“Found Our New Sushi Place!”
Review of Restaurant Sapporo

Restaurant Sapporo
Ranked #108 of 640 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 February 2017

We have walked by here so many times but it was the reviews on TripAdvisor that got us in for lunch one day. We each had the California roll then a different specialty roll. I was a little underwhelmed by the California roll, perhaps expecting too much after the reviews, but I found it rather bland. I also had the roll which is a combination of spicy tuna and shrimp tempura and it was delicious. I think it was Red Dragon. My husband had the specialty salmon roll and was also very happy. We received one complimentary cup of miso soup. Our server was knowledgeable and good.

The menu is varied and interesting and there are definitely other things to try. Prices are the same for lunch or dinner. We are big fans of the cucumber and avocado roll at Pai Men Miyake so we will need to try a comparison. Sapporo is certainly worth a return visit and more exploration of their menu.

Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

I visited January 5th 2017 with a friend. We arrived in time to pick a few items from their weekday specials menu which ran until 7 p.m. From that menu we chose edamame, spicy tuna, and some sake. The edamame was great, and better than any I have had, with just the right amount of seasoning and very fresh. The crunchy spicy Tuna was mouthwatering, with the right amount of rice so as to not overpower, which is often times the case at other places I've visited. The cold sake was served in a bottle on ice.
Additionally I enjoyed tasty salmon and yellowtail sushi, and my friend raved about her rainbow roll. Everything was very fresh. Our server was great, and my friend and I spent a good deal of time catching up and were never rushed. This was not my first visit to this establishment and I was happy to find them to be consistently good. My recommendation is to go during the week before 7 p.m. and snag one of the parking spaces reserved for Sapporo (in the lot to the left of the restaurant as you're facing the water) and try something new from their weekday specials menu.

1  Thank BirdieMe
Reviewed 30 December 2016

As always, an impressive Japanese restaurant. The waitstaff are very friendly. The food is always fresh, hot or cold depending on the dish. I could eat here everyday, if I lived in Portland.

1  Thank Anna M
Reviewed 6 November 2016

It's a bit hard to rate this place, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. First, it was pretty clear that our waitress had no real idea about what Japanese food is and that she was there because she was offered the job. I get that, but you should learn a thing or two about what you sell. I had the Pork Katsu-don. It wasn't quite what I expected, but it seems that it is correct in at least some way. The only thing I really have to complain about is that it had none of the sauce that I would have expected, though the other toppings gave plenty of flavor to the dish.

Other than that, they didn't give me the miso soup that I was supposed to get with it, but I didn't really want it anyway. It seems that Japanese food is popular around here, but I imagine this must be one of the more decent choices in the area.

Reviewed 12 October 2016

It was a good mix of seafood and other offerings. I had the chicken katsu. I've had it in other places and the dipping sauce is overly salty. This was good. We had chicken skewers as an appetizer and they were excellent as well. The restaurant is a BYO, I think.

Good anniversary dinner on a Saturday night.