All reviewsclark islandboarding housefrittataliving roomshort drivereal maineprivate bathterrific viewscallopsfollowing morningcoastal mainecomplimentary breakfastoff the beaten pathfresh fruitfront porchold quarryjoanne
Reviewed 14 October 2017

We spent one night at the Craignair over Columbus weekend (2017). We were a party of three, staying in two rooms on the 2nd floor, with en suite bathrooms.

We were greeted by one of the owners (Joanne) and her welcome was at best tepid. She was rather dismissive as she showed us around the inn and then to our rooms. Most importantly, she did not tell us that breakfast was only served between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., nor was that information posted anywhere we could see. That sort of breakfast schedule does not meet the needs of guests - but perhaps it meets their needs. Regardless, we missed breakfast by 20 minutes and only received a half-hearted apology with no offer to provide toast, coffee, or even cold cereal.

We dined at the Craignair and dinner was mediocre. I had the scallops, which were slightly overcooked and resembled bay scallops, rather than sea scallops. My husband started with clam chowder, which he described as "bland." Our server was excellent; she was professional, friendly and attentive. Thankfully, the cocktails were spot-on.

Though our rooms were comfortable, there was no mini-fridge and no information regarding the inn, such as breakfast time etc.. Additionally, in the room of one of our party, the sheets were unclean, specifically there was eye make-up (i.e. mascara) on the top sheet.

I travel regularly (domestically and internationally) for my work and I have a wide experience over the past 30 years of hotels, inns and B&Bs. As such, perhaps my expectations were simply too high for the Craignair to meet. So, if you are looking for a professionally run, welcoming and guest-centered experience, I advise you look elsewhere than the Craignair. I simply cannot recommend it, nor will I obviously return.

Room Tip: Though I can't recommend this inn, if you do opt to stay here, choose a room with an en suite bathroom.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Joanne O, Owner at Craignair Inn at Clark Island, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thank you for sharing your opinion. It's impossible to address the concerns of a disappointed guest when we have no indication that they are unhappy when they are in our presence.
We are very glad you enjoyed the cocktails and that you mention our server, Cassie. She is a true gem and it's a privilege to have her on our staff.
We hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels and all the beauty Mid-Coast Maine has to offer. Kindest regards to all three of you. ~ Joanne

Reviewed 13 October 2017

We wanted to spend the second half of our vacation further up (or down) the Mid-Coast region. I researched places to stay in the area and the Craignair Inn looked like a winner. Off the beaten path, on the water, great reviews. We were not disappointed. All B&B's have different amenities. The Craignair Inn is very comfortable. It wasn't crowded, but busy for October. We wanted a private bath. Our room was cozy and the bed was very comfortable. I slept like a rock each night. Joanne & Michael are really nice, fun hosts. Joanne really makes you feel comfortable and Michael does a great job in the kitchen providing nice, big, healthy breakfasts (even if he is a Bruins fan). MiMi is a great host as well. She just goes around visiting all the guests at breakfast. We spent two of our days traveling around the area (Camden, Rockland, Boothbay, Bath) and spend our last full day just chilling at the inn. The big living room area is great to just hang out and read. I took a nice hike onto Clark Island. Just about a 7-8 minute ride back to Rt.1 and Rockland. We were able to have dinner our last evening at the inn and it was really good as well. Parking is abundant. Everyone is friendly. It was easy to feel comfortable at the Craignair. We hope to visit this wonderful place again in our travels and I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates a good B&B experience.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Joanne O, Owner at Craignair Inn at Clark Island, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2017

Thank you very much! Craignair is right in the middle of the mid-coast..great for exploring all the places you mention. We're so glad you enjoyed your time here!

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Like other reviews say, this is a historic building, with shared bathrooms, but only a few rooms share each one, so they're not crazy busy. Also being an historic building, soundproofing is less than ideal, but i get the feeling everyone understands the compromises in keeping it characterful and is respectful of the lack of "noise privacy". The location is gorgeous. The owners and staff are so friendly and pleasant. I didn't eat in the restaurant as I wanted to explore the area some more, but it is possible to buy drinks from the restaurant and take them out onto the deck, overlooking the sea and Clark Island - and doing that was a perfect wind down after driving around most of the afternoon. It is a charming and somewhat romantic place (but keep your romance quiet because of the neighbors in the adjacent rooms). It is certainly just great to switch off, enjoy the scenery, and relax on the deck or in the lounge, and take a walk around the bays and onto the island.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Joanne O, Owner at Craignair Inn at Clark Island, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

So glad you enjoyed your time here and we look forward to seeing you again! Thank you!!

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

We love to stay at the Craignair on our way to Monhegan. We’ve found the charming and relaxed inn a welcoming respite after a long day of travel. The hosts, Joanne and Michael, are always welcoming and friendly. In addition to the charming, comfortable room; the breakfast, included in the room rate, is always hearty and delicious. Because we were traveling on Monday we did not have dinner at the inn but if you are able to schedule a visit when they are serving dinner I would highly recommend it. The food is high quality, sourced locally and expertly prepared. Don’t miss that opportunity!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Joanne O, Owner at Craignair Inn at Clark Island, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Thank you very much! So glad you enjoy yourself here, and find the location easily accessible to the Monhegan Ferry--just 25 minutes down to the end of the peninsula! We look forward to your future stays, Joanne and Michael

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

So...my wife and I wanted to take my daughter and her good friend to Monhegan, as I have been going for years. We chose Craignair because they allow Pets and we had taken my 10 lb Shorky who is fully trained and never barks to the island with us. We booked through a booking site like this. We then confirmed with booking that dog was okay, were told only in some rooms. Booking was confirmed, card was charged, weeks before our stay(first this has happened to me in awhile and we travel a lot), and we went to the island, arrived for check in at 6ish. We were only staying for one night. We were given room key, details for booking were correct. We were booked in dog friendly building.
After unlocking room and going to car to unpack, I am approached by man saying he is husband of woman who checked us in, that they are the owners, and they didn't know we had a dog. I confirmed this is why we booked and that we called ahead. He seemed quite agitated and even swore several times about "booking sites" and how "we shouldn't use those sites and should call the hotels directly", that he is on a mission to change the industry.
I found this off putting, my wife found it offensive, and I was wondering why he lists with these sites if he hates them-then tells customers they did something wrong booking with them, as that's how YOU got my business. So confused:(
Next....he asks for all my dog license and vaccinations, to make it all good. I was floored. We do not travel with this info-especially when we call ahead. I told him so and he seemed to understand this, however he then went on another thesis about how there is a few of 25 dollars that they would now need to charge us(I said fine) because she may have flees-my dog I assume, not my wife. I was shocked this place was well rated on Bring Fido-won't be by me.
They also insinuated the dog should not ever be in room alone. So we chose not to dine at their restaurant and got take out instead and ate in the room. My wife didn't even feel comfortable at complimentary breakfast because we left the room with dog in it. Glad we paid that fee for a dog friendly place;(
Lastly-at breakfast, we were not spoken to. We had to ask other patrons if we should seat ourselves. Once we did, owner came out eventually, but never told us she would serve us. After we asked -we were told she would be right with us-she sure was. She came back with a plate -all prepared, we had no say, no allergy awareness, it was the only choice. I have a gluten allergy and when I asked about wheat- she said "no-its fine". Less than reassuring, maybe, she was the cook/owner???
Needless to say, though we travel lots-we will not travel back this way. Between being treated like I did something wrong-when they list with these sites, to being sworn around(with two kids in car), and charged for dog convenience that was less than convenient, and cost them business at restaurant-we are out at 10, before check out.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Joanne O, Owner at Craignair Inn at Clark Island, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Hi there, thank you for your note.
I do want to apologize for our (lack of) communication and especially for any profanity. My husband and I strive to communicate well and to surpass our guests expectations.
I do remember you checking in and telling me that you are gluten free so when I served breakfast the next morning, I didn't mean to be short with you..we served a vegetable frittata, roasted potatoes and fruit that morning (all gluten free). When we have a full house, our breakfast hour can get a little hectic and I tend to tell those who come in first how breakfast works (serve yourself coffee and juice and then I bring out our main entree.) I'm usually juggling a couple people's requests, since we ask everyone when they check in the night before if they have any allergies, and tend to keep them in mind rather than verbalizing them in the morning..I understand how that can appear to be non-communicative. I do apologize--my focus tends be "getting everyone served" but I sometimes forget to smile and say I'll be right there--I appreciate the reminder!
Regarding your pup: we are pet friendly and like any inn, hotel or b&b that is pet friendly, we have a pet policy (referred to on the third party site and found on our website.) I'm wondering if you never received the communication I sent via the extranet on the third party with whom you booked. I sent 2 messages. The first thanking you for your reservation, saying that I see that you reserved a pet-friendly room and asking you to review the deposit and cancellation policy on that third party site as well as our pet policy (and providing the direct link to it) if you were bringing a pet. The second message explained that your card had been charged per the deposit & cancellation policy on the third party site and let you know that breakfast is included in the room rate and that our restaurant was open for dinner. When I didn't hear back from you, I assumed you saw the messages.
We love to have dogs stay with us, but we do appreciate a heads up before guests arrive with their pup. It sounds like you spoke to a representative from the third party site who should have directed you to give us a call directly. On the site you used, it says: "Please note, pets are allowed only in certain pet-friendly rooms. Please contact the property for further details." In the end, we did not charge the pet fee for your dog. I remember thinking when you left that you clearly hadn't seen our policy and that I'd just let it be. Our pet policy is intended to keep all our guests and pet guests safe and our building clean, plus we donate a portion of every fee to our local shelter. Over $300 so far this season!
Again, I'm sorry it was a strange visit. We do hope you enjoyed Monhegan and the rest of your vacation.
Kindest regards and safe travels in the future, Joanne