“Great Menu and Excellent Food!”
Review of Boda

Boda
Ranked #17 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 September 2018

We like everything we ordered, including the specials and the drinks. And the value was terrific. The only issue we had - immediate service. For some reason, we were seated but the waiter didn't greet us for about 5 minutes. They seemed confused. Tip - when a customer sits, greet them as soon as possible. Don't let them sit there..completely ignored for 5 minutes.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

We went to Boda for a late-night dinner (after 10 PM), selecting the restaurant because of the variety of options, specifically vegetarian and vegan options. We put our names on the list and waited upwards of 40 minutes before our table was called. Our server, Max, wasted no time informing us that a number of the dishes were not vegetarian because of the fish sauce or oyster sauce used in their preparation, nor was it possible to make these dishes without the sauces, and didn’t we know they have a sister restaurant that’s all vegetarian? He claimed that Boda had limited vegetarian options because the owners did not want to cannibalise sales. This even though the Green Elephant had been closed for two hours.

As the others continued ordering, it came out that the alternative to the oyster sauce for one of the dishes he said could be made wholly vegan was a mushroom sauce, but I’m allergic to mushrooms, so I asked if it could be made with neither sauce. It couldn’t. Max was so cavalier in his dismissal of our requests to make the menu accommodating to a vegetarian with mushroom allergies - he did not suggest any alternatives other than a tofu skewer, which is hardly a meal. I ended up eating 1.5 Thai sticky rice balls...aka rice with garlic and scallions, because apparently the “side of vegetables” is actually a side of bok choy, and when I asked if they could add some vegetables to that, he didn’t even ask the kitchen or even PRETEND to ask the kitchen, he just dismissed it out of hand. Also, don’t bill it as a side of “vegetables” and charge $6 for it when it’s really ONE LEAFY GREEN. The apple salad my spouse ordered took them over a half hour to bring out, and was mostly pieces of Granny Smith apple and tossed with two shrimps served on a piece of lettuce. There were plenty of vegetables in the Kee Mao noodles ordered by others at the table, so would it have killed them to steam a few of those for me? We had to ask Max several times to bring dishes out (the salad came out 15 minutes after everything else). Ultimately, I walked out disappointed and also hungrier than when I walked in.

1  Thank ModernMoonlight
Reviewed 28 August 2018

My sister and I had dinner here before going to see a concert at the State Theatre. The food was amazing - a slightly different approach to the usual thai. The service was friendly and efficient. The place was buzzing and lively. It was a great choice and I would return again if in the area.

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

We stopped at Boda for dinner and drinks after a long day of shopping. Our server Jasmine made us feel welcome from the moment we sat down and always made certain we had everything we needed. Dinner was amazing, spicey sauces, fresh ingredients and healthy portions. We look forward to returning to Boda very soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

I really wanted to like this restaurant. Perfect location, nice simple decor, but the food was nothing special. Service was excellent. Biggest negative for me was the incredible ambient noise that made conversation impossible.