“Dear "Beware of Papoose Pond",”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waterford
Papoose Pond Family Campground & Cabins
Reviewed 22 September 2017

It sounds like you had a bad experience. I'm very sorry to hear about that.

With that being said.. Maybe this post was written when you... were hungry? Needed a nap? immediately after your shoelace broke? Well who's to say...

Papoose Pond is a deeply loved institution and apart of so many family's story.

I have spent my entire life going to Papoose, and I am endlessly grateful to have been given the chance to do so!

My family goes as a big group at the end of every camp season.. I'm pretty sure we've stayed in every version of accommodation they have. (SO MANY OPTIONS!) You can camp bare bones, or cozy up in a cabin with a fire place, screened in porch, kitchen.. Whatever you want.. they've got it.

I will preface this by saying that I have grown up in NH and feel deeply connected to the woods and camping in all it's forms. It is clean, organized, thoughtful... great for all ages.

THIS PLACE IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!

I am a health researcher with Harvard and have an autoimmune disease. Basically, I get sick very easily and have a good handle on the science of that. I swim here every time I go. It's a pond.. you get what you get. The amount of 'muck' changes with the seasons, but it is incredibly clean and SO beautiful. They even have a sand beach and a designated swimming area! It's awesome.

If you don't like swimming in ponds, that's ok! You have the option of enjoying the pond from above! Kayaking, canoe, row, etc.. So cheap and so easily accessible.

Speaking of activities....THEY HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED, WANT AND DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU WANTED. It's a blast! They schedule a full day of activities for all ages.. PLUS many independent options to try out whenever you feel like it!

My family goes every year. We started decades ago and now the kids are adults.. and the adults are even more adulty.. it's the only way to get us all together. (outside of the holidays.) This place is treasure to my heart.

I really hope you consider this amazing place. It was the first place I wanted to weekend after spending 3 years in Hawaii.. If you miss somewhere in Hawaii.. it kind of has to be awesome. :)

Room Tip: No dogs allowed in the cabins, but ok in Camp Site area.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

Our family, a group of about 30, goes to Papoose Pond every year on the same weekend and it is such a blast! They have accommodations for everyone. Tent sites, sites with just kitchenette, small cottage sites with outdoor kitchens and also with and without bathrooms (plenty of bathrooms throughout the HUGE campground though), camper trailers, small modular trailers and large cottages with 2 and 3 bedrooms. There is an outdoor, heated pool, miniature golf, two lodges for activities and several pool tables, playgrounds, horseshoe pits and ping pong tables throughout the campground. There is something for everyone!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark L
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

What a beautiful campground! The weather was a bit cool during our time there, so we weren't able to use the beach or pool. What we really liked was the built in wooden dining canopies included on many of the sites. They provided shelter from the rain and also the back wall helped make the site more private. We will surely be back!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Carol B
Reviewed 25 July 2017

I have camped here for 15 years. Went with the same people each year and developed wonderful friendships.
The campsites are basic but very clean. The staff is great and only help make your stay more enjoyable. They offer many activities for all ages. The pond is very clean but weedy in areas not used a lot

Stayed: July 2017
Reviewed 26 June 2017

Where should I start? Not pet friendly AT ALL? Filthy cabins? Leaches in the pond? Unhelpful and Rude staff?

My family came to this campground and purchased two cabins for a full week! One by the pond and one pet friendly across the road. I called days before my arrival to confirm my dog friendly cabin and where my dog was allowed and not allowed. The woman on the phone was very nice and explained that I need my dog's rabies information and that dogs were not allowed on the beach nor inside the not pet friendly cabins. We were very excited to find a place where our whole family could camp comfortably with our very well behaved Golden Retriever.

Once we were all set up We walked over to our families campsite. We tied the pup up on a 20ft leash and started to cook on the grill and have a fire. Not only was my 5 month old Golden already well behaved but he was sleeping under the picnic table. We were told that we had to go back to our dog friendly cabin as the dog was not allowed at this site. I was very confused because the dog was not inside the cabin or the pond. I did not want to argue and it was getting late so we retired back to our cabin alone. The rest of our family were unable to fit over at our site as it was much smaller.

This cabin was disgusting! It was dirty and smelt like pee. I kid you not, we slept in our car that night and planned on talking to the staff in the morning. That morning we walked back over to our families site to help clean up from their breakfast and head over to spend more money at the arcade with the kids. A very angry man on a golf cart flew over to the site and immediately started raising his voice, shouting we do not know how to listen and we have been spoken to three times about not having our dog at this site. First, I was baffled how this man was speaking to us. Second, am i not allowed to walk my dog? The man said he wanted us to leave the site right now and if we dont like it we could leave. Now mind you, we were collecting out family members and going for a morning walk down to the cafe/arcade area. I began to ask the man how we were suppose to have a family vacation when we are not allowed to take our dog away from our site and we cant leave him at the site unattended?

All I wanted to do was stay at a campsite with my family and dog and enjoy relaxing outside. Although this campground states they're dog friendly, we did not feel welcome at all. In fact, the staff was beyond rude. At check in, I was not given a map or shown where my dog was allowed and NOT allowed. All I was told (WHEN I CALLED DAYS PRIOR) was no dogs on the beach or in the cabins. Very poor communication on the staffs part.

Prior to my stay I did much research, as I do before any traveling. I read some poor dog related reviews about this campsite BUT decided to give it the benefit of the doubt because my family seemed to have fun coming here the last TWO years.

We will NEVER be coming here again! Did I forget to mention that my husband found a leach on his toe after spending 10 minutes calf deep in the pond? Oh and we confronted a staff member who told us it was nothing to worry about and that the pond was safe! Haha This place was disgusting and I didn't even mention the bathrooms.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY AT THIS HELL-HOLE.

Room Tip: Although this pace says pet friendly, they are not! Leaches in the pond! Staff was driving around on...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Allison E

Been to Papoose Pond Family Campground & Cabins? Share your experiences!