“Very Nice Room, Expensive poor food in Breakfast Buffet. Lack of hot water in shower.”

Doubletree Hotel Bethesda
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 February 2017

I really wanted to be able to give this hotel a five star rating but for a few reasons had to downgrade it. The location is perfect for downtown and with 10 min walking distance of tons of great restaurants in downtown Bethesda.

At first looks it has a very nice lobby and dining room, the staff at the check in was very courteous and helpful with planning our Metro Train connections and route. Love the warm cookies they serve you and their brag is they never run out.

The room was very nice, with a big screen TV, microwave, mini refrigerator and coffee maker. There were also charging stations for phones on the desk. We were on the sixth floor on the street side so there was a little street noise early in the evening which is to be expected. There was also a some hallway noise. Slamming doors and people talking in the hallway but not unbearable. The bed was comfortable and the room was nice and clean with a large vanity top inside the bathroom and a smaller one just outside so it made it very convenient for my wife and I to get ready. The issue we had was with the hot water in the shower. It ran out of hot water quickly. My wife said she restarted the shower several times to get the water warm again. We also had to hold the handle down on the toilet to get it to flush. The room temperature also fluctuated during the night so I had to get up twice and change the thermostat to make it more comfortable.

I would not recommend the breakfast buffet. There was no complimentary or continental breakfast and the buffet was expensive at $17.00 per person The food was very poor and when you open the lids the very hot steam went in your face. We have had much better free breakfasts at places like Comfort Inn or La Quinta. I ordered a Ham and Cheese Omelet and it tasted sour so I returned it.The waitress took the price of my buffet off of our ticket. She apologized, and was very nice and polite.

We nearly missed out Metro Train departure by 3 minutes because the Shuttle driver was late. They informed us the Shuttle ran every hour. They did help us by putting us in a taxi free of charge and getting us there as fast as they could. Had we missed that departure it would have snowballed and we could have missed our flight. out of Washington DC.

If they were to fix the hot water issue in the shower. We would definitely stay there again. I just would not eat the breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: I am not sure if there are inside rooms but would inquire next time. The street side rooms are a lit...
Management response:Responded 27 February 2017

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback about your recent visit. I am glad you had a nice visit and enjoyed your stay although the little things do matter. Guest should receive a clean crisp room where everything is in proper working order. You can be sure we will redouble our efforts regarding the plumbing and HVAC so that no other guests are disappointed. The breakfast buffet should always have the freshest offerings and our cook to order omelets should be delicious. I am glad to hear we adjusted the fee as you should not pay unless you are completely satisfied. Again, I am terribly sorry for the challenges your encountered during your stay. We want all of our guests to have the best stay possible so that they will return again and tell others. Please do give us another try so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Steve W.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,293)

Reviewed 25 February 2017

We reserved a King room. We arrived early and room was not ready so we assured them we would be back at 6 p.m. When we returned they said they had no King rooms left but they would give us a double room. We said we were not happy. The clerk offered us a free breakfast but we said we would prefer the King bed room. He then seemed to make a big deal and finally said he found us a King room. When we entered the room, we found a pillow case with 2 small blood stains on it. It was changed the next morning after I left a note requesting a clean pillow case. We had two breakfasts and we left $6 which was more than 15% tip. When we checked out, the staff had increased the tip to $10.00. Neither of these incidents are deal breakers but put together, we were not happy with our experience at this hotel. I'm not sure that we would recommend this hotel. Very disappointing.

1  Thank LadyKeiraE
Management response:Responded 27 February 2017

Thanks so much for sharing your concerns about your recent stay. I am sorry that our staff was not ready for your arrival and that your reservations and service did not meet our Hilton Standards. A good stay starts with being greeted by well trained staff that put customer service first. From here, a room should be clean, crisp and well appointed. I am sorry we let you down. You can be sure we will follow up on all of your concerns so that other guests are not disappointed. Please do reach out directly so that I can personally see to your accommodations and greet you on arrival in hopes to make things right. Again, thanks for sharing and we hope to see you again very soon.

Steve W/

Reviewed 25 February 2017

Excellent hotel but there is no pool. This would have been nice to know before booking. It was closed for the season. This is just an FYI for those who this is important like it was to my granddaughter. We will have to book somewhere else from now on. If this is not important, it is excellent and conveniently located by the NIH.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Management response:Responded 27 February 2017

Thanks so much for your kind review and letting us know about your interest in our pool. I am sorry you were not aware of what we have to offer and that our outdoor rooftop pool was not available. When the weather turns warm it is a great place to cool off and enjoy a refreshing drink or healthy snack. For those guests that still want to use a pool when they are here, we are happy to point them in the right direction off site and within several blocks of the property. Again, thanks so much for your 5 star review and please do come and visit us again very soon.

Reviewed 22 February 2017

Simply outstanding in every aspect. Staff were top notch in every way. I would under any and all circumstances stay at this hotel in the future. Rooms were neatly arranged, very clean and relaxing....

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Management response:Responded 24 February 2017

Thanks so much for your kind review about your recent stay. I am glad to hear our staff took such good care of you and that you found the rooms very clean which made for a relaxing visit. Please do stay with us again very soon and thanks again for sharing your feedback!

Reviewed 22 February 2017

The rooms are falling apart, toilet seat is chipped, bubbling and peeling. The bedskirt was torn in several places, the desk and lamps were stained.

The bar and restaurant were closed at 21:00. I arrived from the airport just after - with nowhere to go for refreshment.

The housekeeping staff obviously does not speak to the front desk about customer exits. I was rudely interrupted - at 8:30 in the morning - while changing in my room by someone opening my door with a key! There is absolutely no reason why someone should try to access my room at 8:30. Incredibly embarrassing and uncalled for.

Finally, when I tried to take a shower the hot water lasted two minutes, I wasn't able to wash my hair and had to jump out of a cold shower. An unpleasant way to start the day.

This place feels like a single star motel and should be re-rated. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 23 February 2017

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback about your recent visit. I am sorry the hotel was not in the condition our Hilton Standards demand. A good stay starts with being welcomed and serviced by well trained staff that put customer service first and we should not ever let our guests down. All of our rooms should be clean and crisp with everything in proper working order. I trust you let our staff know about your room problem and the disruption that occurred so that we could make things right as our service culture requires. With regard to our restaurant, we do have some alterations which occurs over the holiday as in this past Presidents Day Monday, however we always have our 24 hour refreshment center located in our lobby along with many restaurants right outside our doors in the neighborhood that also deliver. It is not unusual for Housekeeping to start attending to rooms by 8am and I am sorry you did not hear our knock. We always recommend use of the security latch as well as our DND signs so guests are not disturbed. Again, I am terribly sorry of the disappointment in your visit. Please do stay with us again so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort and again thank you so much for letting us know of your concerns.