All reviews ocean front tent sites quiet hours camping trip great playground goat bathrooms and showers within driving distance great family beautiful tent marine biologist play ground laundry facilities full moon three nights look forward beautiful grounds
Reviewed 21 August 2017

The view is beautiful. No doubt. We had a premium site that overlooked the bay. Our own deck. It was fun to head out at low tide and look for shells and sea creatures. My 11 and 12-year-olds enjoyed that for one day but unfortunately, there just wasn't enough else for them to do. We had planned on spending the entire week there but after 2 days we packed up and left. Mostly because of our preferences in what we look for in a campground. The site was clean; the bathrooms were clean. It was VERY quiet. The main issue was the site was so small and we were so close to neighbors on either side (sadly, the 5th wheel next to us, their bump out hung over onto our site so we were literally sitting underneath their living room when we were trying to enjoy our campfire. We had to whisper so as not to allow the neighbors to hear what we were saying. Not to mention the fact that the neighbor thought it was totally acceptable to wash her dog and her dishes on the backside of her camper - inches from our picnic table. So the main reason for the 3 stars is it was very pricey for the size of the site. We don't have a very large camper and if we had extended our awning, it would have hit the bump out of the camper next to us. Again, nice campground - clean, friendly staff - just not the place for us.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Mom2hockey2
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Lovely spot with great views, very family friendly. There is a marine biologist that educates the kids on oceanic life etc. Pricey for camping, but very unique and worth the $$$. Excellent game room, play ground, laundry facilities, bathrooms are clean.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hivehugger
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Searsport shores is a wonderful little campground for individuals, couples, or families. The ocean front access is amazing and the tent sites are very nice. As a word of caution though, the campground has ALOT of rules and while many of these rules make it such a nice campground, you will want to be aware of them... for example, don't expect to be able to hang your hammock on some trees... or anything else for that matter. the campground does provide hammock stands, but these don't really work well with many of the most popular hammocks, like ENO. Again, I would not read this as a negative necessarily... the camp is very environmentally conscientious and seeks to conserve the nature that makes this such a wonderful campground.

Room Tip: the online maps are a little hard to really know what you are renting. Give them a call and let them help you choose a good spot.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bernard W
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We are a family of 3 who just returned from a 4 night (tent) camping trip at Searsport Shores. We had a great time and hope to return next summer.
Upon arrival, we were not 100% happy with the camping site that we were assigned and the owner was very helpful and accommodating, allowing us to change to an oceanfront campsite that better suited our wants and needs. The view from our campsite was fantastic, and we really enjoyed listening to the waves before falling asleep at night.
The grounds are very well-maintained and have pretty quaint touches (gardens, sculptures, etc...) throughout the site. Our son really enjoyed playing in the playground, visiting the goats, walking on the trails in the woods, exploring the rocky shore and searching for seashells. We did not participate in any of the collective activities offered at the campground (tour of the beach with a marine biologist, art activities for children, etc..) but hope to do so on our next visit.
To address the bathroom concerns in one of the previous reviews: I am a germophobe who avoids public bathrooms whenever possible. The bathrooms at Searsport Shores are as clean as any public bathroom could possibly be. I saw employees cleaning the bathrooms on SEVERAL occasions during my 4 night stay. The women's and men's bathroom are located beside one another and the entry to both bathrooms are facing the laundry machines. The previous poster is correct, there are no doors leading in to the actual bathrooms, but a curtain that comes down a bit (maybe a couple off feet?). There are three toilets located in stalls that have doors (the doors of the stalls do not reach the ground). Are the bathrooms private? Eh. Not really. But to be honest, I actually felt much safer sending my child alone to the men's room (while I used the ladies room or waited in the laundry area) knowing that the bathroom was more on the open side. Also, the little seating area in the laundry room faces away from the doors of the bathrooms. There is also one completely enclosed private stall next to the men's and women's bathroom for those with mobility issues, or for parents who would want to accompany a young child to the bathroom. As for the soap, it is a lovely smelling bar of goat soap. No liquid or antibacterial soap options. Germophobe that I am, I always carry a small container of Purell wherever I go, so I would just disinfect my hands after using the washroom. The showers are located in completely private and individually enclosed stalls in the same building as the laundry and bathrooms. Again, the showers were as clean as one can expect for facilities that are being used by a large number of people. Most mornings, my shower stall was immaculate. One morning, there was a bit of hair and dirt residue near the drain. The water was always warm and the pressure was decent.
Again, we were very satisfied with our experience at Searsport Shores and hope to return next year with another family. Thank you to all those who helped to make our trip so memorable!

Room Tip: The ocean front tent sites are worth the extra $
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Nat1415
Reviewed 27 July 2017

I read quite a few of this place's reviews before booking here. Their insistence of following their quiet hours was a plus for me. I had high hopes for this place. At first impression, all seemed good.

Pros:
Their playground is very nice!
The view is awesome, but EXPENSIVE.
Owners are nice and friendly.
It is shaded.

Cons:
Bathrooms: If you don't mind men being literally right around the corner from you in the women's bathroom, with no doors on either "side" of the bathroom, and you don't mind being able to see out into their "hallway" from both men's and bathroom, this set up might not bother you. However, it did bother me. I have two daughters and I did not feel it was a good idea to allow them to use the restroom alone. You can be in a stall in either men's or women's and see out into the hallway, with washers and dryers!
There is no soap...they use their own goat soap they make. So if you want to share germs with everyone else on the communal bar soap, you will be happy. I don't mind bar soap with my own family, but not everyone else.

Showers: Of the four days we were there, we never had a hot shower, more like lukewarm and was not for long. They ran out of warm water fast!

Quiet Hours: They are quite anal about their quiet hours and even state on their map that they do not allow late arrivals. That's all fine and good, but if you are going to do that, you better make sure you monitor those quiet hours. There were two mornings where we had noisy neighbors, one being folks leaving at 5am with their noisy dog barking the WHOLE TIME.

Rates: They pride themselves on being competitive rates for their location, but I found their rates to be quite high... For those who want sewer hookups, look elsewhere. Their excuse is that they are too close to the sea to have sewer hookups. That's rubbish because I know of several other campgrounds in the near vicinity that have sewer hookups. They rate their sites in rows away from the ocean. We were three rows away from the ocean which was considered an ocean view...and it was.....IF there was no one in row 2 or 1. Otherwise, there was no view. We paid $66 a night for that ocean view....and that was without sewer hookup. We have stayed all over the US in our camper, and even at an award-winning KOA in Glacier, with full hookups we didn't pay that much per night.

I did express all of my concerns with the owners, who graciously responded, but stated that their bathroom set up was recommended by a police officer...I find that very hard to believe. Even so, having the women's and men's bathroom more separate is important. No one wants to be able to see into either while you are doing laundry and if you have young children, this is not ideal. They said bar soap is supposedly safe b/c it kills germs. That's fine, but not for my family.
They said they had a water main line break and that's why we had cold showers and messy bathrooms. NOT ONCE did they offer us a refund for that. Yes life happens, but you should work to keep customers happy.

If you like "earthy" environments and communal living, and don't mind paying an arm and a leg for it, then this place might work for you. Otherwise, skip it and go somewhere else!
Their speed "bumps" were a bit larger than regular bumps. Our camper and weight distribution hitch dragged on two of them. The lady at check-in, Elaine, was not very informative. I had to ask for a map and where other stuff was.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family