“Best Sushi/Japanese in Maine”
Review of Miyake

Miyake
Ranked #38 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$0 - US$50
Cuisines: Japanese, Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2018

Lovely, spacious room with small sushi bar. Friendly, well informed staff. Now to the exceptionable food. Most tables order chef's omakase (several chef selected courses), or chef's moriawase (sushi or sashimi selection). We chose to order a la carte, and so glad we did. I know my fish, so 5 orders sashimi and 3 pieces sushi, all divine. Moving on to hot dishes, my husband loved the crab cake, and I loved the sea urchin with melted mascarpone cheese. Last course was lobster roll (maki). Better than any regular lobster and bun.

2  Thank Lori L

Reviewed 28 May 2018

It's difficult to reconcile our experience with all of the glowing reviews of Miyake. It was a Sunday night, and the kitchen may have been on auto pilot after a busy weekend. I've eaten at Hatsuhana in New York and many fine sushi places in Japan, and this meal was nowhere close to the quality anticipated. The miso soup was...SWEET. The sashimi plate looked amateurishly sliced, though the quality was fine. The duck breast was dry and forgettable.The unagi roll was flavorless. The pork belly was topped with a sad, pallid fried oyster. Overall, it was a let-down. In a city as food focused as Portland, where we had fantastic meals at Little Giant, Fore Street and Central Provisions, our night at Miyake was not stellar.

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

I read before I arrived in Portland that Miyake was one of the 10 best Sushi/Sashimi restaurants in the US. Yes, it is. Amazing. Sublime. Elegant. Amazing. We did the Chefs tasting course with sake flights. The fish was impeccable. The presentation was artistic. Perfect.

1  Thank stevesottl
Reviewed 17 May 2018

I was surprised and wowed by how fresh the fish was and how decadent and creative the dishes were. I am still dreaming of this meal and pining for my next trip to Portland to go back. Some of the best sushi/sashimi I've had worldwide.

1  Thank BeforeSunrise
Reviewed 12 April 2018

Great restaurant, several people we met recommended it. It was great, I had the tasting menu and my husband had the chefs selection. We had a great time, but left still feeling hungry!

1  Thank agavarny