See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Great B&B !!!! Dominika and Linda are so welcoming and helpful. Truly wonderful hosts.
We stayed one night in the Robin Room. The bed is very comfortable. The room is quiet. I wish we could have stayed longer. It was so cozy and charming AND filled with an amazing collection of books. I would love to come back again and spend a couple of days just to explore the books !
The breakfast was definitely the very best breakfast i have EVER had at a Bed & Breakfast.
WOW ! I can't say enough about how great our experience was.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cherie z
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Above all what stands out about this B&B is the welcome from its owners, Dominika and Linda. Within our short stay of 4 nights we felt we had made two new friends, who were genuine, interesting and affectionate women. We stayed in the Robin room, which was a cosy room on the second floor, with a super comfy bed, an armchair and soft lighting from various eclectic lamps. The room was full of books, photographs and knick knacks that could have kept us browsing for days. There was, however, the enticing smells of coffee brewing and herby concoctions being made that lured us downstairs to Dominika's inviting kitchen/breakfast room, where we lingered over a delicious breakfast whilst engaging in lively chatter with Linda and Dominika. In all our travels we have never known a B&B where we were made to feel so much at home. We only had four days and wanted to see the best that mid coast Maine had to offer us, without Dominika's advice and directions, we would never have seen so much. She provided us with detailed maps, the most spectacular places to visit, the best restaurants to eat in, taking into account our tastes and interests. We also found time to wander through the beautiful garden at Le Vatout, it constantly surprised us with its twists and turns, just when you thought you'd come to the end, there would be another little nook or cranny to explore. Although we didn't have time, there were lovely areas of the garden to sit and relax in...we will certainly return to enjoy that experience. All in all our stay at Le Vatout made our holiday in midcoast Maine unforgettable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elaine D
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My fiancee and I visited Le Vatout for a five-night stay earlier this month (10/2013) after having found it in a B&B listing online. We were going to Maine for a wedding in Boothbay and we figured we'd make a real trip out of it. In some ways we were very impressed with Le Vatout and its proprietors, but for us the experience also one very noticeable flaw.

The good parts were very, very good. Even if it's on a road that seemed a bit on the busy side, the B&B itself was in a nice, convenient location. We never had to embark on a long drive to get anywhere of note, and in fact we were consistently pleased to discover how close everything was. Dominika were never anything other than pleasant and enjoyable - really, she's delightful. (Linda was ill during our stay, but I'm sure that she's just as lovely.) Her recommendations were - in each and every case - spot-on. I consider myself to be a knowledgeable person about where I live, but even I was impressed with the depth and breadth of her suggestions. Her breakfasts were also almost shockingly good, including some that were vegetarian. (Handling dietary restrictions doesn't seem to put Dominika off of her culinary stride at all, which is nice.) It's obvious that she takes pride in all of this, and she should - really, I don't think that our trip would have been as good without her.

That having been said, our trip would also have been much better if we could've stayed in a different building. I have relatively well-controlled asthma and both my fiancee and I have allergies of only middling severity, but even so the musty state of the Vatout house made it very hard for us to feel rested. For me in particular this was a significant issue - I had a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep simply because my breathing was so impaired. (And, again, this is never true of me in general. I used my inhaler more times during our five nights than I did in the preceding five months.) Possibly this was just an issue with our room (which was on the first floor whereas the others are on the second floor); in any case, I would very strongly recommend that anyone with a similar medical situation look elsewhere. I can't say whether this negative outweighed all the positives, but it certainly made our trip far more stressful and less enjoyable than we had expected.

And that's a pity, really, because otherwise Le Vatout is very nearly perfect. (It's doubly a pity because Dominika herself is so nice and likable.) It's just that a good bed and breakfast has to come through on both parts, and for us the "bed" portion was a significant pitfall. Those who are confident of their respiratory systems can safely consider this a 4- or 5-star review. But, though it pains me to say this, anyone else should seriously weigh the risks against the benefits before staying here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Eli H
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

My new wife and I chose Le Vatout as our honeymoon spot; we were rewarded beyond expectations. Dominika and Linda treated us to warmth, love, good food, intelligent conversation and new artistic friends. Dominika's cooking was simply splendid. Fresh. Organic. Real, and from the heart. We highly recommend Le Vatout and would be happy to return. Go there, converse often, eat well and be happy. :)

Peter and Elizabeth

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I can no longer hold back on my disappointment with my experience with Le Vatout.
My wife and I recently spent two terrific nights at the Mill Pond Inn in Damariscotta Mills, Me. not many miles from Le Vatout. Our original choice had been Le Vatout, but after leaving a voice mail asking to be called back and hearing nothing after a day and a half, I initiated another call.
Imagine my surprise when after talking with Linda I was told we don't want your [--] business.
In fairness Dominika called me eventually and explained there were emotional issues.
I have tried to hold back from posting this review as some of her explanations made sense.
The bottom line, however, is that another reviewer had the same complaint about bad language and the Mill Pond Inn, not far away was so pleasant that my wife and I decided that potential guests shoud be aware of the choices.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family