“perfect hotel but....”

The Westin Portland Harborview
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 9 November 2017

Exterior as well as interior were very trendy and fancy. Service was just perfect. Valet parking is required but the service was to the point and as long as you request 5 to 10 mins prior to departure, no wait time is necessary. Location was not as bad if you don't mind walking around Portland. The only downside to this wonderful hotel was the shower system. I ended up flooding the entire bathroom floor as their shower curtain really had not barrier. Drain, located right in the middle of the bathroom, was not really doing its job as it was placed slightly higher than the floor. Bring your flipflops to use in the bathroom.

Room Tip: best views
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,101)

Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

A huge thanks to Michelle D, a lovely staff member who recommended the best breakfast spot, Holy Donuts, and a ferry trip to Peak Island. My friend and I did a bike rental and toured the island. Our visit to Portland would not have been as wonderful if not for Michelle D

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2017

This was my first time staying at the Westin, but it won't be my last. We were upgraded to a suite and they were able to extend our reservation due to the bad weather. The bed was comfortable, the robes were soft and we had plenty of space to relax in. The location was close to a number of tasty restaurants, the water and the Saturday farmer's market. All in it was a fabulous stay.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

I am late writing this review. We stayed two nights for a weekend in mid-late September. The cons: I had requested connecting rooms and called twice to confirm, only to find that, at check-in, that was not available. We had to accept rooms only on the same floor. For that matter, our rooms were not ready at 2pm (despite my request for early check-in) nor at 3pm which is supposed to be check-in time. Similarly, when I booked the reso, and also on the confirmation, I was promised a 3pm checkout on Sunday, only to be told that was only “if avail”. After I protested, late checkout was honored. Also, I would not recommend paying up for the “water view”. It is a distant view and not worth the additional $$.
The pros: This is truly a pet friendly hotel. The entire staff was great and went out of their way to be welcoming to us and our dog. Concierge Gail Rice is exceptional. Great restaurant recommendations and incredibly helpful with pet sitting suggestions. Also need to give a shout out to the management team who went far and above duty to help us. I wish I could recall the Assistant Manager’s name as he was terrific.
The location is good. Walking distance to many downtown and waterfront locales. There is a park adjacent to the hotel which is perfect for dogs. We ate in the hotel restaurant for a dinner and a breakfast. Food and service were very good.
On balance. I recommend this hotel and look forward to a return visit.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2017

On October 25th, I booked the Westin through Orbitz and requested a King bed. We paid right then through Orbitz and received confirmation that our room was booked. We traveled up to Portland from Southeast CT for this past weekend. Unbeknownst to me, my boyfriend was to propose to me on Saturday, November 4th and we were going to stay here to celebrate. We arrive and check in. We walk into the room and it's two doubles, NOT the king that we paid the premium for. We go back to the concierge (who was actually very sweet) and they had no King rooms available, although we paid for it. The manager, Seamus, came out and offered us a few drink vouchers for our trouble and that some rooms were affected from a recent storm. This was never mentioned to us prior to our trip. This put a huge damper on what was supposed to be the best day of our lives, and there was nothing but them throwing us $20 in drink vouchers! The room we were given was more than HALF of what we paid for for the King bed and absolutely NO MENTION was given to that fact. We were beyond upset and to top it off were told that we might not even be able to get refunded since we went through a 3rd party. I got on the phone directly with Orbitz who was amazing and got us our refund. Thank god we had a family member in the area that was able to accommodate us for the night. Terrible, terrible customer service. Next time contact your guests and let them know if their room isn't available. We traveled 3-1/2 hours to get here and was going to spend $350 for a celebratory night here. Never again.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Jeffery B, General Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear Jaclyn6788,

I was very disappointed to read of your experience - I am very sorry that your reservation experience resulted in this situation. Unfortunately, when booking through some of the third party channels, room types are sold as "run of house" meaning that they are assigned to whatever room type the hotel has available. While we value our relationships with the online travel agencies, our contracts due limit how and what we can do on our end. I'm very sorry that the service you received is not in keeping with our standards and hope that this experience does not prevent us from another opportunity to serve.

Warm regards,