All reviews beautiful view of the river almond milk hot breakfast walking distance the breakfast area rooms are clean sliding door complimentary wine and cheese first floor bottled water keurig coffee maker free breakfast is up to date will stay there again bagels great place to stay nice pool
Reviewed 2 July 2017

I come and stay at this Inn every year when we visit our daughter and family. The rooms are clean, has many amenities that other well known motels do not have. Their
breakfast is good many, choices. I always request a room with a view of the river.
Plenty of parking close to the entrance. Most of all very friendly and helpful staff.
Kerri helped this Little Old Lady with my carry-on. Thank You

Room tip: Best view, very quiet, clean rooms, many extra amenities.
1  Thank Lidia R
Reviewed 1 July 2017

This place can't be beat! I haven't even had the luxury of enjoying their property in the summer to take advantage of their lovely pool, but winter isn't so bad either. I have stayed here multiple times and love that THEY OFFER A MILITARY DISCOUNT - THANK YOU!!!! They are located so close to the University of Maine and make the drive to see our child so effortless. The hotel is wonderful, rooms are nicely decorated, quiet, clean, very spacious and amply stocked (if you want it) and the beds are so very comfortable.

From arrival (where the front desk staff recognize me) to check out, everything is wonderful when I stay here. The only reason I've stayed elsewhere is because the Inn if full! This is within walking distance to all the local eateries too. Nothing to complain about here - Oh, they even have a continental breakfast, nothing to write home about, but you can get something in your belly if you want to.

Date of stay: April 2017
Reviewed 27 June 2017

The room is comfortable and clean. The breakfast is good. The staff was courteous and helpful. The location is easy. If that is what you want, then this is the place for you. Next time I come to Orono I will stay here again for sure.

Room tip: Face the river
Reviewed 25 June 2017

Stayed while visiting my daughter. Had a beautiful view of the river and the staff was wonderful and friendly. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. They do allow dogs in some rooms. Stayed in one the last time and the room was also very clean. Will stay here again for sure!

Reviewed 14 June 2017

I reserved a block of 20 rooms for my daughter's wedding last month at the University Inn Academic Suites at Orono-- and all our many friends and family stayed at this hotel. I could have booked at one of the chain hotels in Bangor- but I decided I would try this "mom-and-pop" owned hotel. I have a friend that knows the owner and said we wouldn't be disappointed- they were wrong. The hotel actually is very well-appointed and the rooms were quite lovely. The staff was very pleasant- it's the issues that happened after check-out that pretty much ruined the entire stay for my daughter and new son-in-law. While my daughter was checking out-- she swiped the credit card she was using which is mine-- and their POS system timed out. They told my daughter to swipe her credit card a second time- assuring her that the original charge did not go through and she would not be double-charged. Well guess what happened? The credit card WAS charged twice- and this was brought to the attention of the manager the very next morning when it showed up on my account. She put through a credit- but by the end of that week my credit card company confirmed to me that no credit from the hotel was pending. Even though it may take a week or longer for a credit to show on your account- the minute it's put through by the business, it immediately shows on the bank's end. My credit card company stated no credit had been put through by the hotel. (Apparently the hotel had several issues with their new POS system) My daughter spent time on her honeymoon being on the phone with the hotel and also being on the phone with the credit card company twice-- and then being on the phone with me several times because it wasn't getting resolved. Not only did this upset my daughter and son-in-law while they were on their honeymoon- but it held up funds on the credit card I gave them to use as a gift. I'm sure if the hotel had to wait for money because the customer made an error- they'd be pretty darn upset. I myself had to spend my own time on the phone twice with the hotel speaking to both the manager-,and then their auditor- who we're both profusely apologetic. Both explained their new POS system that had a "few glitches" and said it was completely their error that my credit card was double charged. Carrie told me she would see if she could get the owner Tracy to approve a weekend stay for my daughter and son-in-law to compensate them for all the aggravation they had on their honeymoon that was caused by the hotel's error. Fast forward another week-.and now I am on my own vacation finally get a callback from the owner who blamed the error on my daughter-
saying my daughter was too busy talking to another guest after she swiped her credit card- and their system timed out because my daughter didn't pull the credit card out quick enough. That is the most shameful excuse I have ever heard. It is not a customer's responsibility to monitor the hotel's credit card system. An error made by the hotel should never be blamed on a guest. That's the fastest way to lose a customer. Long story short- the owner Tracy said that my daughter and son-in-law's aggravation (along with mine) were not worthy of even a one night comped room- but she would kindly give my kids a discount on a future stay. Future stay? I thought she must be kidding. There will be No future stays at this hotel by any of my family or friends. Most of our friends and family are not from Maine- and we have guests flying in all the time-- and the owner just lost what could've been a boatload of new business. Something like this never would have happened with a brand like Marriott- and believe me I know that first hand because I have worked in the hotel and hospitality industry for years. The owner of this hotel handled the situation poorly and proved that her customer service ends as soon as a guest checks out. Apparently comping one room for a one night stay is worth more to the owner than getting a bad review. I wonder how many other customers have been double-charged by them and not caught the mistake. For the record-- because of my position in the hospitality field-- I receive free stays (as do my family & friends) at over 5,000 brand hotels worldwide anytime I wish-- so I don't "need" a free room at their hotel-- and neither do my kids. I was giving this small local purveyor some business-- and opportunity to make things right and provide a better experience.

Room tip: Make sure you check your receipt for duplicate charges
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
University Inn A, Owner at University Inn Academic Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2017

As the guest stated, she was double charged in error. It was brought to our attention on Sunday morning, and a credit was processed on Tuesday as Monday was Memorial day, prior to the one and only call we received from her daughter. We provided documentation to the guest as it took several days to post on her credit card statement. She made threats to slander us if we didn't give her daughter a complimentary weekend which we thought was excessive given the circumstances. We are a family run business and operate with integrity, fairness and kindness. We acted swiftly, corrected the mistake, apologized and offered a discount.