All reviews sitting area large room bagels the breakfast area two double beds would definitely stay here again an early flight desk clerk we've stayed one night stay room was clean and comfortable close to the airport kitchenette mall shopping portland shuttle
Reviewed 8 December 2017

Very nice hotel. Have stayed many times. Great breakfast in the morning. Rooms are clean. Microwave and fridge are supplied. Staff are friendly and helpful. Great location just up the hill from the Maine Mall.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Kevin P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2017

Dear MMboyd,

Thank you for the positive feedback and I am glad to hear we are your first choice when you stay in the area. I will pass along your kind words to the staff and we can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

The heating system lacked a thermostat and was hard to adjust to get proper heat in winter! The bed was uncomfortable and there was no sink in the kitchen area! And the guy at the front desk forgot to put us down for our shuttle bus!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear MaineGuy777,

We do appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your most recent stay.I do apologize that we did not mark you down for the shuttle. We will be undergoing a full renovation starting in January, and would love it if you came back to give us another chance. Please reach out to me directly if you do decide to stay with us again.

Reviewed 5 December 2017

My husband and I came in on a late flight and knew we would not want to go far as we would be tired from working all day and taking a late flight. So booked something close to airport. The reviews on this hotel were not bad. Got in, caught the shuttle and off we went. Outside of hotel is very nice. Checked in, since was after 1 a.m. asked for a quiet room since we had planned on sleeping in. Said certainly and gave us a room next to the elevator across from the breakfast/dining area. Really??!! Went back to desk and asked for a different room. Got to the next room and the smell was HORRIBLE. Smelled like someone had been smoking in this room. By this time I am so tired, I said whatever and took a shower and went to bed. The sink is in the bedroom, so next morning my hubby was trying to brush teeth without waking me. but that was not possible. Next morning was starving since we did not eat dinner. Well to say slim pickens was being nice. Yogurt, cinnamon rolls, cereal. So needless to say, we packed up, and went out for breakfast. Would not recommend this unless your standards are low. The price was not that of a low quality hotel and usually we love Holiday Inn's. Look elsewhere is my suggestion.

Room Tip: Room 612 smelled and was very dated.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Kevin P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

Dear CIfreo1984,

I am sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. I do thank you for mentioning the quality of the appearance of the outside of the hotel as our grounds team does work hard to maintain the upkeep of the property. The initial assigned room and the odor of the new room are two items I have looked into and have spoken with the correct departments on. Our breakfast hours are from 6:30 am to 9:30 am and our team does their best to have all items stocked throughout the entire period. We will be undergoing a full renovation starting in January and would love to welcome you back in the future because I know we are better than this.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

For the first vacation we had taken in 4 years because of my husband's cancer surgeries, we decided to go north. We had not been to Portland in 5 years, and were looking forward to being in this particular location due to its proximity to many "sights." We did advance booking because of my husband's Holiday Inn membership and asked for first floor handicapped accessible room for my husband. We arrived and were told they had us on the 5th floor (because that was where the handicapped rooms were - REALLY? 5th floor? what happens in an emergency?) The best we could bargain down to was the 2nd floor (they explicitly said there were no rooms on the first floor), so my husband took the cart of luggage up while I parked the car. When I walked into the room, my nose burned because of a vinegary smell in the air, and within 90 seconds I was feeling my chest tighten and breathing problems starting (I have allergy induced asthma, and mold is my biggest allergy). I gasped to my husband that i could not stay in that room, grabbed my albuterol inhaler and bolted down the stairs to outside. After 10 minutes in the fresh air and several squirts of the inhaler I was able to talk again, and we went back in and tried to explain to the clerk that I could not stay in the room for health reasons. Amazingly, we were offered a room on the first floor (that had not existed when we checked in). I went in that room, and the smell, while not as pungent as the second floor, was still intolerable for my already challenged lungs. We left and spent two hours driving to different hotels trying to find an available hotel room. We ended up at a Ramada Inn and Conference facility in Saco, Maine, 40 minutes south of where we had started.

The Ramada was clean, (and SMELLED clean!!) and actually cheaper than the Holiday Inn, and the night clerk, upon hearing our story, was happy to walk with me to let me inspect the room and determine if my allergies would be ok in it (they were) before he processed the charge for the room. The breakfast the next morning was great. The Ramada was a very positive experience, and the staff was great.

Three days later, upon arriving home we found that we had been billed a penalty at the South Portland Holiday Inn, and had tens of thousands of points deducted from the Holiday Inn membership my husband has. It took him two days on the phone and with e-mails to get things cleared out (a true medical reason considering I could not stay in the building due to mold in the room). REALLY, REALLY DISAPPOINTING.
If it were not for my husband's fixation with Holiday Inns, I probably would never stay at one again after this experience. I certainly won't when I travel alone!

Room Tip: Don't be allergic to mold. I suspect that the mold is throughout the entire HVAC system, and the windows are sealed shut.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Shane B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2017

I am very sorry to hear the experience that you had. Our general manager will reach out to you directly to make this right.

Shane

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel early this week as we had an early flight from PWM. The shuttle was new, the driver was full service and a gentleman. The hotel allowed us to leave our car in their lot for the four days we were gone. We returned late and stayed last night. The free breakfast buffet was generous. Our room and the public areas including the hallways are fresh, nicely decorated, good detail and clean. This is a "limited service" hotel with a lot of service and a happy staff.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Shane B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Pam,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to write this generous review. It is so great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Shane