“Unique, Tasty, And Generous Portions”
Review of Swahili Village

Swahili Village
Ranked #2 of 71 Restaurants in Beltsville
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: African
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours
Description: The Swahili Village Bar and Grill's Fine Kenyan Cuisine captures the essence of three distant lands: India, Arabia, and Persia. Venture in and be transported to a city in Kenya. Karibu. We serve nyama choma, tilapia, samosas, imported beer, and beverages. A bold, well balanced blend of herbs and seasoning gives this indigenous East African food a unique taste reminiscent of great Asian, Mediterranean, Arabic and Ethioian empires of the past. Enjoy the friendly ambience in African dining in the sole Kenyan Cuisine restaurant conveniently located in Beltsville near Washington DC.
Reviewed 6 January 2018

I didn't know anything much about Kenyan food before going to Swahili. I still don't know much, but I do know that I want to go back again. The food was inexpensive but excellent. It was a little spicy, but only enough to make it more interesting.

First I had a samosa (four of us were sharing these), a seasoned beef pastry with onion and cilantro-- and just right amounts of each for my taste.

Next was a goat dish with seasoned rice and spinach (the two sides were my own choices-- you get two picks with an entree.) I had eaten goat once before, in a very bland stew, and found it chewy and otherwise uninteresting. This was a baked preparation, and it was definitely terrific. My culinary "courage" was very well rewarded! The rice was a nice change from typical rice, and the spinach was very pleasing.

But wait, there's more: lots more! The portions were very generous; it was disappointing to leave food uneaten, but it would have been even more disappointing to suffer the effects of overeating. Really, the food was super.

Interesting decor. Friendly, helpful, efficient server. A decent glass of wine. This was a special night out for us.

Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

Swahili village brought back memories of my land of birth....Kenya! Ugali and Nyama choma, fish fry, Tusker beer, and rhumba music playing in the background...Madilu system! If you are an East African and you find yourself in the Maryland, this should be your next spot!

After struggling adapting to the American accent for a week without any success...it's time to speak Swahili once again here at the Swahili village!

Reviewed 21 December 2017

Visit frequently and never disappointed. Great variety on the menu, drinks are well made and staff are extremely polite. As it gets late, there's room for people to dance and its a great friendly atmosphere. I'd highly recommend ...the DJ..Michael is fantastic.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

We have been coming to Swahili Village since its first location (without sufficient parking) on Baltimore Avenue. We love the new location with a beautiful décor and plenty of parking. The food remains as good as ever. Delicious beef samosas to start - nice and flaky with a tasty filling. Portions are huge, so the prices that folks mention are indeed a bit high, but there is more than enough food on your plate. Love the pepper sauce with its slow burn and bite. We have had no trouble with the service. Raj took very good care of us and was prompt with our drink order (love the Tusker beer), bringing us our order and the check.

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

My partner and I were visiting the DC area and decided to visit The Swahili village for some original Kenyan food.

We arrived around 830pm. It was reasonably busy but many tables open. We were told by the hostess there would be a 15-20 minute wait. I was a little confused with this since there were several tables open but I assumed there were not enough waitresses to service more tables. When we were finally seated we were placed at a table that seemed to be in the bussing closet. My chair actually blocked the opening to the bussing area. I didn't want to have another 20 minute wait so I decided we would just tough it out and make the best of it. At least I didn't have to wait for water refills as the water pitcher was practically in my armpit.

Our waitress Danielle was just wonderful. Super friendly. Super bubbly. She made our experience enjoyable. If it wasn't for her I would not have been happy.

The food was wonderful although highly priced. $5 for two sausages seemed a little over the top. With the prices as high as they were, I felt the owner was really trying to get rich quick. I hope he pays his staff well, especially Danielle.

1  Thank JULIE L L