. We were seated at a table in the bar area, where there was insufficient wait staff to take care of the customers. Those seated on the porch and at the bar itself got great service. We had to wait for an hour for our lunch as we watched at least five parties on the porch or at the bar, who were seated after us by as much as a half hour, be served and consume their lunch before we got our lunch. Other tables in the same section as we had similar problems. Management could have done a much better job of allocating wait staff, even on a lovely day with an unexpectedly large number of diners appearing for lunch. I have rated the service as poor instead of terrible because, even tough our party had terrible service, other tables in a different area got great service. Clearly a management problem and in no way a reflection of the wait staff itself.