Mariner Resort(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$250
US$239
Terrace by the Sea(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$312
Pink Blossoms Resort (Family Suites)(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$326
US$261
The Admiral's Inn(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$228
Abalonia Inn(Ogunquit)
US$250
Sea Rose Suites(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$354
US$354
Norseman Resort(Ogunquit)
US$697
1,097 results
All reviewssurf pointmarginal wayperkins coveocean viewindoor pooladirondack chairsoff seasonogunquit beachgrounds are beautifulthe main hotelhot tubeasy accessperfect locationshops and restaurantswalking pathpark your carget away
Reviewed 7 August 2015

Me and my family are going to Ogunquit for 25 years. We have over the years tried different formulas (hotels, motels, cabins) and for several years, we have completed our research around Ogunquit and the Anchorage by the Sea remains our best experience.

While reading comments from people who were not satisfied from their stay, obviously we don't have the same expectation.

Our goal

Access to the sea: we want to quietly lay down on comfortable chairs to read and look at the sea. Perfect spot! The beach is only a few minutes walk.

Clean: It's clean everywhere. So many employees do the grooming, not only for the the rooms but everywhere, including a morning run to removed wizen flowers, put all the chairs and umbrella in the standard layout. Nothing to complain about.

Food: Breakfast and lunch were just perfect, we went out for dinner so I cannot comment on this but it must be an very good place to be during the sunset. The construction of the new restaurant is very refined, chairs are comfortable. Has been done with a lot of taste.

Confort:

Service: We want to find friendly behaviour from the employees throughout the resort which is something we find every year. For those who tend to complain, an advice from an old traveller, you will get more success asking for help than complaining, no matter if it's at the hotel, boarding on a plane or in a taxi. People don't like slap in the face, neither do I. People are not perfect neither do I.

Property: Since years, we have been used to see improvements, but wow. The new building is great. It can accommodate more people for dinner in a much more confortable restaurant. This new building gives the owner additional source of revenue and extend the services so they can get more money to continue their great improvement of this great place.

Take out food: We are not a big fan of take-out food for dinner so the fact that the service is not available at night do not bother us at all.

Location: Located between the beach and Perkins Cove. Perfect

Parking: No matter how late we arrive, there was always free spaces for our car.

Wi-fi: repeaters should be installed to increase the strength and coverage.

It is already on our agenda for 2016!

Room Tip: Talk to an agent and tell you what are your expectations
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2015

Another reviewer called it a wannabe luxury hotel and that is spot on. There is no luxury service or experience here. I had better service and amenities at Hampton Inns on the same trip for less than half the price. My "limited ocean view" room on the first floor was really a "great view of the parking lot"! Only once in three days did we get a free lounge chair at either the pool or ocean view area. All the chairs are "taken" by other guests' towels and less than 1/4 were actually occupied. Restaurant stopped serving food before 9:00, I had to leave resort to get something to eat. Front desk said it's not their problem, restaurant is not run by hotel. Only positives are: housekeeping does a great job, friendly and room is cleaned very well. Also grounds are well maintained. Otherwise, save your money and find something else. Rooms are small but nice enough.

6  Thank Richard N
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2015

Dear Richard N,

Thank you for your feedback. We would also like to thank you for giving the Anchorage a try during your trip to Ogunquit.

We apologize you were unhappy with your visit with us. We are a family-run, year-round resort that tries our best to give our guests the best possible experience. It greatly upsets us when we disappoint our guests. Your comfort and happiness is truly our number one concern.

As far as our pool chairs go, they are taken on a first come first serve basis. Guests often take chairs then go in the pool or to the restaurant for a snack. Just because a chair is empty does not necessarily mean the guest has left the property. We do our best at monitoring chairs that have been left empty and reserved for extended periods of time.

We apologize you were given incorrect information by our front desk about our restaurant. The Surf Point 360 is affiliated with the hotel. This is part of the reason why we close at an earlier hour than most restaurants in town. We are trying to keep the noise level down around the property during the later hours of the evening.

Again, we apologize you were not completely satisfied with your stay with us. We do wish you the best on your future travels. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 August 2015 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one week. I would have enjoyed the stay more if it weren't for a few things.
First of all, the so called "ocean view" was more like a "giant restaurant" view. The room we got was more expensive because we wanted an ocean view. Sadly, in this case, we did not get our money's worth.
However, despite the view we were supposed to get, the housekeeping services were excellent. The only issue was our room was always messy because of the small size and how cramped our family of 4 was.
The front desk service was mixed. Some of the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, but some were not as welcoming. We came to your hotel. We paid good money. Where is our good service?
The pool and hot tubs were nice, however even though we got there at opening time, every single chair had been taken. Probably by people that never even showed up.
We did enjoy sitting on the lawn and the easy access to the marginal way was nice. However, if you want direct access to the beach, this is not available. You have to walk down the street to the lazy daisy which then has an entrance to the beach. But even then, the whole trip takes about 10 minutes.
It would be convenient if the hotel had an elevator, even though there are only two floors it would be easier when you have your luggage or small children.
Overall, we had a nice trip, and the hotel did have some nice things about it. We spent many days out in ogunquit, so if you want to be in the middle of everything this is a nice spot.

Stayed: July 2015
6  Thank happycamper2013a

Dear Happycamper23a,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We would also like to thank you for choosing the Anchorage during your trip to Ogunquit. We appreciate your patronage.

We apologize you were unhappy with your room location. We do offer rooms with direct ocean views located in our Starboard building. The location you were in offers limited side ocean views. We would like to thank you for your compliments on our housekeeping. This is a busy time of the year for us and all of our employees are working hard.

Our pool and lawn chairs work on a first come first serve basis. Unfortunately we don't have the room to provides pool chairs for every guest on property. Our pool attendants do their best to aid guests in finding chairs and umbrellas. Guests often reserve their chairs then go in one of our pools or to our restaurant . This is why they may look unattended at times. We do our best to monitor chair saving over extended periods of time .

Again, we greatly appreciate all of the feedback in your review. Your opinion matters to us. We hope we get the chance to provide you with an even better vacation on a future trip to Ogunquit. Enjoy the rest of your summer and take care.

Warm Wishes,

Reviewed 1 August 2015

This was our first time back to Anchorage by the Sea in a couple of years. Prior to that, we had been going there every summer for years. And wow, how much things can change in two years!
Apparently in the last couple of years, hotel management unfortunately decided to take the resort in a different direction. Sadly, at least for us, they decided to “fix” what wasn’t broken.
First, there’s been a complete 360 degree change in family friendly dining. Breakfast and lunch used to have a very relaxed, casual, and family friendly appeal. Tables were set up around the pool and restaurant area where you could sit down and eat lunch purchased at their onsite restaurant take-out. Formal sit down dining was reserved only for dinner. Now all dining is formal. The only tables available now are for sit down/waiter service. During lunchtime they remained largely empty for the three days we were there. If empty tables for lunch turn out to be the “new norm”, hopefully this will be a signal to management that they should again open up these tables for take-out and casual dining at lunch time.
Second: Bar patrons off the street apparently now have equal preference to hotel guests when it comes to parking. While parking has always been a challenge of some sort at this resort in the past, they used to always have a guard in front to make sure that only guests could drive in. However, at the time we checked in which was later in the evening, there was no guard posted, and literally NO parking spots available. And when I say no spots, I mean not only anywhere near our room, but no spots available on the entire property!
When I went back to speak to the gentleman at the front desk about this, rather than assist me in finding a spot, all he gave me was an excuse – and a poor one at that. I was told that the reason parking is now limited is because the hotel decided this year to start up a “21 and older nightclub” on the property and open it to the general public, which apparently also includes parking for anyone off the street going to the nightclub. Are you kidding?
It is incredulous that when they know parking is and always has been at a premium there, that they would actually give people off the street going to their nightclub equal parking preference to hotel patrons who are paying $300 and up a night there for a room!! After getting no help from this gentleman (who also appeared to have cared less about my parking issue), I was at least lucky enough to happen upon another hotel employee back out in the parking lot who showed me an “illegal” spot and told me I could park there for the night.
And about that new “21 and over” nightclub: I can’t think of a worse decision than to open up a 21 and over nightclub on a property that also caters to families with young children. The first guest I had the displeasure to come across my first night there had apparently spent one too many hours in that “21 and over” nightclub. It was clear from his rude and outrageous behavior that the bartender should have cut him off HOURS ago. He was shouting obscenities out in the middle of the parking lot (at 10:00 p.m. no less) and creating such a disturbance that at least a dozen other guests came out of their rooms to see what was going on. One such guest said that when she complained about him to the staff, they apologized but said that there really wasn’t anything they could do because he was a “guest”. Seriously? Even when there are young children around to witness it? She said she had also seen him earlier that day smoking in areas designated as non-smoking and the staff did nothing about it.
Sorry, but when I’m paying almost $350/night at a hotel, this level of service is unacceptable. Will definitely not be returning to this hotel again until if and when they decide to go back to making guest service a priority for the actual guests staying at the resort, and back to the basics of what used to make them a fun, relaxing, family oriented destination.

9  Thank skifam415
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2015

Dear Skifam415,

We would like to start off by saying we greatly appreciate your previous years of patronage to the Anchorage. While we thank you your feedback, we would like to point out there are several discrepancies in your review.

The Surf Point 360 is a full service restaurant and lounge. While the lounge is 21+, it is certainly not a nightclub. The 360 lounge offers a light menu and outdoor seating overlooking the ocean. We close at a reasonably early hour as to cut down on any noise issues. We sometimes do have a live piano player that we find our guests enjoy. The only nightclub in Ogunquit is Main Street which is located in the center of town.

We would also like to point out that we do not offer parking to non Anchorage guests during our summer season. When our main parking attendant is not on, we have security 24 hours who check cars for parking passes. Any cars without passes are towed. We provide one parking spot for every room. We offer additional parking across the street from our main inn. Again, we monitor this closely and have not had any issues with this this summer.

We are sorry to hear you were unhappy with our new renovations. We try to give back to our guests every year by updating our different amenities. We understand not all guests are going to be happy with change. Again, we thank you for staying with us over previous years. We wish you the best on your future travels,

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 August 2015

We stayed here for six nights. The hotel is no doubt located in a prime spot in the middle of everything. You have many shops and restaurants in close walking distance. The view and the back lawn are beautiful. The rooms are very clean and nicely decorated. The grounds are well maintained.
My issues are with two main qualities of a hotel: price and customer service. Upon check in, the clerk talked so fast and quiet that I could barely understand what he said. He didn't give directions to the room, or tell us anything really other than the WI-FI password. Or maybe he did and I couldn't hear him. Our housekeeper, however, was fantastic and very personable (Paul). Rose at the front desk was very warm and helpful. The other front desk personnel were not particularly friendly. One older gentleman actually shrugged his shoulders when I asked if Fed Ex had made a delivery that I was expecting. The young man working at the "cornhole" checkout stand at the pool looked like he was taking a nap (head down on the table) and didn't utter a word when I asked for the equipment--just handed it over.) On the other hand another pool guy was helpful and responsive when they ran out of cups for water. As for the restaurant, I went over one night to get clam chowder to go. It was about 7pm and the hostess told me that I could order that at the bar. As I was walking to the bar I heard someone behind me calling to me. It was the manager (woman). She informed me that they don't do to go orders after 5pm. Thought that was strange esp since all I wanted was a cup of clam chowder. So I told her I could sit at the bar. She said "okay, but we just put in an order for a party of 20 so it's going to be awhile." At that point I decided I didn't want to give them any business, AND she seemed to not want to have me there. I told her nicely that I would leave. She said "Okay"
My other issue was that I felt this hotel was overpriced for what you got. The rooms are SMALL. We are a family of 4 and were quite cramped. Also, we paid extra for the "ocean view." Just understand that their version of "ocean view" may not be what you expect. We were on the 2nd floor Port Upper. Outside the door you could see a little of the ocean but you are on an angle and couldn't see much. There are two chairs outside the door but people constantly walked by, and I could only see the ocean when standing up. I would have rather not paid for this room and instead gotten a regular room. The lawn out back is the best place for an ocean view anyway. We spent a lot of time there enjoying the scenery.
There were a few good things about the hotel, but if I were to return to Ogunquit I'd stay elsewhere. There were other hotels nearby on the ocean I'd check out-namely Sea Chambers and Beachmere.

6  Thank Amy D

Dear Amy78735,

Thank you for you compliments on our rooms and grounds. These are comments we often hear from our guests. I will pass on your compliments to Rose and Paul.

I was able to talk to the manager you spoke with at the Surf Point 360. It sounds like there was some confusion. Unfortunately we don't serve any type of takeout during our dinner hours. Being a full service restaurant, we find it severely backs up the kitchen and the wait time increases for everyone.

When you arrived, you were with two children and did not specify that you were just looking for a cup of clam chowder. Our manager was under the impression that you were looking for to-go dinner for your entire family. We would also like to note that it is Maine State Law that patrons must be 21+ to sit directly at the bar. This is why you were told you could not be seated at that location. This seemed to upset you further. You were offered a side table in the same area which you refused. We tried our best to accommodate you and your family.

Again, we do appreciate all of your feedback. We apologize for the confusion in the restaurant. Best wishes on all of your future travels.

Kind Regards,