“Really Good Authentic Chinese Food”

Golden Lotus Restaurant
Ranked #320 of 640 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed 2 March 2017

Golden Lotus serves really good traditional Chinese cuisine. I have been there several times in the past few weeks because it was recommended to me by a Chinese friend. I find the Won Ton Soup to be delicious, the pork Lo Mein outstanding, the green beans fantastic and the chicken feet interesting. I had a dish with jelly fish that was great. The soup dumplings and shumai dumplings are terrific. All in all a very, very good restaurant worth a visit. The scorpion bowl is a pretty good drink too!

Reviewed 28 December 2016

The service was fine, the selection seemed interesting, but food-wise only the hot and sour soup was commendable, and we were a table of four with diverse selections. The serving size is generous; two can easily share one entree with appetizers.

Reviewed 23 October 2016

Our Sunday take-out order consisted of one hot & sour soup, one order of steamed duck buns (2 for one order), and beef lo mein. Everything was great! We had never tried the buns and found them delicious. The soup had some veggies in it but was not overwhelmed by them, giving it a really terrific taste. The beef lo mein was plentiful and there were 2 dumplings included w/it. Dumplings, beef, noodles were all wonderful. Next time we may order two of the duck buns...really worthwhile. And we plan to try other dishes from this menu. The woman taking the order was helpful and very pleasant, pointing out luncheon specials.

Reviewed 13 October 2016

A friend and I came here during First Friday Art Walk. Whereby most restaurants along the main drag are filled and you cannot get in, this place had no wait. I don't know if that is indicative of anything, yet now having been three times I can say that the food and experience is overall about average.

We sat by a nice table alongside the front window for people-watching. While there were other patrons eating, the restaurant was not busy. Service was slow. We never learned the name of our server, though we had had her in prior visits. She was pleasant but there were clearly language barriers. My friend had to keep reminding me of this when answers to my questions were met with quizzical looks and inadequate responses. We were brought iced waters to drink, and were given utensils when we requested them (vs. using the chopsticks already placed on the table).

We both ordered the honey walnut shrimp appetizer, which were beautifully presented, and came with a substantial 8 medium-sized shrimp each. It was very good. My friend then ordered the spring rolls with dipping sauce, two to the order.... just enough for her and she enjoyed them. I had the kale chow fun (wide egg noodles in a brown sauce with onion, scallion and pea shoots), with one star of spice, though it actually was less spicy than I wanted. I took most of it home for leftovers, simply because the portion was huge and I was stuffed. I did not enjoy the kale. It was undercooked and hard to chew and digest, and I wound-up picking it out from the noodles when I got home and put it in the composting.

Dinner was affordable at $40.00 including tax & tip. We had split the tab on two checks, but they gave us each the incorrect tab. Therefore they had to void them and reassign the tabs to the correct guest, which was done quickly and with apology. I like this restaurant well-enough to return, but it would not be my first choice.

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

Everything we ordered was great and they give you a lot of it! We couldn't eat it all so we took the rest home for lunch the next day. Good value overall.