“Large, nice facility”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 4 November 2017

I was here for a very large conference and stayed on site as well as attended the conference at the hotel. The room was nice, clean and accommodated all of my needs. The lobby is very large and bright with nice seating. The conference rooms are nice but some were a little odd shaped for the needs of the event I was attending. The food was lack-luster. Nothing special but they did put out lot's of snacks.

The location is great. Close to lot's of shops, restaurants and the water front. Nice exercise room and pool.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
ian m, Director of Food and Beverage at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

Hi Sarah C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Holiday Inn By The Bay. I see you were here attending a conference, which is great, we are a destination for many conferences through out the year. I have noted your feedback regarding the food and meeting space. I would love to hear any further feedback you may have directly. Please feel free to email or call me should you wish to provide further feedback. I can assure you that feedback assist us in maintaining a great experience for all guests.

Respectfully,
Ian Miller
imiller@innbythebay.com
Director of Food and Beverage.
207-775-2311 x2154

Write a ReviewReviews (1,151)

Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed for just one night at this hotel in a king room with view over the bay. We arrived just in time to catch the beautiful sunset from the room. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and spacious and well equipped. We had a glorious sleep as the bed and pillows were the most comfortable ever and I wish I could have brought it home! The only downside was the breakfast experience as there was not enough staff. The food and selection was good but the waitress was asked for stirrers for our tea by us which were not delivered and the neighbouring couple asked for ketchup which again was forgotten and had to be fetched from the kitchen by them. Apart from that we had a pleasant stay and the hotel was in a good location.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
ian m, Director Of Food and Beverage at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

Hello Rachflower,

We would like to thank you for your recent patronage and time to submit a review based on your recent stay. We are sorry to see that you experience in the restaurant was not as should have been. We have addressed these issues and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We hope that you with give our hotel another visit the next time you are in the area.

Regards,

Ian Miller
imiller@innbythebay.com
Director of Food and Beverage

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights. Hotel in a great location, walking distance to good restaurants, bars etc.
Rooms were a good size and clean. We had a bay view room.. Reception staff very helpful despite dealing with issues from the storm the night before

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

I have a medical condition requiring me too take several hot soaking baths a day. I was shocked to note that while the bathroom was very sanitary in appearance, along the silicone caulking in the crevices of the tub, between it and it's wall, black mold was growing. I took photos and hope you can see what I mean. This is just one corner of my tub area. I counted five spots of flourishing mold. I am highly allergic to black mold of any kind. I wondered if perhaps the mold was already there and someone had resealed the silicone caulking over it, being a bit lazy and not removing the mold first. So I used a toothpick to scratch at it in all the places I saw it. It easily scraped away. Keeping in mind, these are black spots on a white background, in a tub which is supposed to be cleaned daily, these had to have been growing in that tub for weeks maybe even months!

I noted two other issues on my floor, in the vending/ice machine room. 1. The ice machine never had ice in the four days I was at the hotel. 2. Also, a single $2 bottle of soda would not roll out into the vending machine tray to be accessed. I went through this 3 times, all three times with correct change. One night, being desperate for a soda, I put in another $2. I had already put in the first $2 with no results. Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done but I was actually rewarded when the machine gave me both of the sodas I had paid for! I do not know if it was this one particular flavor of soda or if every flavor had this issue in that machine.

Every employee was fantastic except for the night time front desk person named Phyllis. I had talked to her twice by phone and at least four times in person. Only once out of those six times was she even a little courteous. She had no issues interrupting me if she felt she could finish my sentences. She would give the hotel information so quickly to each guest checking in we actually would look at each other in awe. She also would get very testy if we did not receive the information correctly the first time and she had to repeat anything. I learned quickly to be extra cautious around her and always be as nice as I could or I would possibly face her negative mood while I was trying to enjoy my first trip I had so looked forward to in Portland Maine.

I was in room 225 on the second floor if anyone managing the hotel would like to look into these issues.

Everything else? Location? The staff? The restaurant and bar area? And the venue I attended there? I honestly would have given this hotel a 5-star rating had it not been for the many spots of black mold, Phyllis, the ice machine and the vending machines. Granted, I could have contacted someone at the front desk at any time about any of these concerns. I knew this. But just my luck, the only available time I ever had was when Phyllis was at the front desk. And having already had her get angry at me for no reason, I was certainly not going to voice these problems with her.

Even after all of these issues, if I had the opportunity I would probably stay at this accommodation again. But next time I would make my complaints known. I definitely would not talk to Phyllis however.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
HIBAYPortland, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Greetings Cattaps,

I'm sorry to read that you did not experience the high level of hospitality that we expect for each stay. We pride ourselves on our ability to meet guests' needs as they arise, and it is regretful that we were not able to exhibit that for you.

We would love to hear from you directly at your convenience. Please call 207-775-2311 to speak with our Assistant General Manager about your stay. Thank you!

Reviewed 1 November 2017

Checked in by very friendly staff at front desk, I was given a large room on high floor with a bay view. Comfortable bed, clean room, with refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. Good location near center of town, and just a short walk to most places of interest. One great service provided by the hotel is a shuttle pick up on request from anywhere on the peninsula. Very helpful, and saved me from what would have been a very wet walk back in pouring down rain storm!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo