“Fantastic -clean, polite, delicious”

DiMillo's on the Water
Ranked #54 of 632 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$9 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant actually floats, and because it is surrounded by water, every table offers spectacular views of Portland Harbor. Our outside decks are great spots to see the sights while enjoying a meal or cocktail. Maine lobster is what we do here and we do it better than anyone.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We ate here for lunch on a whim based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. We had no complaints at all. The lobster macaroni and cheese was unbelievable. Get the smaller portion because its really rich. The lobster rolls and fried clams were decent. The cheddar polenta was deliciously cheesy and smooth. I recommend the polenta as a side instead of fries. It was like a bowl of New England grits (for all us southern folks). My son loved the kids cheeseburger for those not into seafood. We had the chocolate creme brûlée for dessert and loved it also.

The view and customer service were top notch as well. It wasn’t the cheapest but for a vacation spot it was well worth it. Lunch for 4 (with dessert and appetizer, no drinks) was $125 without tip. I’d do it again though.

We drove up and left in the same day but I would go back to the town to spend a week. Portland is like a movie set. The people were polite and the place was extremely clean.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,757)

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

My family (husband and two young teen boys) were visiting from Michigan, and we were looking forward to a lobster dinner on our last night in Portland. After reading tons of reviews, I settled on DiMillo’s.

There was no wait (Monday night) which was nice. The staff seemed bored and not very welcoming, but I wasn’t upset by it at all. Our server was very slow to come to our table, and wasn’t very attentive the entire meal. She did, however, take the time to explain how to break apart lobster (it was our first time eating it), which was nice. I wasn’t too thrilled that she carded my husband for his drink but didn’t card me! Haha, I’m 36 and my husband is 37.

I ordered the seafood scampi and the rest of the family ordered lobster. The scampi was disappointing—I definitely would not recommend it. It didn’t have much flavor at all, and needed salt. The scallops in the scampi were good, but the shrimp and lobster were over cooked.

My family enjoyed trying lobster for the first time, but all agreed it was overrated. Certainly not worth $230!

One thing that I really appreciated was that the owner came to our table and chatted with us for a couple of minutes. He was very kind.

Overall, I gave DiMillo’s two stars because of the subpar service, aloof staff, and just so-so food. I was hoping to rave about it, but we wouldn’t go there again.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed an Easter lunch today with my family at DeMillo's on the Water in South Portland. The restaurant is on an old repurposed ship accessible from its own private parking lot (very much appreciated. BTW, be sure to get your parking slip validated on the way out to park for FREE!). The entrance ramp and hallways are very handicap accessible and easily accommodate wheelchairs and walkers. The restaurant is frequently full, so I recommend making reservations ahead of time. I used OpenTable for my reservations quite successfully.

I started my dining experience with a cup of the best clam chowder I ever had, very thick and creamy and flavorful with just the right amount and size of clams. For my entree, I had a broiled seafood medley with haddock, shrimp, and scallops that was excellent. My lady friend had baked salmon over risotto that was perfectly prepared. For dessert I had the blueberry crumble with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The blueberry crumble was warmed just enough and the vanilla ice cream was real french vanilla not cheap stuff.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

DiMillo’s is run by a wonderful family that really cares not only about the food that they serve but about their patronage. It’s a great place to have lunch or dinner right on Portland Harbor or enjoy drinks on the top of the boat on a warm summer evening.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

It’s all about the parking. WHILE YOU ARE IN THE RESTAURANT ONLY. Lots of signs making sure you know this. Making sure you have your parking ticket. Reminding you. The food was fine, the prices on the steep side at lunch, but you’re paying for supposed atmosphere. Ours was colored primarily by the loud mouth of what sounded like very modest accomplishment trying to impress his female companion. Not much the restaurant can do about that. I think it would be quieter in the dining room than the bar. The scallops were very good. The salmon was substantial and nicely grilled. So, decent food.....just be aware of what you’re paying for.

1  Thank travveller95