1,288 results
All reviewsrooftop barheavenly bedtop floorfloor loungeold portvalet parkingbeautiful hotelarts districtshuttle servicefree shuttleroom keycorner roomcongress streetguest roomsnice stayvalet staffcoffee maker
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

A huge thanks to Michelle D, a lovely staff member who recommended the best breakfast spot, Holy Donuts, and a ferry trip to Peak Island. My friend and I did a bike rental and toured the island. Our visit to Portland would not have been as wonderful if not for Michelle D

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2017

This was my first time staying at the Westin, but it won't be my last. We were upgraded to a suite and they were able to extend our reservation due to the bad weather. The bed was comfortable, the robes were soft and we had plenty of space to relax in. The location was close to a number of tasty restaurants, the water and the Saturday farmer's market. All in it was a fabulous stay.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

I am late writing this review. We stayed two nights for a weekend in mid-late September. The cons: I had requested connecting rooms and called twice to confirm, only to find that, at check-in, that was not available. We had to accept rooms only on the same floor. For that matter, our rooms were not ready at 2pm (despite my request for early check-in) nor at 3pm which is supposed to be check-in time. Similarly, when I booked the reso, and also on the confirmation, I was promised a 3pm checkout on Sunday, only to be told that was only “if avail”. After I protested, late checkout was honored. Also, I would not recommend paying up for the “water view”. It is a distant view and not worth the additional $$.
The pros: This is truly a pet friendly hotel. The entire staff was great and went out of their way to be welcoming to us and our dog. Concierge Gail Rice is exceptional. Great restaurant recommendations and incredibly helpful with pet sitting suggestions. Also need to give a shout out to the management team who went far and above duty to help us. I wish I could recall the Assistant Manager’s name as he was terrific.
The location is good. Walking distance to many downtown and waterfront locales. There is a park adjacent to the hotel which is perfect for dogs. We ate in the hotel restaurant for a dinner and a breakfast. Food and service were very good.
On balance. I recommend this hotel and look forward to a return visit.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank bostonbetty2018
Reviewed 6 November 2017

On October 25th, I booked the Westin through Orbitz and requested a King bed. We paid right then through Orbitz and received confirmation that our room was booked. We traveled up to Portland from Southeast CT for this past weekend. Unbeknownst to me, my boyfriend was to propose to me on Saturday, November 4th and we were going to stay here to celebrate. We arrive and check in. We walk into the room and it's two doubles, NOT the king that we paid the premium for. We go back to the concierge (who was actually very sweet) and they had no King rooms available, although we paid for it. The manager, Seamus, came out and offered us a few drink vouchers for our trouble and that some rooms were affected from a recent storm. This was never mentioned to us prior to our trip. This put a huge damper on what was supposed to be the best day of our lives, and there was nothing but them throwing us $20 in drink vouchers! The room we were given was more than HALF of what we paid for for the King bed and absolutely NO MENTION was given to that fact. We were beyond upset and to top it off were told that we might not even be able to get refunded since we went through a 3rd party. I got on the phone directly with Orbitz who was amazing and got us our refund. Thank god we had a family member in the area that was able to accommodate us for the night. Terrible, terrible customer service. Next time contact your guests and let them know if their room isn't available. We traveled 3-1/2 hours to get here and was going to spend $350 for a celebratory night here. Never again.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Jeffery B, General Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear Jaclyn6788,

I was very disappointed to read of your experience - I am very sorry that your reservation experience resulted in this situation. Unfortunately, when booking through some of the third party channels, room types are sold as "run of house" meaning that they are assigned to whatever room type the hotel has available. While we value our relationships with the online travel agencies, our contracts due limit how and what we can do on our end. I'm very sorry that the service you received is not in keeping with our standards and hope that this experience does not prevent us from another opportunity to serve.

Warm regards,

Jeffery Burrell

Reviewed 6 November 2017

After a major storm event knocked out power for days, a warm room with a shower and Internet was a welcome retreat. Attractive off-season rates sealed the deal.

As a local, I don't get to visit the downtown hotels. So, I thought, why not?

The hotel building is about a century old. When built in 1927, it was the largest hotel in New England. During its time, Its been The Eastland Motor Lodge, Sheraton, Sonesta, Raddison, and Eastland Park. It was purchased by Westin four years ago, closed for eighteen months, gutted and renovated from bottom to top.

Located in central downtown Portland, within the Arts district, right next door to the State Theater, it's within 5-10 minutes walking distance to the Old Port, the waterfront and, all of the tourists draws of downtown Portland, Maine. Plenty (if not most) of Portland's restaurants and shops are within walking distance. Location couldn't be much better for those visiting Portland. Guest Shuttle available to take you to downtown locations. (You can Uber anywhere downtown for less than $10. Don't waste money on cabs) PWM airport is roughly ten minutes. The bus and train station is about five. The two main hospitals, three.

I was in room 631. It was a single King (corner room) with surrounding wall windows on two sides. Room and bathroom were spacious, modern, very clean and on par with typical Westin standards. Unfortunately, and probably my only complaint, the mattress wasn't like the soft mattresses that I've sunken into at other Westins! It was the very firm type. Flat as a board. The kind old people with a bad back need. A little too hard for my sleeping comfort.

The indoor rooftop bar, 'Top of the East' has the the best unobstructed 360 degree view of downtown that you'll find. It's a secret that some locals don't even know about. On a good day, you can see all the way to Mt. Washington. Or watch the coming and goings of the harbor, as you can see all the way out to sea.

Hotel is secure. A key card is needed to access the elevators. Not sure if you need a card to access the bar, but it's open to the public.

Parking is $40 per day in the garage. However, street-side parking can usually be found by those willing to drive around the surrounding square grid of residential streets within four or five blocks and walk back. Would advise caution when parking and walking back on these dark residential side streets late at night. Portland isn't a dangerous place by any means, but the surrounding residential side-streets of this area of downtown should probably be avoided late at night by visitors. Especially those wearing nice clothes or driving expensive cars. During the day or evening hours, it's unlikely you'll be hassled in anyway. (Think homeless and junkies bothering you, not so much getting robbed or attacked)

I probably won't need to stay again, but if I were visiting Portland on business or pleasure, this would be a top choice for me.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo