“tasty lunch in Bethesda”

Hanaro Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #91 of 390 Restaurants in Bethesda
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Good for: Business meetings
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: St. Elmo
Transit: The Bethesda Metro station is on Wisconsin Ave approximately two blocks from Hanaro.
Description: Japanese restaurant and bar featuring, sushi, sake, and traditional Japanese fare.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Huge portions were served for our impromptu sushi lunch in B-Town. We ordeerd Pacific coast Uni and Tuna Toro. we received three giant servings of each that were delicious. Miso soup and Nigiri special added to the noontime repast. This is a wonderful place to get your fresh fish fix. We'll be back. The service was attentive and speedy.

Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

We’ve been testing out all of the poke restaurants in the MD/DC/VA area. Before coming here we thought Poke Papa and Lei’d had the best quality, biggest choice of ingredients and generous protein servings. Tonight we ate here at Poke Dojo inside Hanaro Restaurant. Actually it’s just a different menu for the poke, but the same restaurant. You mark the menu with what you want and they serve it to you at your table. We were blown away by how delicious it was. Huge chunks of fish, mango, cukes, and generous amounts of every topping. It all tasted fresh and delicious!

Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

Food ok but expected more for the price, nice sitting area outside, inside seating available but place a bit smelly, bad service: when complained about having fish bones in our sushi, we were told it is normal to have bones sometimes in eel !! No apologies and no compensation!

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

We looked at the menu we received by post. It looked very tasty and diverse. Everyone could get what they like

When we received the dishes at home, we were disappointed. A dish was different from what we ordered (chicken instead of shrimp). The tempura were very greasy. My son could not eat one sushi which was not smelling good.

Overall, not a good experience

Reviewed 8 April 2018

My brother, sister-in-law, and niece visited Hanaro on a Friday evening around 6:30. After a short wait, we were seated at a table by a front window and a waitress quickly took our drink order. I asked for a Golden Monkey beer, which was listed on a board in the entryway, but they were out. Some other beers were on happy hour special, so I got an Asahi and my brother got a Taiwan Beer. The place even has Ramune (sodas with a marble) and my 10-year old niece got one. Having flown into the area the same day to visit my brother and his family, and having had only breakfast, I was famished and we ordered a liberal selection of appetizers and sushi rolls – edamame, calamari, soft shell crab tempura, takoyaki (octopus balls), seaweed salad, and several rolls, including rainbow (salmon, snapper, tuna, yellowtail), hanaro, yellowtail, a couple of kinds of tuna, and more. My niece also ordered some noodle soup, and when she asked if she could get extra noodles with it, the waitress explained the soup was very large without extra noodles; she was right, because when the soup came out my niece couldn’t finish it. I noticed Hanaro also has something called “sushi boats,” which are large plates of assorted sushi, sashimi, and maki – this might have been an alternative for us since our order totaled more than the cost of some of these boats (some of the “boats” contain over 100 pieces). The food came out in waves due to the quantity, and our waitress kept us in drinks and checked in often. The quality of the food was excellent and it was fresh. Being from New Orleans, I was curious about the soft shell crab tempura and it rates right up there with the soft shell crabs I get down south. I will definitely return to Hanaro to try the many other choices, including full entrees such as Miso Chilean Sea Bass. The only drawback is the common challenge in this congested area of finding a parking place.