“Great Fun, Great Deal”

51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,671 helpful votes
“Great Fun, Great Deal”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We just discovered this new venture which began operating in Portland this summer and were eager to check it out; we’re always on the lookout for new activities that our visitors might enjoy.

Since I am a klutz and have some balance issues, I felt a bit intimidated and skittish when I walked in the door of the Segway office, wondering if I’d be able to get the hang of operating a Segway. The office staff/guides did a great job of allaying my fears. We had plenty of time to practice all the moves in the large, carpeted office area before venturing out onto the sidewalk for our waterfront tour. It was far easier to get the hang of than I ever dreamed.

And it was absolutely exhilarating to tool along the beautiful Portland waterfront; the path leading to the Eastern Promenade is a perfect place to try out your Segway wings – it’s wide, has few pedestrians, and is very scenic. Dave was our guide, and while he was very safety-conscious, he also had a relaxed, fun personality which made the experience even more enjoyable. We live in the Portland area, but even we learned some things about the town that we were unaware of; visitors should find the commentary especially enlightening.

This was quite a bargain, too – I felt I had gotten my money’s worth just after my practice session in the office. Then to add a 30 minute excursion out into the “real world” – what a fun, fabulous deal.

The company’s website is quite informative and the online booking process is very user-friendly. Do yourself a favor – Portland resident or visitor – and head there and book your trip today.

17 Thank VOYJEAN

Portland, Maine
“Maybe it was just the group and the guide”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

The folks were nice. The equipment was in great shape. Helmets and headsets were clean. The segways were all in working order and there were no problems. The views were spectacular and the segways were fun. The tour was seriously lacking. Our guide talked more about the tricks and games the guides have done than any of the serious historical features that the Old Port contains. We also had a couple of nervous riders in our group...which, it seems the guide focused on and it kept the pace painfully slow. These things are governed at 8mph...we barely got them up to 2...maybe 3...maybe. There was a bit of free play time that was fun and we tested the 8 mph. (which in my opinion is too fast - I'm a 45 yr old female... not an 18 yr old, who would have thought 8mph was still too slow) Over all, it was a nice time. The Segways were definitely fun and it was a beautiful day. However, I do think it could have been better with more history and slower folks are encouraged to ride to the back of the group.

Oxford, Massachusetts
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great tour. Worth every penny”
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My wife and I had a great tour with Bridget. She was a great guide. The tour took us all over the city in an hour. We saw a lot more then we ever could have just walking around, went to places that bus tours can't take you and got to speed around on segways. This is a must do.

2 Thank igotasweetride
San Diego
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“fun and easy -- a great way to see the Eastern Promenade”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

It's hard to look cool on these things but it is fun and only takes about 10 mins to get the hang of it. For a sunny day, this is the best way to see the sights of the Portland, Maine waterfront. Compared to other cities, Segway Tours of Portland is very inexpensive (in San Diego, tours are 4 times as much!) Also, Portland, ME is a sleepier place so there are fewer cars, tourists, and hazards.
We went for a half-hour tour and it was great. The staff made it easy to learn and were serious about safety yet enthusiastic about the fun. Excellent activity for teens 14 and up with parents or even spry grandparents. This is not an athletic sort of a thing - it is much easier than bike riding around a new city.

Visited August 2011